Need help picking the right system, please.

ProtoClone

First Post
I am trying to find a system that can handle magic and tech in one setting. I know there is Rifts but I honestly don't want, nor do I like, that system. Is there anything else out there that has handled the two together but remained balanced?

Thasmodious

First Post
Savage Worlds. Magic, tech, superpowers, mutants, are presented as flavor variations around a central mechanical core and various aspects are often combined in the campaign worlds Pinnacle and 3PPs publish for the system.

I am trying to find a system that can handle magic and tech in one setting. I know there is Rifts but I honestly don't want, nor do I like, that system. Is there anything else out there that has handled the two together but remained balanced?
GURPS is reasonable as long as you don't try to twist the system into a knot. And has some of the best sourcebooks going. (GURPS is a lot more detail oriented than Savage Worlds - and probably less of a jump for a D&D player).

Edit: If you want something different, there's always Spirit of the Century

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Mutants & Masterminds DCA (the new edition): really good. It's all about the concept, so don't sweat things like equipment. Really great for superpowers, and for people who hate big equipment lists. It's d20-based, so it's familiar. Any of the line of books would be great, but it's a good place to start.

Treebore

First Post
I agree that Mutants and Masterminds, 2E or the DCA, as well as HERO, True 20 (with the right supplement), ICONS, the old Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, and others could be easily adapted to accommodate a magic and technology game.

Remove ads