Power Rankings: Weird Al's Top 26 Songs

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. And Weird Al is as professional as they come!

In honor of the Weird Al "biopic" (and yes, there is a thread on that), I am posting my list of the BESTEST EVAR Weird Al Songs. But in order to keep it ... weird, I am going to break this list up a little.

The top 10 parodies.
The top 8 originals.
The top 2 polka/medleys.
The Top 6 "deep cuts."

Got it? Eh, who cares! Embrace the chaos!

The Parodies
10. The Saga Begins. Pure. Nerdy. Goodness. Hard to remember now, but there was a time when everyone was super excited for the Prequels.

9. It's All About The Pentiums. Huge at the time, now gets a little lost in the shuffle.

8. I lost on Jeopardy. A parody that is now (perhaps, arguably) more famous than the original. Who would have thought back then that we'd all know Weird Al, but few would have heard of the Greg Kihn Band?

7. Like a Surgeon. Okay, it's not that other parody, but it still captured the 80s zeitgeist. Watch the video- but watch the original video (Madonna's Like A Virgin) first.

6. Yoda. Everyone know The Saga Begins- but this is the better Star Wars song. Search your feelings - you know it to be true.

5. Smells Like Nirvana. One of those seminal parodies (like Eat It) in which Weird Al managed to both capture and transcend the zeitgeist.

4. Word Crimes. One of his all-timers, as it combined utter pedantic geekery with a song parody.

3. Amish Paradise. Did Lord Byron ever turn a phrase like, "A local boy kicked me in the butt last week / I just smiled at him and turned the other cheek" No. No he did not.

2. White & Nerdy. If you're on this website, and you're reading a list of best Weird Al songs ... do you have to ask? Bonus fun fact- Chamillionaire is not just a one-hit wonder; he's a venture capitalist with a net worth in the eight figures.

1. Eat It. This might be controversial as the number one parody. But hear me now and believe me later- in 1984, nothing was bigger than Michael Jackson and the Thriller Album. And out of nowhere, came this parody. In retrospect, it was kind of stupid. It ... dared to be stupid. But this is where it all started. It might not be the most clever, it wasn't the first, but it's what put Weird Al on the map to stay.

The Originals
8. Everything You Know is Wrong. I wonder what the Venn Diagram is between fans of Weird Al and fans of They Might Be Giants?

7. CNR. A song that almost (almost!) rocks too hard to be funny. And yet ...still funny. If Jack White was less self-important, he would have made this.

6. You Don't Love Me Anymore. Great lyrics, but the video (a parody of Extreme's More Than Words) is what warrants this inclusion.

5. Melanie. It works on multiple levels once you realize that ... yes, a lot of "love" songs are kinda creepy and stalkery. I'm looking at you, Run for your life.

4. Dog Eat Dog. If you like the Talking Heads, you'll love this song. And if you don't ... you'll still like it.

3. Bob. Dylan? Check. Wordplay? A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.

2. Dare to Be Stupid. Is it a song, or a manifesto? We are not men, we are ... Weird Al fans.

1. One More Minute. Come for the doo-wop, stay for that last breathless "I'd rather rip my heart right out of my ribcage/With my bare hands and then throw it on the floor/And stomp on it 'till I die ....."

The Polkas

2. Polka Face. I could have picked any of a number of excellent modern Al Polkas. But c'mon .... POLKA FACE!

1. Polkas on 45. The first, and the best. There are many that disagree with me. THEY ARE WRONG.

The Deep Cuts (NO, NOTHING ABOUT BALLS OF TWINE. STOP ASKING)

6. Buy Me A Condo. For reasons, it's a good song that will remain ... a deep cut.

5. Ricky. A parody of "Mickey" this is one of the better (and funnier) parodies.

4. King of Suede. Leaping off of the Police and King of Pain ... There's a sale on our gabardine suits today / They're all thirty percent off from yesterday ....

3. Mr. Popeil. Pure perfection.

2. Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung. The song equivalent of the shaggy dog story.

1. Midnight Star. One of my favorite Al Originals. The UFOs have landed, and we'll tell you where they are ...

Zw.png

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
I don't know if I'm impressed or depressed that you know 26 Weird Al Yankovic songs well enough to rank. But either way, as always, I'm glad you did.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I don't have any real arguments against anything on this list. Though you seem to be missing Albuquerque (one of my personal faves under The Originals), and I have a soft spot for Trapped in the Drive-Thru, which I did not realize was a parody (well, stylistic parody at least).

I'd also make an argument for Livin' in the Fridge for a top spot in the Parodies section. That's one that transcends the original for me, but ... I was also a Weird Al fan first and then a "whatever he's parodying" fan somewhere else down the line.

And where's The Night Santa Went Crazy? Damn he has so many great songs. So so many.

Richards

Legend
And where's The Night Santa Went Crazy? Damn he has so many great songs. So so many.
Snarf might be saving that one for the "Holiday Songs" ranking: "The Night Santa Went Crazy," "Christmas at Ground Zero," "Happy Birthday," and heck, even "Weasel Stomping Day" would all be contenders. (Nobody said they had to be real holidays....)

I consider "Weird" Al to be a national treasure. The guy's a genius.

Johnathan

MGibster

Legend
1. Eat It. This might be controversial as the number one parody. But hear me now and believe me later- in 1984, nothing was bigger than Michael Jackson and the Thriller Album. And out of nowhere, came this parody. In retrospect, it was kind of stupid. It ... dared to be stupid. But this is where it all started. It might not be the most clever, it wasn't the first, but it's what put Weird Al on the map to stay.
I remember sitting at the restaurant attached to the P/X in Munich, Germany circa 1984 and getting excited when I realized it was "Eat It" playing on the jukebox instead of "Beat It." Yeah, Eat It wins.

No "Albuquerque".

No "Harvey the Wonder Hamster".

No "Jurassic Park".

No "Nature Trail to Hell".

It's probably not worth trying to argue the merits of some of his better-than-average offerings like Beverly Hillbillies or Word Crimes if so many of the top guns don't even make an appearance.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. And Weird Al is as professional as they come!

In honor of the Weird Al "biopic" (and yes, there is a thread on that), I am posting my list of the BESTEST EVAR Weird Al Songs. But in order to keep it ... weird, I am going to break this list up a little.

The top 10 parodies.
The top 8 originals.
The top 2 polka/medleys.
The Top 6 "deep cuts."

Got it? Eh, who cares! Embrace the chaos!

The Parodies
10. The Saga Begins. Pure. Nerdy. Goodness. Hard to remember now, but there was a time when everyone was super excited for the Prequels.

9. It's All About The Pentiums. Huge at the time, now gets a little lost in the shuffle.

8. I lost on Jeopardy. A parody that is now (perhaps, arguably) more famous than the original. Who would have thought back then that we'd all know Weird Al, but few would have heard of the Greg Kihn Band?

7. Like a Surgeon. Okay, it's not that other parody, but it still captured the 80s zeitgeist. Watch the video- but watch the original video (Madonna's Like A Virgin) first.

6. Yoda. Everyone know The Saga Begins- but this is the better Star Wars song. Search your feelings - you know it to be true.

5. Smells Like Nirvana. One of those seminal parodies (like Eat It) in which Weird Al managed to both capture and transcend the zeitgeist.

4. Word Crimes. One of his all-timers, as it combined utter pedantic geekery with a song parody.

3. Amish Paradise. Did Lord Byron ever turn a phrase like, "A local boy kicked me in the butt last week / I just smiled at him and turned the other cheek" No. No he did not.

2. White & Nerdy. If you're on this website, and you're reading a list of best Weird Al songs ... do you have to ask? Bonus fun fact- Chamillionaire is not just a one-hit wonder; he's a venture capitalist with a net worth in the eight figures.

The Originals
8. Everything You Know is Wrong. I wonder what the Venn Diagram is between fans of Weird Al and fans of They Might Be Giants?

7. CNR. A song that almost (almost!) rocks too hard to be funny. And yet ...still funny. If Jack White was less self-important, he would have made this.

6. You Don't Love Me Anymore. Great lyrics, but the video (a parody of Extreme's More Than Words) is what warrants this inclusion.

5. Melanie. It works on multiple levels once you realize that ... yes, a lot of "love" songs are kinda creepy and stalkery. I'm looking at you, Run for your life.

4. Dog Eat Dog. If you like the Talking Heads, you'll love this song. And if you don't ... you'll still like it.

3. Bob. Dylan? Check. Wordplay? A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.

2. Dare to Be Stupid. Is it a song, or a manifesto? We are not men, we are ... Weird Al fans.

1. One More Minute. Come for the doo-wop, stay for that last breathless "I'd rather rip my heart right out of my ribcage/With my bare hands and then throw it on the floor/And stomp on it 'till I die ....."

The Polkas

2. Polka Face. I could have picked any of a number of excellent modern Al Polkas. But c'mon .... POLKA FACE!

1. Polkas on 45. The first, and the best. There are many that disagree with me. THEY ARE WRONG.

The Deep Cuts (NO, NOTHING ABOUT BALLS OF TWINE. STOP ASKING)

6. Buy Me A Condo. For reasons, it's a good song that will remain ... a deep cut.

5. Ricky. A parody of "Mickey" this is one of the better (and funnier) parodies.

4. King of Suede. Leaping off of the Police and King of Pain ... There's a sale on our gabardine suits today / They're all thirty percent off from yesterday ....

3. Mr. Popeil. Pure perfection.

2. Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung. The song equivalent of the shaggy dog story.

1. Midnight Star. One of my favorite Al Originals. The UFOs have landed, and we'll tell you where they are ...

Zw.png
This has jumped to my favorite Weird Al polka

Remove ads