Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
LA +3 is fine. The original monster text says that they're mostly Fighters, so that would work for favored class as far as I'm concerned. But something like a Ranger might work a little better given the ability scores.

I have trouble thinking of Ranger as being a suitable favoured class for most races. They may be mostly "semi-nomadic" but they also live in villages and they'd need some kind of cultural fondness for the Favoured Enemy ability.

Let's stick to Fighter.

Updating the Ovinaur Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
While updating the "As Characters" bit I noticed the Skills entry I'd copied from the Goatling had a missing ")" and the Listen was out of alphabetical order.

It has been fixed in the Goatling working draft.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oddly enough, the "Feats:" label in the statblock needs bolding.

I guess tactics are next. How about the following?
Ovinaurs will attack from range, but they are fond of attacking in melee to take advantage of their Opportunity Kick attacks. They use their excellent jumping ability and speed to move in and out of melee range...

Just not feeling it here. Anything about group coordination or use of SLAs?

Cleon

Legend
Oddly enough, the "Feats:" label in the statblock needs bolding.

I guess tactics are next. How about the following?
Ovinaurs will attack from range, but they are fond of attacking in melee to take advantage of their Opportunity Kick attacks. They use their excellent jumping ability and speed to move in and out of melee range...

Just not feeling it here. Anything about group coordination or use of SLAs?

How about:

Ovinaur can usually outmaneuver battlefield opponents due to their superior speed and jumping ability. They are as fond of ranged combat as they are melee. Ovinaur favor hit-and-run strikes that move in and out of their weapon's optimal attack range. While casting missiles or spells from a distance is often their most advantageous option, they really enjoy using their opportunity kick ability while in melee.

Ovinaur will flee from a fight as swiftly as they'll charge into one, but they are by no means cowards and frequently regroup to attack again.

Mortis

First Post
<Emerging from the deepest of shadows>
It's been awhile since I've contributed anything to this discussion - it may even have been the suggestion that these goatfolk be converted!

Given the ovinaurs' battlefield tactics, how about giving them Spring Attack as a bonus feat?

Mortis

freyar

Yes, agreed to all of that!

Wow, I'm really behind on posting...

Anyone have thoughts on description or flavor?

Cleon

Legend
Yes, agreed to all of that!

Updating the Ovinaur Working Draft.

Wow, I'm really behind on posting...

No worries. I compensated by getting really behind on my posting too! :p

Anyone have thoughts on description or flavor?

For the description I guess we could base it on the illustration in the PDF version of Goatmen of Kavaja in the hope it's an accurate representation of what Bruce Heard wants these critters to look like.

A centaur-like being the size of a small pony. From the waist down it has the furry body of a mountain goat, from the waist up it has the body of a small humanoid. It has patches of fur around the elbows and forearms like the feathered fetlocks of a draft horse, but the rest of its upper body has as little hair as most humanoids do. The creature has exceptionally elongated and pointed ears and a pair of horns. Its horns emerge from the topmost back of its head and curve backwards and downwards, their tips ending to either side of the nape of its neck.

The above's a bit wordy, might try to trim it down later.

freyar

That, or a shortened version, will work for the description as far as I'm concerned!

For the flavor, the original text makes it sound like ovinaurs arose due to interbreeding between goatlings and halflings, though I don't know where the centaur part came from. Do we want to use that? Sin-eating is worth a mention, but I'm not sure what else.

Cleon

Legend
That, or a shortened version, will work for the description as far as I'm concerned!

I've added the following slightly polished description to the Ovinaur Working Draft.

A centaur-like being the size of a small pony. From the waist down it has the furry body of a mountain goat, from the waist up it has the body of a small humanoid. It has patches of fur around the elbows and forearms like the feathered fetlocks of a draft horse, but the rest of its upper body has as little hair as most humanoids do. The creature has a pair of horns that emerge from the topmost back of its head and curve backwards and downwards, ending on either side of the nape of its neck. Its ears are pointed and exceptionally long

For the flavor, the original text makes it sound like ovinaurs arose due to interbreeding between goatlings and halflings, though I don't know where the centaur part came from. Do we want to use that? Sin-eating is worth a mention, but I'm not sure what else.

They're definitely a cross between goatlings and halflings since that's what Goatmen of Kavaja says. How that turned them into hexapods is as mystery, but I guess it's no more a mystery than why mixing a human with a horse results in a six-limbed centaur.

As for the background, there's not that much information in the original material and some of it is specific to Mystara.

How about:

Ovinaur are a race of goatkin formed from the intermingling of goatlings and halflings. They live in semi-nomadic clans that migrate between encampments according to the seasons, but they also have permanent villages. The most important village is a spiritual and social sites at the center of the ovinaur's dominion were they meet to perform important ceremonies and decide weighty issues under the leadership of an elder, the župan. In addition, the ovinaur have trading villages on their borders where they exchange goods with neighboring races. Ovinaur are the goatkin race most open to interaction with non-goatkin and have gained considerable knowledge and wealth from trading. They are often hired as guides or advisors by other goatkin.

All ovinaur have the peculiar ability to 'eat' the sins of the recently dead, which prevents the corpse from returning as an undead or evil spirit. Few take up this practice, since a sin-eating ovinaur risks returning as an undead themselves. The majority of ovinaurs fear sin-eaters and are more likely to shun their company than any other races.

Ovinaur speak Common, Halfling and their own language, goatspeech (or as say call it, "kozajęzyk"), which they share with goatlings and caprine. They often speak additional languages, usually Elven, Sylvan, or one of the dialects spoken by their goatfolk cousins.

Hold on a moment. Shouldn't we include a height/length and weight.

Hmm… come to think of it, we didn't the Goatling a height and weight.

For that matter, we didn't give the Goatfolk a height and weight!

Let's see, we have "Goatlings are human size (from head to toe not counting the horns.)" so how about:

A goatkin has the same height and weight as a human (their height does not include its horns).

A goatling has the same height and weight as a human (their height does not include its horns).

An ovinaur has the same weight as a human but is as short as a halfling (not including its horns). An average female ovinaur is 2 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 140 pounds, an average male ovinaur is 3 feet 1 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds.

Remove ads