What System For...?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Does this system support giant sized monsters or is more of a “Supernatural”/“Buffy” simulator?

Also what’s the game system like in a nutshell? Thanks!
My exposure to it was as a player only, but our intro adventure had us confronting something between a grabboid and a sandworm in size.

aramis erak

Legend
  • If you are looking for fantasy set in a more bronze age sand and sandals fantasy, RuneQuest Glorantha or Mythras.
Jackals (from Osprey) is a less gritty d100 system also set in the bronze age, and it has two books of adventure support..
  • Looking for a well thought out rebuild-the-world post apocalypse setting? The Morrow Project.
twilight:2000 can be used in the same way. If you want percentiles, 1e, 1d10 ≤ skill is 2e, 1d20 ≤ (att+skill) for 2.2, 1d(Att)+1d(skill) is 4e.
  • Wondrous, discover the world fantasy? Earthdawn
Or Arrowflight. Or, if you can find a copy, ElfQuest, built as a licensed game by Chaosium.
  • Realistic, harsh, textured low fantasy? Harn
The Hârn setting is well supported by the Hârnmaster game... but the game is a bit fiddly, and combat is potentially brutal.

Weird Fantasy: Tribe 8 (Dream Pod 9)

Sigh. Nobody ever mentions Osprey's Jackals, which is quite good - and related to BRP/RQ/Mythras mechanically. Solid original setting, and I believe it's the only Osprey RPG that's actually gotten supplements beyond a core book.

Jackals (from Osprey) is a less gritty d100 system also set in the bronze age, and it has two books of adventure support..
Hey now, I said nobody ever mentions Jackals. Why you gotta make a liar out of me? :)

But yeah, good rec for Bronze Age/Ancients fantasy. Underappreciated system and setting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What system would you recommend for...?

Running a mythic world, where the "dome of the sky" is a literal dome, the stars souls of major figures, and the constellations rearrange themselves to give omens of weal and woe. The sun is literally carried across the sky in a chariot, and rides back in the underworld every night. Speaking to the dead, or in the rarest of cases retrieving them requires a perilous trip down to the underworld. Prophesy will occur.

Challenges come in a variety of flavors that favor clever heroes who think of unexpected solutions. Combat can be part of some, but is not the most common, and probably doesn't even need the "zoom in" to highly granular actions many games give it. On the other hand, there needs to be a robust system for challenges that can handle all sorts of different resources and skills being used. Mechanically a variety of different types of consequences of these challenges should be able to be handled, from being exhausted to enraged to cursed. PC creation should be following that, not where the majority of character rules have to do with combat.

dbm

Savage!
I think you could whip up a good Cortex Prime implementation for that. It has universal conflict resolution mechanisms, you can customise traits to reflect your mythic figures if you like, and gaining statuses of various kinds is a very common outcome for conflicts (which could be positive or negative consequences!).

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
The world ended nearly 20 years ago, when the vampires finally came out of the darkness in force. Now they rule over a ruined world, farming humanity for food, pleasure and sport -- and hunt those few humans that remain free. It's The Walking Dead, but after The Strain instead of Night/Dawn of the (Living) Dead.

I ran this once using Cinematic Unisystem (because it was actually set after Buffy failed to stop the Apocalypse) but I am curious what systems would work otherwise.

In play, I imagine there is a balance between survival stuff and killing vampires stuff. Characters should be competent (because they are heroes and they have survived so long) and I want distinct features between older characters who lived before the Fall, and younger ones born after it. maybe the younger ones can't be turned? Not sure. Maybe there is magic or super powers of some sort, but maybe not?

GrimCo

Adventurer
WoD with Hunter The Vigil maybe? Depending on conspiracy chosen, you can go tech route or supernatural route. Character competency can be boosted by giving more points at character creation.

Other route is, good old "All flesh must be eaten" and use vampires from Atlas of the walking dead.

Both games are suited for undead apocalypse survival games.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
In play, I imagine there is a balance between survival stuff and killing vampires stuff. Characters should be competent (because they are heroes and they have survived so long) and I want distinct features between older characters who lived before the Fall, and younger ones born after it. maybe the younger ones can't be turned? Not sure. Maybe there is magic or super powers of some sort, but maybe not?
Fate Horror Toolkit and your favorite version of Fate. Also your best Young Idris Ebla Voice, as a salute to Ultraviolet season one and only.

MintRabbit

Explorer
The world ended nearly 20 years ago, when the vampires finally came out of the darkness in force. Now they rule over a ruined world, farming humanity for food, pleasure and sport -- and hunt those few humans that remain free. It's The Walking Dead, but after The Strain instead of Night/Dawn of the (Living) Dead.

I ran this once using Cinematic Unisystem (because it was actually set after Buffy failed to stop the Apocalypse) but I am curious what systems would work otherwise.

If you want to increase the power of the humans and add some faerie magic, Brinkwood: Blood of Tyrants might be a neat game to hack for it. The Brinkwood Codex has some neat examples of hacking the original premise for Cradenfell '66 (taking back a beloved community) and Cardanfall 2099 (cyberpunk vampires). The distinction between who becomes a vampire in the original Brinkwood was choice, and money: you have to be willing to exploit people in order to also want to drink their blood.

Character competency is supplemented by Masks, which are magical abilities that the group shares, and can be passed from character to character, so if you get tired of using the same ability, you can swap out Violence for Riot, or Judgement for Terror. Fighting Vampires means stealing their blood silver back, so the slogan for the game is "Drink the Rich"

Remove ads