Need help picking the right system, please.

Glyfair

Explorer
Is the only one, outside of Cyberpunk, that I can think of where it is designed from the ground up to be magic and technology. Especially if you want it set in an approximation of the modern day.
Pretty much every superhero RPG would be set up to have magic and technology. The superhero comic books cover such a wide genre that they have to be able to simulate everything from magic, high tech, wild west and mutant monstrosities.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Probably your best bets are the games that more toolkits than ready to go rpgs. As other posters above mentioned--Savage Worlds, GURPS, and Herosystem are excellent toolkits to mesh your desired blend of tech and magic.

Now if you want a ready-to-go rpg, Shadowrun pops into mind, but I've never played it so I cannot tell you of the experience for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
GURPS, Hero, Shadowrun, True 20, to name a few...

Pretty much every superhero RPG would be set up to have magic and technology. The superhero comic books cover such a wide genre that they have to be able to simulate everything from magic, high tech, wild west and mutant monstrosities.

Mindreaders!

I'll just add Mutants & Masterminds to that list, but close by saying that HERO is #1 in my book for flexibility & balance in a Multi-genre campaign setting. (OK, it's my favorite RPG system of all time...)

Last edited:

Mythmere1

First Post
I would say either GURPS or Shadowrun. Gurps is a tighter system, but more complex than I like. On the other hand, it is more adaptable to the particular type of tech you want. Tech can be interpreted a whole lot of different ways, and at a whole lot of tech "levels," so you have to keep in mind what you want from that.

I would imagine, like others have mentioned, that a superhero game of any kind would work well, but they aren't my bag, so I can't really make a suggestion comparing any of them to the two I mentioned.

Remove ads