What System For...?

Reynard

Legend
One I have been thinking about is a post apocalyptic game set long after the Robot Uprising. The PCs are themselves recently (re)awakened robots that have to make their way in a world full of EXTREMELY anti-robot mutant humans. The interesting mechanical bit is that the robots do not "level" in any way, but they can upgrade by bolting on robot parts they find. Essentially, it is gear only advancement. There would be "classes" though composed on a) the original chassis of the robot PC, and b) their original programming -- neither of which can be changed. But just because you were a rikshaw frame medbot doesn't mean you can't bolt on a particle beam cannon if you find one...
Yes, I am bumping my own post because I would really like some suggestions for this concept

MGibster

Legend
Game concept: You are not investigators trying to stop the cultists of the eldritch horrors of the Cthulhu Mythos. Instead, you are the cultists who are doing everything in your power to bring about machinations of your eldritch cult.
You can't go wrong with Call of Cthulhu. I'm not aware of any offical campaigns where you're members of a cult, but it's certainly been a topic of conversation many times over the years. You'd just need to build a cult, figure out their goals, and tell players to make members and you're off! Anything that gives the Investigators something in common, a reason to strive for the common goal, is a great idea.

MGibster

Legend
One I have been thinking about is a post apocalyptic game set long after the Robot Uprising. The PCs are themselves recently (re)awakened robots that have to make their way in a world full of EXTREMELY anti-robot mutant humans. The interesting mechanical bit is that the robots do not "level" in any way, but they can upgrade by bolting on robot parts they find. Essentially, it is gear only advancement.
Savage Worlds. As characters gain experience, they can raise their Traits (skills & attributes) or access additional Edges (advantages). This could very well represent discovering new or improving current programming, modifying their bodies, etc., etc. Plus they already have rules for constructs as characters.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
One I have been thinking about is a post apocalyptic game set long after the Robot Uprising. The PCs are themselves recently (re)awakened robots that have to make their way in a world full of EXTREMELY anti-robot mutant humans. The interesting mechanical bit is that the robots do not "level" in any way, but they can upgrade by bolting on robot parts they find. Essentially, it is gear only advancement. There would be "classes" though composed on a) the original chassis of the robot PC, and b) their original programming -- neither of which can be changed. But just because you were a rikshaw frame medbot doesn't mean you can't bolt on a particle beam cannon if you find one...
Could Paranoia work for this? I know it has some supplements that are specifically focused on robots.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Yes, I am bumping my own post because I would really like some suggestions for this concept
Aspects-only Fate.

Over the Edge with gear as new side traits.

Swiping Fate of Cthulhu’s corrupted traits for cybernetic-enhanced traits. I’d do this with the FAE supplement; presumably this is not a surprise.

Unknown Arnies with cyborg upgrades the equivalent of schools of magic for various styles and priorities. The stress tracks would be really nice for interactions with others.

Or, heck, let’s get nostalgic here: Cyberpunk 2020 with its cyberpsychosis. (I dunno if Cyberpunk RED has it.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Broken record: HERO.

PCs don’t level up in quite the same way as in something like D&D- they get build points on occasion.

As a campaign rule, you could say that each PC must distribute initial build points between their chassis and whatever modules the particular ‘bot has installed.

After initial character creation, subsequently awarded points could be used on either the chassis or the modules, but not in the same way. Points expended on the chassis cannot change the actual attributes, only alter the quality of the attributes it has. Points expended on the modules could be used any way possible.

As the GM, you could even pre-design a set of chassis types for players to choose from.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is a fun thread!
My game concept is Kaiju with human PCs that's basically a Godzilla movie. I've run a few games like this in the past as one-shots, usually with a lot of homebrewing and hacking. I usually allow the players to control giant monsters in monster battle scenes (sometimes hilariously working at odds against their human characters).

Like I said, games are usually one-shots, and the tone is fairly campy, so I'm not looking for anything with a high investment cost or something that's too crunchy.

Systems I've used in the past before:
  • HERO/Champions, but I find it too crunchy
  • Call of Cthulhu (yes, this took a lot of hacking)
  • Savage Worlds (I found the dice mechanics didn't fit the genre well)

Thoughts, ideas? Thanks in advance!
I’m thinking this has Monster of the Week written all over it.

MintRabbit

Explorer
I love this concept! Alright, my turn!

Concept: Monsters through the Ages. A zoomed-out timeline of monsters starting in the Middle Ages, all the way up to the present age, possibly even the future. Either players are monsters, or they are hunting monsters.

How would you tackle this?

Reynard

Legend
I love this concept! Alright, my turn!

Concept: Monsters through the Ages. A zoomed-out timeline of monsters starting in the Middle Ages, all the way up to the present age, possibly even the future. Either players are monsters, or they are hunting monsters.

How would you tackle this?
As usual, I would first ask what the PCs are supposed to do and what sort of tone and thematic elements are important. if it is primarily action oriented, I think Savage Worlds is a perfect fit for the idea. it has all the tools necessary with a lot of optional rules to tweak tone.

If you want something scarier, Monster of the Week seems built for this and the recent supplement gives some info on playing the game in different eras if I recall.

I am not a fan of CoC or BRP in general, so I would not suggest either of those but some folks will tell you CoC is built for this given a certain tone.

Remove ads