Brand Fatigue

Elton Robb

Explorer
I'm seeing some signs that D&D could be reaching the end of it's Shelf Life as a brand. Not to start an edition war, there are some signs that the product is reaching the end of it's life.

The Edition fatigue thread is talking about this right now. But I don't think it's so much "edition fatigue" as it is "brand fatigue." While 3rd Edition injected new life into D&D, the discussion about "edition fatigue" on that thread shows something else that is happening. The Dungeons and Dragons brand is running out of gas.

Are we getting tired of Dungeons and Dragons as a brand? Based on "Edition Fatigue" I'm inclined to say yes. Although many people are right, you need new editions of the game to sell more products. However, I think it might be folly for WotC to carry the Dungeons and Dragons brand name beyond it's shelf life.

What do you think?

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
No. And furthermore, that arument comes from people who have an interest in seeing D&D end. I suspect those arguments always come from competitors or from people who want to promote their brand over D&D.

And this argument has been around since second edition, at least.

Edition fatigue I can see, brand fatigue, no.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I don't think people are fed up of D&D but more the edition changes. Get comfortable with one system and changes. Do you stick with what you know, play the new edition which you may or may not like, or move on to a different system (such as Pathfinder).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Edition fatigue thread is talking about this right now. But I don't think it's so much "edition fatigue" as it is "brand fatigue." While 3rd Edition injected new life into D&D, the discussion about "edition fatigue" on that thread shows something else that is happening. The Dungeons and Dragons brand is running out of gas.

Are we getting tired of Dungeons and Dragons as a brand? Based on "Edition Fatigue" I'm inclined to say yes. Although many people are right, you need new editions of the game to sell more products. However, I think it might be folly for WotC to carry the Dungeons and Dragons brand name beyond it's shelf life.

What do you think?
I don't think you've cited any reasons it's more than edition fatigue.

The brand is a solid one, even if whatever it's associated with in 2029 won't be what I remember it being in 1979.

I can't really speak to the edition fatigue, since my 3.5 campaign is still going for a few more adventures, and we're likely to take a break from D&D altogether before deciding on a platform for the sequel.

Elton Robb

Explorer
Well, if you all are right, we will see. But remember, D&D is nothing like a certain soft drink.

And If I live to see 2079 in my mortal body, it would be a very great miracle (I'm only 36 going on to 37 this October).

kitsune9

Adventurer
All business cycles and brands go through startup, growth, maturity, and decline phases. There simply is no way to get out of such phases. However, if D&D as a brand is in the maturity or decline phase, then WotC has their work cut out for them if they want to get it back to the growth phase.

Reinviting the brand is no easy task, but it's doable. Obviously, the past attempts were to bring out a new edition, but should that be a solution now if the brand is at the maturity or decline phase? Perhaps, but maybe some other kind of innovative experience is needed in order to kick-start the brand.

Of course, I'm only stating this from the standpoint that the brand is at the maturity or decline phases. Is it? I don't know since I don't have access to the financials.

Remove ads