The Immortal's Handbook: Gods & Monsters (unfinished)

Belzamus said:
Says you! :p

I have considered the iPad as a potential way to breach the gap between making notes, doing the art and thus always being at the computer.

However, its no so much the introductory cost, but what to me seems like a complete stroke fest from Apple thats kept me from buying one so far. I'm all for giving them £200, £300, £400 or whatever, but the fact that they suck you in by forcing you to pay an additional £25 each and every month is a full force kick in the 'klinks'.

I don't want to go online with an iPad. I'm already paying 'x' amount for broadband to the house.

I just want the darn thing for making notes and creating art - then transferring that from the iPad to my computer...which again I can't do without the online aspect because they didn't include a USB connector.

Plus the hard drive on the thing is so tiny that you basically have to buy the top end model and for that I could probably buy two brand new computers that outspec the iPad a thousandfold.

Belzamus

First Post
Same to you, U_K (though, it's 5 hours early for me. ;)).

And I think I can speak for all of your 3.5 fans with a "thank you" for this very thread. A present most appreciated.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was thinking earlier that U_K would probably get things out much faster if there was a single other person that he worked with; a (junior) partner, if you will.

Obviously, his going it solo takes forever and a day. Likewise, I don't think that his working with a group of people would make things any better - having to wait on too many others' contributions inevitably causes things to stall, since the interconnectedness of writing a single book means that U_K (and some other people) all end up waiting on the not-forthcoming work of whoever can't go fast enough.

Having one other person be a part of the process, however, would probably take a lot of the work off of U_K's plate. Consider, he could write a half-finished stat block for a high-level creature/NPC, hand it to the other guy and say "polish this up" and then forget about it until the other guy sends the completed stat block back for review.

That person would also be able to legitimately poke U_K with "hurry up" emails, since they'd be much more manageable "hurry up and send me the next bit for me to do" rather than "hurry up and finish the book" messages that aren't likely to make things go any faster.

And that's overlooking that just bouncing ideas off someone else can oftentimes help stimulate one's own ideas, or that talking about something can make you more excited to get to work on it, etc.

Were U_K still writing for 3.5, I'd say that person should be me. But for 4E...I don't know.

Erevanden

Explorer
Sheeeesh, you were hiding all these wonderful things from your good gamer buddies here at Enworld all this time...shame on you ;)

If you manage to dig out some epic feats or weapon enhancements, please try to find a spare moment to post them, hmmm ?? :D

Hey Alzrius mate! :)

Alzrius said:
I was thinking earlier that U_K would probably get things out much faster if there was a single other person that he worked with; a (junior) partner, if you will.

Well the plan for the three additional writers per book still stands, albeit there was no point bringing them on for the Vampire Bestiary. So as soon as I get that book done the rest should follow much faster.

Obviously, his going it solo takes forever and a day. Likewise, I don't think that his working with a group of people would make things any better - having to wait on too many others' contributions inevitably causes things to stall, since the interconnectedness of writing a single book means that U_K (and some other people) all end up waiting on the not-forthcoming work of whoever can't go fast enough.

Thats yet to be put to the test. Lets give it a book or two and see how it goes.

Having one other person be a part of the process, however, would probably take a lot of the work off of U_K's plate. Consider, he could write a half-finished stat block for a high-level creature/NPC, hand it to the other guy and say "polish this up" and then forget about it until the other guy sends the completed stat block back for review.

That person would also be able to legitimately poke U_K with "hurry up" emails, since they'd be much more manageable "hurry up and send me the next bit for me to do" rather than "hurry up and finish the book" messages that aren't likely to make things go any faster.

And that's overlooking that just bouncing ideas off someone else can oftentimes help stimulate one's own ideas, or that talking about something can make you more excited to get to work on it, etc.

Were U_K still writing for 3.5, I'd say that person should be me. But for 4E...I don't know.

Lets see what happens with the Serpent Riders book after the Vampire Bestiary. If that effort still takes more than 3-4 months we can look into different approaches...at this juncture I am willing to try anything.

Howdy Erevanden! :)

Erevanden said:
Sheeeesh, you were hiding all these wonderful things from your good gamer buddies here at Enworld all this time...shame on you ;)

Not intentionally hiding them. :eek:

If you manage to dig out some epic feats or weapon enhancements, please try to find a spare moment to post them, hmmm ?? :D

I'll see what I can do. ;)

Remove ads