Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
I'll split the difference with you, and keep attacks advanced by HD.

Acceptable.

That means the Gargantuan sample gets 16 attacks and the Colossal one 32 attacks.

That's a good approach. Updated.

Weren't we going to give them All-Around Vision?

You know, I'm wondering whether these things should have multiple attacks as a standard action, like the SRD Hydra. They have a lot of souls running the same body, so ought to be good at multitasking.

'Course, it makes them a lot nastier. :devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
That means the Gargantuan sample gets 16 attacks and the Colossal one 32 attacks.

Fixed.

Weren't we going to give them All-Around Vision?

Yep. I'll add it.

You know, I'm wondering whether these things should have multiple attacks as a standard action, like the SRD Hydra. They have a lot of souls running the same body, so ought to be good at multitasking.

'Course, it makes them a lot nastier. :devil:

Yeah, while it makes some sense...I think they're nasty enough!

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, while it makes some sense...I think they're nasty enough!

"Nasty enough", we'll get nowhere with that attitude. :p

I think we're ready for skills and feats then. The medium version should have 7 skill ranks, incidentally, not 8.

Divide between Listen and Spot, with the extra rank in Spot?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Divide between Listen and Spot, with the extra rank in Spot?

Sure. I can't really see them using most other skills.

Updated.

For feats, start with Reckless Offense and Weapon Focus (claw), and slowly add in the Power Attack/Cleave tree, Improved Critical at Huge (when the BAB meets prereqs), eventually moving into epic critical feats? Or is that too cruel? (Question my nastiness, will you? :devil:)

Cleon

Legend
Sure. I can't really see them using most other skills.

Updated.

For feats, start with Reckless Offense and Weapon Focus (claw), and slowly add in the Power Attack/Cleave tree, Improved Critical at Huge (when the BAB meets prereqs), eventually moving into epic critical feats? Or is that too cruel? (Question my nastiness, will you? :devil:)

Suitably nasty it may be, but the epic critical feat chain doesn't feel thematically appropriate for Lost Souls, at least to me. I imagine them as blundering creatures that overwhelm their opponents, not monsters that deliver blows with deadly expertise.

The rest of it (Reckless, WF, Power Attack/Cleave, Imp. Crit) are fine, and I would consider the Improved Sunder/Bull Rush/Awesome Blow progression too. I also like Snatch for them.

As for the Epic Feats, I prefer stat boosting feats like Epic Will/Reflexes, Epic Toughness (multiple) and Great [Ability] - probably Great Strength and Great Charisma.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That would be ok, though the Great Ability feats are a waste --- we can just adjust the abilities by nonstandard advancement since we're writing out stat blocks anyway. So let's find something else for those two.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That would be ok, though the Great Ability feats are a waste --- we can just adjust the abilities by nonstandard advancement since we're writing out stat blocks anyway. So let's find something else for those two.

Agreed. I also don't want to give 'em Lightning/Epic Reflexes, for the same "blundering" reasons Cleon used to poo-poo the critical feats.

How about...

Medium: Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Large: Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Huge: Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Gargantuan: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Epic Fortitude, Epic Toughness (x2), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Snatch, Weapon Focus (claw)

Colossal: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Epic Prowess (x4), Epic Fortitude, Epic Toughness (x4), Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Snatch, Stand Still, Weapon Focus (claw)

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. I also don't want to give 'em Lightning/Epic Reflexes, for the same "blundering" reasons Cleon used to poo-poo the critical feats.

How about...

Medium: Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Large: Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Huge: Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (claw)

Gargantuan: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Epic Fortitude, Epic Toughness (x2), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Snatch, Weapon Focus (claw)

Colossal: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Epic Prowess (x4), Epic Fortitude, Epic Toughness (x4), Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Snatch, Stand Still, Weapon Focus (claw)

That looks good except there's little point in giving them Epic Fortitude seeing they're Undead.

Hold on, I forgot the most important Epic Feat of all...

Dire Charge!

What's the point of all those attacks if it can't use them when it moves?

How about swapping Epic Fortitude for Dire Charge?

Remove ads