Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Not feeling inspired at the moment. Will get back to you on this one sometime later.

Here goes nothing…

Caprines are highly individualistic and vary greatly in what weapons and tactics they prefer, but generally like fighting from range with longbows or magic. Many favor ambushes, trickery and sniping foes from the underground, much like a sylvan elf. A typical caprine will quickly seek to escape from any battle it is losing, but if they are fighting for something important caprines can be implacably persistent, returning to attack again and again, with more preparation and different tactics each time. They spend their empowerment points and resonance notes liberally in any serious battle.

Being rather chaotic creatures, caprines sometimes come up with bizarrely eccentric stratagems. For example, a caprine might have a fondness for disguising herself as her enemies and tricking them into detonating fondues of killer cheese.
That seems generic enough while giving a decent idea of their preferences.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Okay.

Will have to wait a bit, if only because I'll need to remind myself about the original entries' flavour text.

It's been quite a while since I last read it.

There wasn't that much to go on in Goatmen of Kavaja, but without inventing too much I came up with this:

This person looks like a handsome male elf apart from the legs, which resemble a goat's; they are covered in fine wool and end in elegant hooves.

Caprines are an all-male race of goatkin descended from goatlings who intermingled with dryads. A caprine can have any color of skin seen in humans, from the most pallid white to the darkest black, with head hair and leg wool in a hue that matches the equivalent human. They live in Sylvan woodlands.

In general, a caprine is a joyous, carefree person who dedicates his life to all kinds of revelry. He loves music, dancing, eating, drinking and general frolicking, but his greatest passion is love itself, with courtship being what motivates him the most. A caprine almost always carries a musical instrument. Flutes are the favourite, followed by lyres and pan pipes. Caprines can have eccentric tastes, so an individual could carry almost anything that can create a tune, and a rare few prefer the music of their own voice and body.

Caprines are polyamorous and some will try to woo almost anything, but only unions with a dryad can produce another caprine. Dryads are far rarer than caprines in the forests they share, so each dryad will have multiple caprine husbands or suitors vying for her companionship. When these polyandrous unions result in a boy baby, it is always a caprine who is given into the care of his father and uncles once old enough. Girl offspring are always dryads like their mothers. These marriages are extremely open, and the dryad hardly ever objects if any of "her" caprine share their affections elsewhere. A caprine can have children with other folk, usually humanoids or fey, but the offspring are of their mother's race with slightly elflike features (and sometimes exceptionally hirsute legs) and never caprine.

Caprine society revolves around magical vibrations in the ether they call resonance. Resonance is beneficial to fey creatures, so generating large amounts of it means that sylvan beings will be abundant in the caprine's woodland home, including the dryads that caprines yearn to court. A caprine who generates the finest resonance harmonics is most likely to win over a dryad mate and produce the fittest children. The easiest way to create a lot of resonance is to have a really lavish party or festival, with as much passionate revelry as possible. The bulk of the caprine economy is geared to organising and supplying such events.

A caprine is about as tall and heavy as a male elf.
That pretty much just rephrases the original information in a slightly wordier way, with a bit of logical expansion of how caprine society works, plus the not unreasonable assumption they are the same size as male elves. While a "goat-legged elf" could be like the SRD Satyr and be "about as tall and heavy as a half-elf," I'd rather make them elf-size.

I did wonder whether to say anything about horns, but the original text doesn't say if caprines even have horns. The original text's only description is "They are goat-legged elves, with skin tones varying from white, to copper, to black, with corresponding lower-body coats."

Since elves don't (usually) have horns in D&D, I guess that implies caprine are hornless, but they could have horns like satyrs or regular goatkin. It seemed prudent not to mention any head ornaments.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it!
And I think that means they're done. After only 6.5 years! Actually, with that many special abilities, that's kind of not so bad. :p

What's next?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The purple text for the characters section actually looks fine. LA is +3 from the main stat block.
Class skills are whatever we gave it ranks in, right? So that would be Concentration, Know (nature), Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Spot, Tumbling, I think.
We never listed languages in the main text! I guess Common, Elven, Goatspeech make sense for a normal Int 11 caprine. For bonus languages, maybe Sylvan, Halfling, Abyssal, Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc?
(Note: the links to the goatling and goatfolk working drafts aren't working, but the posts are still there if you click through to the right page.)

Remove ads