Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
I thought we'd already decided on the chain shirt and buckler for the armor. Given their big advantages for Jump, I don't think I'm quite so concerned about the check penalty, but you can convince me...

I'm OK with chain shirt and buckler if you're fine with it. Twas' just I thought we hadn't finalized the current armour.

Updating the Ovinaur Working Draft.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm OK with chain shirt and buckler if you're fine with it. Twas' just I thought we hadn't finalized the current armour.

Updating the Ovinaur Working Draft.

Looks good!

Environment, Treasure, Alignment, Advancement all look fine to me. CR should probably be CR 2, since they look reasonably close to a bugbear (maybe a tad weaker). I guess LA would be +1 or +2.

Are we set to fill in the "as characters" section also?

Cleon

Legend
Some of them are on Vaults of Pandius according to Echohawk's index, but we could certainly do them all here at some point.

Most of them aren't terribly interesting as opponents. The main difference are cosmetic changes and environmental adaptation.

Mechanically, the Cynidiceans are basically "Human plus darkvision plus light sensitivity" and the Quariks are "Humans with natural crampons". The Traldar Warriors are "Humans with a racial Strength bonus". The only one with a noteworthy ability are the Traldar Vocals with their shout special attacks.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good!

Environment, Treasure, Alignment, Advancement all look fine to me. CR should probably be CR 2, since they look reasonably close to a bugbear (maybe a tad weaker). I guess LA would be +1 or +2.

I'm OK with CR 2 but was thinking LA +3. They are certainly more "character-worthy" than the Goatfolk, and we made that LA +2, plus the Goatling is LA +4.

Are we set to fill in the "as characters" section also?

We need to rework the background text and tactics, but I can do the As Characters bit if you like. Any preference for favored class?

abe ray

Explorer
Most of them aren't terribly interesting as opponents. The main difference are cosmetic changes and environmental adaptation.

Mechanically, the Cynidiceans are basically "Human plus darkvision plus light sensitivity" and the Quariks are "Humans with natural crampons". The Traldar Warriors are "Humans with a racial Strength bonus". The only one with a noteworthy ability are the Traldar Vocals with their shout special attacks.
maybe it would work best as a template?

Cleon

Legend
you should do the gator man as it's a little different than the lizard man.

The Gator Men are supposed to be the same as the Gurrash that are already in the CC.

There are enough differences between a Gator Man and Gurrash that I argued for separating the two and it looks like the vote went my way, but the Gator Man subentry never got added to the Gurrash.

Looks like something to add to the next update.

I think there's a seperate monster Homebrew of the Gator Man I did on that thread based on the 7 HD, AC 3, 3d6 bite version from Basic D&D.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm OK with CR 2 but was thinking LA +3. They are certainly more "character-worthy" than the Goatfolk, and we made that LA +2, plus the Goatling is LA +4.

We need to rework the background text and tactics, but I can do the As Characters bit if you like. Any preference for favored class?

LA +3 is fine. The original monster text says that they're mostly Fighters, so that would work for favored class as far as I'm concerned. But something like a Ranger might work a little better given the ability scores.

Remove ads