What System For...?

Reynard

Legend
On the way home, I was listening to a podcast and it brought up the question of God being on one's side. I think that would be an interesting campaign: the PCs are divine agents that have to enter into conflicts of all scales, from major wars to little league games, and tip the balance to whatever side that the Ineffible chose to back this time around. The PCs would be free to do whatever they wanted, but if they did not make the right side win (or the right side lose, i suppose) they might not get their jobs and have to go back to mortal existence or the Pit or whatever.

What system for that game?

GrimCo

Adventurer
WoD. Hunter The Vigil. Lot's of endowments are inspired by divine powers. For example Ink are angelic tattoos. Benediction is invocation of saints trough the prayer ( one of the rituals is Wrathful sword of saint Michael the Archangel which turns weapon into holy weapon).

Reynard

Legend
WoD. Hunter The Vigil. Lot's of endowments are inspired by divine powers. For example Ink are angelic tattoos. Benediction is invocation of saints trough the prayer ( one of the rituals is Wrathful sword of saint Michael the Archangel which turns weapon into holy weapon).
I'm not really talking about beating up on angels or demons or whatever. I am talking about futzing with mortal concerns to get the right outcome. it might involve stabbing people, but it might also involve being a really terrible umpire (without getting called out for it).

GrimCo

Adventurer
Well, Hunters don't deal exactly with angels or deamons. Most of them don't really have very cool powers. Game has broad range of possible power levels. From your description, it looked like a good fit for WoD.

dbm

Savage!
I am talking about futzing with mortal concerns to get the right outcome. it might involve stabbing people, but it might also involve being a really terrible umpire (without getting called out for it).
That sounds like a premise that you could game with Cortex Prime, building a set of themed abilities or portfolios (like being the angel of butter fingers…) and using them to overcome varied challenges in different ways.

Cortex Prime is a very flexible engine for made games with ‘weird’ high concepts.

Reynard

Legend
That sounds like a premise that you could game with Cortex Prime, building a set of themed abilities or portfolios (like being the angel of butter fingers…) and using them to overcome varied challenges in different ways.

Cortex Prime is a very flexible engine for made games with ‘weird’ high concepts.
I am intrigued by Cortex Prime but every description of it I have encountered indicates that it is a toolkit. And while I love toolkits, I have a handful already and just don't have the bandwidth to master another.

dbm

Savage!
It’s a very different game system in my opinion. I love flexible systems: GURPS, Savage Worlds, Fate. But Cortex Prime can handle different games to any of those with aplomb.

Reynard

Legend
It’s a very different game system in my opinion. I love flexible systems: GURPS, Savage Worlds, Fate. But Cortex Prime can handle different games to any of those with aplomb.
That's not the issue for me. The issue for me is that it is not, as I understand it, playable out of the box. If I have to design the system, I'll just do that.

dbm

Savage!
The issue for me is that it is not, as I understand it, playable out of the box. If I have to design the system, I'll just do that.
It is definitely the case that assembly is required, but it is assembly rather than whole-cloth creation. And it doesn’t need to be super time consuming to add the labels that you want to the typical elements of a Cortex Prime implementation.

Reynard

Legend
It is definitely the case that assembly is required, but it is assembly rather than whole-cloth creation. And it doesn’t need to be super time consuming to add the labels that you want to the typical elements of a Cortex Prime implementation.
One of these days I will have to investigate it. Lots of people sing its praises but I have legitimately never played or even read a Cortex game as far as I know. (I was super interested in Leverage well after it was OOP.)

Remove ads