Brand Fatigue

Ampersand999

First Post
I looked at the shelf spaces of a few game stores I frequent. When I asked the owner whether they thought the size of the Dungeon and Dragon shelf space has decreased since they started up in 1998, they said, yes. The game is still fine, and plenty of people are playing various games, whether it is Pathfinder or D&D or any of the other variants. Dungeon and Dragon's share has simply been reduced.

Now, it is enough to say there is an edition or brand fatigue? I don't know and I'm just looking at a very small sample size. I do believe that if Dungeon and Dragon didn't pull away from the .pdf market like they did, we may not be talking about this. (Say, anyone know how well the R.A. Salvatore .pdf books are selling?) I do know one thing: Wizards tried to change horses in the middle of the stream. And it sounds like it's not working.

JoeGKushner

First Post
When Merric mentioned on his other thread about the last year for WoTC doing D&D, I think that as a role playing game it's shelf life may be over but WoTC has focused the novels on the D&D name as opposed to the Forgotten Realms name, as wel las putting specific D&D novels out.

This doesn't count board games or the upcloming (probably horrible) D&D Scyfi movie.

The brand has many moons to go.

The RPG? Might not be worth WoTC time to mess with it anymore.

Remove ads