In Search Of...obscure music

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a music nut, and I'm always on the lookout for nifty stuff to listen to. Sometimes, though, what I'm looking for is...hard to find.

There used to be a show called Bluetorch TV that featured info about skating, boarding, bikes, etc., and often had stunt reels set to music.

One I remember to this day: the song was essentially a rap revision of "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better"...except it was "Anything I Can Do, I Can Do Better" and was all about the drive to self-improvement. The video had one extremely cool feature- while the bike and skate stunts were going on, they had an inset of a balding white guy doing the rap's lyrics in sign language...even capturing some of the scratches & breaks accurately.

At least, at first...

As the song continued, the ASL aide begins to pop 'n' lock, robot, spin and generally unleash a bunch of old-school break-dancing moves as his inset circle grows, supplanting the stunts and relegating them to the background.

I captured this on a VCR tape when it first aired, but cannot find said tape at this time. And so far, my google-Fu has failed me.

So I ask: anyone know this clip or have any ideas where/how it may be found?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You know how sometimes, you ask someone else a question that's been stumping you forever...and then your mind dredges up some key detail that let's you solve the problem yourself?

That just happened.

I suddenly remembered the song was "published by Ninja Tunes"- how I knew that, I can't say- so when I did a wiki search for that label, I found a list of artists. My eye leaped to Dynamic Syncopation, and one quick YouTube search yielded unto me the piece I've been looking for, "The Plan" from way back in 1999. (Slightly different from my memory...but c'mon!)

So...thanks! And here it is, in case you were wondering:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Remove ads