Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, before we start with the resonance (that is going to be tricky...), I just realized something. In the original text, both ovinaurs and caprines "have access to second level Goat Magic cast at half their experience level (rounded down)." Shouldn't that mean that they just get through protection from evil and not empowerment or discerp (comparing to the original goatling)?

Well if we strictly followed the original progression they'd both only have detect magic, since they'd need to be 4th level for the protection from evil.

Anyhow, I'm OK giving the basic 3 HD ovinaur and caprine the empowerment/discerp abilities. Even in the original Empowerment is a supernatural "innate ability" rather than a "spell", so I feel we're OK keeping it separate.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The way we have it, 1-5 HD goatfolk have detect magic and protection from evil. I think I'd limit the SLAs just to those, though I'm ok with leaving empowerment and discerp. On the other hand, the original text mentions empowerment of resonance, so maybe we can just leave the whole thing in, I don't know.

I like the basic set up of resonance that you have, but I don't understand how the daily limits work. What if we just set the max number of notes as in your red text and then have them expire each day or something?

Cleon

Legend
The way we have it, 1-5 HD goatfolk have detect magic and protection from evil. I think I'd limit the SLAs just to those, though I'm ok with leaving empowerment and discerp. On the other hand, the original text mentions empowerment of resonance, so maybe we can just leave the whole thing in, I don't know.

I favour giving all caprines empowerment and discerp.

I like the basic set up of resonance that you have, but I don't understand how the daily limits work. What if we just set the max number of notes as in your red text and then have them expire each day or something?

That's OK, I don't think the original text is terribly understandable on that point either.

Anyhow, it's getting late so I'm calling it a night.

Hopefully I'll whip up a clearer version of the usage limit on another day.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, let's make sure we agree on how we want resonance notes to work before figuring out the description.

The relevant passage from Goatmen of Kavaja is:

The total accumulated resonance determines what abilities are available to a caprine. Only one day's worth of resonance can be accumulated at any time. Abilities can only be used once and require the use of a caprine's flute or other chosen instrument. Unused abilities remain available until the caprine begins a new day's work (frolicking, playing music, etc), which resets the process. What day to accumulate resonance remains at the player's discretion. Unspent abilities cannot be saved for later use when the caprine starts accumulating new harmonics. The powers described below cannot be empowered unless indicated otherwise. Some require a caprine to play music for more than a round. If it sustains from an attack. The caprine's music is interrupted and its effect ends.​

So the original version breaks down to the following points.

a) The caprine starts accumulating resonance over a day (using the "striking a resonance" activities we have loosely agreed on). As soon as it begins this process the caprine loses any previous resonance accumulation it has.
b) The caprine's accumulated resonance score remains until it starts another day's accumulation.
c) The number of resonance notes a caprine has accumulated determines what resonance abilities it can use.
d) Once a caprine has used a resonance ability, it cannot use the ability again until it has accumulated a new day's worth of resonance.

I'd be happy using the above modified with the addition of a level-and-ability based cap on the maximum amount of resonance it can accumulate.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking the "Charisma and Constitution scores plus 10 times its hit dice" limit might be a little to high, since it means an average Caprine has a resonance limit of 55 (i.e. "killer cheese & vitalize"). It only needs to be about 7th level to max out at 100 resonance and gain its Sound of Death ability.

Maybe make it "Charisma and Constitution scores plus 5 times its hit dice" for a 40 resonance cap for an average Caprine or " 5 times its hit dice plus either its Charisma or Constitution score (whichever is higher)" for a 28 cap? Either would give "mask & summon fairy folk" as an average caprine's peak power, and require the Caprine to be roughly 14th to 17th level to use Sound of Death.

That seems better. I prefer the "Charisma or Constitution" version since it means a caprine needs a few class levels to gain the 41+ resonance it needs to make Killer Cheese. The "Charisma and Constitution" version just needs slightly above-average stats to use that ability. It depends how cheesy we want them to be!

Actually, reading the resonance ability descriptions again a lot of them aren't that powerful. Sound of Death only does 10% of enemy's hit points per round. It's no-save and only affects enemies, which are both useful, but taking a whole 10 rounds to kill the enemy means the caprine's only likely to finish if it's being protected by allies until it finishes playing.

I'd be inclined to make it nastier than that. The previous resonance rank's March to War is roughly equivalent to the spell shadow walk, which is a 6th-level spell (for Wizards/Sorcerers, it's 5th-level for Bards).

Therefore Sound of War ought to be at least as nasty as circle of death, which is the same level as shadow walk. As written it's not really any more effective than a wall of fire.

Maybe have it potentially kill in two or three rounds instead of ten?

Anyhow, we can leave worrying about that until later.

freyar

Killer Cheese is such a weird ability name.

Anyway, I think I would go with your Con or Cha plus 5xHD proposal for the total resonance notes. The next question I guess is if we want them to behave something like spell slots --- you can keep them until you "reset" in this case by frolicking or whatever. Does that work?

Cleon

Legend
Killer Cheese is such a weird ability name.

Well it is a pretty weird ability, so that's appropriate.

Anyway, I think I would go with your Con or Cha plus 5xHD proposal for the total resonance notes.

I'll update the Resonance Rough Draft.

The next question I guess is if we want them to behave something like spell slots --- you can keep them until you "reset" in this case by frolicking or whatever. Does that work?

I suppose that's the general idea, although the number of "slots" it gets are determined by how much resonance it generates on each "reset" and the contents of each "spell slot" are fixed. It always has one taunt and one damper in its "second level slots", it can't have two haunts or two dampers.

That's pretty much how it works as written, but I guess we need to rephrase it to be clearer.

Hmm…

I need to be going out, but might try writing something up later. I'll have to mull this over…

Cleon

Legend
I need to be going out, but might try writing something up later. I'll have to mull this over…

Let's have a stab at this…

To be added to the Caprine Working Draft once finished:

Resonance (Su): A caprine can create a form of ethereal energy called harmonic resonance from the joyful and pleasurable sensations of living sentient creatures. It can then expend this resonance to create a wide range of supernatural effects.

A caprine can spend empowerment points to enhance some of its resonance abilities. Details are given in the individual ability descriptions.

Resonance effects are harmonics in the ether, so the caprine can only use resonance on Planes that overlap the Ethereal Plane or when it's in the Ethereal Plane. If they travel to a plane that is not contiguous to the Ethereal Plane a caprine is unable to use any of the resonance abilities described below, although it does not lose any harmonic resonance it may have already accumulated.

Resonance Overview:
Resonance is measures in resonance notes. The maximum number of resonance notes a caprine can sustain at any one time is equal to its Charisma or Constitution score (whichever is higher), plus 5 notes for each of the caprine's Hit Dice. A caprine's resonance powers are determined by its resonance score. This score is the total number of resonance notes the caprine can accumulate over a day spanning from dawn to dawn (see Striking a Resonance for further details).

The caprine can use a given resonance ability (as listed in the Resonance Abilities Table below) as soon as its resonance score is high enough to qualify for it. Most resonance abilities do not interfere with a caprine's accumulation of resonance notes, so a caprine can use a resonance ability and then continue increasing its resonance score in order to access higher-ranking abilities. The sole exception is the sound of death ability, which prevents any further use of resonance abilities until the caprine resets its resonance score.

A resonance ability may only be used one time after it begins accumulating resonance notes. The resonance score persists until the caprine decides to accumulate a new day's resonance score. This resets the caprine's resonance score to zero, causing it to lose any unused abilities from its previous resonance score but allowing each resonance ability to be used once more.

Striking a Resonance:
There are six methods by which a caprine can produce resonance. A caprine can gain resonance from each method only once per day. If it fails at an attempt to strike resonance it can try again until it succeed or runs out of time or resources. Once it has succeeded at striking resonance it cannot use that method again to increase that day's resonance score.

With the exception of the most basic method of Cavorting, all resonance striking methods require skill or ability checks and the participation of one or more partners. The Aid Another action cannot be used to enhance the checks made to strike resonance but any other bonus to skill or ability checks apply, including those from the caprine's empowerment ability. Two or more caprines may simultaneously strike resonance off each other – for example, a group of caprines in a "dance party" can each use the dancing method and include the other caprines as their dancing partners. Each caprine in such a group makes their resonance checks separately.

The six methods by which a caprine can strike harmonic resonance notes are as follow:

Cavorting: The caprine spends an uninterrupted hour gamboling outdoors through places filled with living plants, such as a forest, meadow or blooming desert. This earns 1d6 resonance notes.

Music: The caprine plays music in front of a willing audience for at least 10 minutes. At the end of their performance, the caprine attempts either a DC 10 Charisma check or a DC 15 Perform (instrument) or Perform (sing) check. If they succeed, a number of intelligent creatures equal to 1 plus the amount by which the caprine's check exceeds the DC gather to listen, and the caprine gains one resonance note per audience member. For example, a caprine that rolled 14 on a DC 10 Charisma check would earn 5 resonance notes and gather an audience of 5 creatures. However, if the DM deems that there are not sufficient intelligent creatures nearby, the caprine can only gain notes up to the maximum practical size of the audience.

Imbibing: The caprine shares flagons of strong drink with a group of revellers for at least 10 minutes. At the end of the merry drinking, the caprine attempts either a DC 10 Constitution check or a DC 15 Concentration check (or a DC 15 Autohypnosis check if the campaign uses the Psionics rules). If they succeed, a number of intelligent creatures equal to 1 plus the amount by which the caprine's check exceeds the DC stop to share a toast, and the caprine gains one resonance note per drinker. For example, a caprine that rolled 18 on a DC 15 Concentration check would earn 4 resonance notes and drink a toast with 4 creatures. However, if the DM deems that there are not sufficient intelligent creatures available, the caprine can only gain notes up to the maximum practical size of the drinking party.

A caprine normally uses this ability somewhere people are already imbibing, such as a busy tavern or rowdy party. If the caprine has to pay for the drinks it usually costs 1 sp per person (minimum 1 gp). High-quality (i.e. "masterwork") drinks may be available that grant a +2 circumstance bonus on the resonance-gathering check but cost 2 gp per person (minimum 20 gp).

Dancing: Caprines of 4 or higher Hit Dice can perform this resonance striking method. The caprine dances dizzily for at least 10 minutes with one or more willing dance partners. At the end of this period, the caprine attempts either a DC 10 Dexterity check, a DC 15 Perform (dance) check or a DC 15 Tumble check. If they succeed, they accumulate resonance notes equal to one plus the amount by which their check result exceeded the DC up to a maximum equal to the number of partners the caprine is dancing with. For example, a caprine that rolled 14 on a DC 10 Dexterity check would earn 5 resonance notes from Dancing provided it has five or more dancing partners.

Reveling: Caprines of 5 or higher Hit Dice can perform this resonance striking method. The caprine must join or gather a group of at least 20 intelligent creatures and "party" for at least 1 hour. The caprine then makes three skill or ability checks as if they were simultaneously performing the Music, Imbibing and Dancing resonance methods. If they succeed on any of these checks, they gain resonance equal to the check that produced the greatest number of resonance notes using the methods detailed in the Music, Imbibing and Dancing methods (as appropriate), plus a bonus of 5 points if they succeeded at 2 of the checks or 10 points if they succeeded at all three. Unlike the other methods, there is no cap based on the number of revellers. If the result exceeds the number of participants present when the revels begin additional intelligent creatures will join the celebration.

Example: A caprine completes a revelry and rolls a 21 Perform (wind instruments) for Music while playing a flute, a 19 Con for Imbibing, and a 13 Tumble for Dancing. The DC 15 Tumble check is a failure, the DC 15 Perform check is a 6-point success and the DC 10 Con check is a 10-point success. The highest success is the Con results, so the caprine earns 15 resonance notes; 10 from the success level plus a bonus of 5 for succeeding on two checks.​
Partnering: Caprines of 6 or higher Hit Dice can perform this resonance striking method. The caprine and another willing intelligent creature spend at least 1d4+4 hours performing a task together. The precise task is unimportant, provided both partners passionately dedicate themselves to it. Traditional caprines prefer to use partnering to enjoy "a night of heaven" with their partner, but a solid game of chess or discussion of poetry or architecture can generate just as many resonance notes. Both partners must make a DC 20 skill check against the same Craft, Knowledge or Perform skill. If either partner succeeds, the caprine gains resonance equal to 1 plus the amount by which the highest result exceeds the DC. If both partners succeed at the skill check the caprine gains a bonus of 10 resonance notes. The DM also has the discretion to award between 1 and 10 bonus resonance notes (typically 5) for role playing on the part of the caprine's or partner's player. Note that partnering cannot be used to manufacture items or affect other creatures – the partners are enjoying themselves too much to produce anything useful.

Resonance Abilities:
Starting a resonance effect is a standard action. Some resonance abilities require concentration, which means the caprine must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using a resonance ability that doesn't require concentration, a caprine cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands), or command word. Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf caprine has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use resonance. If they fails, the attempt still counts against their daily limit.

Resonance Abilities Table
Resonance ScoreAbilities
1-5ferocity, morale
6-10damper, taunt
11-20cause/remove fear, charm, sleep
21-40mask, summon sylvan folk
41-70killer cheese, vitalize
71-100covet, march to war
101+sound of death

Cause/Remove Fear: A caprine with a resonance score of 11 or more can play a tune that inspires courage or terror in all creatures within 40 feet of the caprine. A "terror" tune affects enemies who hear it like a cause fear spell, while a "courage" tune affects allies who hear it like a remove fear spell. Note that creatures with 6 or more HD are immune to the cause fear spell. Treat this power as if it were a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to the caprine's Hit Dice and a Will save DC equal to 11 plus the caprine's Charisma modifier. The fear or courage effect lasts for 1 round per HD of the caprine. This is a mind-affecting sonic fear ability.

Fascinate: A caprine with a resonance score of 11 or more can enrapture creatures by playing a musical instrument. The music affects all non-allies within 40 feet. Affected creatures must see and hear the caprine play and be able to pay attention to the performance. The caprine must also be able to see the creature. Distractions such as combat or other dangers prevent the ability working. Affected creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) or be fascinated for as long as the caprine continues to play and concentrate, up to a maximum of 1 round per Hit Dice of the caprine. Any potential threat allows affected creatures a new saving throw. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. This is a mind-affecting sonic enchantment (compulsion) ability.

Covet: A caprine with a resonance score of 71 or more can use alluring music to give all creatures within 40 feet (except the caprine itself) an irrational desire for something or someone within 10 feet of the caprine. The creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) or begin coveting the object or creature indicated by the caprine. The effect lasts for 1 hour per Hit Dice of the caprine. Affected creatures may make additional Will saves (same DC) to shake off the effects every hour or if they are endangered by the resonance effect (with a +5 bonus on their save if whatever they covet threatens them). If they fail this save, an affected creature cannot initiate attacks against a coveted creature but may defend themselves from it.

How affected creatures act on the desires raised by covet depends on their alignment and personality: an evil being may want to molest or control the coveted target, while a good creature may try to woo or protect it. Coveting creatures will compete with each other to possess the target but will not act against their basic nature. Thus, close friends or good-natured allies will use persuasion, bribes, tricks or non-lethal force rather than try to kill or cripple their rivals. This is a mind-affecting sonic compulsion ability.

Damper: A caprine with a resonance score of 6 or more can use music to counter magical effects that depend on sound. This works like a bard's countersong ability except the caprine must use a musical instrument for the Perform check. Damper is a sonic ability.

Ferocity: A caprine with a resonance score of 1 or more can play a musical instrument and inspire ferocity in its allies (not including itself), improving their combat abilities. The caprine must concentrate the first round they use this ability but does not need to maintain concentration to continue playing on subsequent rounds. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the caprine's ferocious tune. Affected allies receive a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the caprine's music. Ferocity is a mind-affecting sonic ability.

Killer Cheese: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play music so sour it can turn an open container of milk into cheese, creating up to 1 pound of cheese per Hit Dice of the caprine. The caprine needs a vat or bucket plus a gallon of milk per pound of cheese. After 1d4+1 rounds the cheese begins emitting concentrated fumes that smell so pungent the cheese can easily be smelled from a mile away, in indoors areas such as a dungeon the odor can be smelled from 200 feet away. Creatures with the scent ability can detect the cheese from even greater distances.

The cheese and its fumes are explosively inflammable. If an open flame comes within 10 to 20 feet of the cheese vat (roll 2d6+8 ft. per round) it ignites the concentrated fumes and the entire vat explodes, causing 1d6 damage per HD of the caprine up to a maximum equal to the pounds of cheese created or 20d6, whichever is lower; this damage is half fire and half bludgeoning because it combines intense heat and concussive force. The explosion covers a burst with a radius of 5 ft. for a 1d6 damage explosion; 10 ft. for 2d6 to 4d6; 20 ft. for 5d6 to 10d6; 30 ft. for 11d6 to 15d6 and 40 ft. for 16d6 to 20d6. Even bigger bursts can be created by combining multiple batches of non-fuming killer cheese, as detailed below. The maximum damage of killer cheese is 20d6.

After an hour the cheese vat stops its intense fuming and becomes less explosive. This also happens if the cheese is cut up into chunks, normally creamy morsels that weigh one pound each. This low-explosive form of the cheese only explodes if it makes contact with fire. The damage it does varies depending on how many pounds of cheese are exploded (see below and the Creamy Explosions Table). It does not matter what vat the killer cheese came from, creamy morsels created by different caprine can be piled together to produce a larger explosion. Killer cheese morsels remain explosive for 2 days. Its explosive properties are a spell-like ability so can be removed by dispel magic and suppressed by antimagic.

A single morsel of cheese explodes for 1d3 damage; 2 to 20 morsels of cheese explode for 1d6 damage per 2 morsel of cheese (up to 10d6 damage at 20 pounds/morsels); after which the explosion increases by 1d6 damage per 10 additional morsels up to 16d6 damage at 80 pounds; after which the explosion increases to 17d6 at 100 pounds, 18d6 at 125 pounds, 19d6 at 160 pounds and finally the maximum damage of 20d6 at 200 morsels or more. Once the maximum damage is achieved, additional cheesy morsels can increase the radius of the explosion but not the damage; multiplying the number of cheesy morsels by X squared multiplies the burst radius by X.

Creamy Explosion Table
Creamy Morsels*Damage (Half Fire / Half Bludgeoning)Burst Radius*
1 pounds1d65 ft. radius
2-3 pounds1d65 ft. radius
4-5 pounds2d610 ft. radius
6-7 pounds3d610 ft. radius
8-9 pounds4d610 ft. radius
10-11 pounds5d620 ft. radius
12-13 pounds6d620 ft. radius
14-15 pounds7d620 ft. radius
16-17 pounds8d620 ft. radius
18-19 pounds9d620 ft. radius
20-29 pounds10d620 ft. radius
30-39 pounds11d630 ft. radius
40-49 pounds12d630 ft. radius
50-59 pounds13d630 ft. radius
60-69 pounds14d630 ft. radius
70-79 pounds15d630 ft. radius
80-99 pounds16d640 ft. radius
100-124 pounds17d640 ft. radius
125-159 pounds18d640 ft. radius
160-199 pounds19d640 ft. radius
200+ pounds20d640 ft. radius
300+ pounds20d650 ft. radius
450+ pounds20d660 ft. radius
800+ pounds20d680 ft. radius
1,000+ pounds20d690 ft. radius
1,250+ pounds20d6100 ft. radius
1,600+ pounds20d6120 ft. radius
2,000+ pounds20d6125 ft. radius
2,500+ pounds20d6140 ft. radius
3,200+ pounds20d6160 ft. radius
4,000+ pounds20d6180 ft. radius
5,000+ pounds20d6200 ft. radius
8,000+ pounds20d6250 ft. radius
×4 weight20d6×2 radius

Killer cheese is outstandingly delicious and remains edible for one to two weeks (1d8+6 days). Natural and magical preservatives can be used to extend this period of edibility, but no preservation technique can extend the time that killer cheese remains explosive. Dispelling the cheese's explosive spell-like properties does not affect its flavor, scent or nutritional qualities.

Empowerment: A caprine can use empower damage on a killer cheese explosion if they made all the exploding cheese themselves, a creamy explosion that uses creamy morsels made by more than one caprine cannot have its damage empowered. A caprine who uses empower spell magnitude on their killer cheese creates one additional pound of cheese for every 2 empowerment points it expends (maximum bonus +5 pounds of cheese). This does not increase the cheese vat's fuming explosion damage which is based on the caprine's Hit Dice.

Creating killer cheese is a sonic ability.

March to War: A caprine with a resonance score of 71 or more can play a tune on a musical instrument that partially shifts creatures into the Ethereal Plane. The tune shifts the caprine plus up to 4 Hit Dice worth of creatures per HD of the caprine who are within 40 feet of the goatkin. The caprine chooses what order the tune shifts creatures in, an unwilling target is allowed a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) to avoid shifting. A marching creature is incorporeal and invisible to creatures on the Prime Material Plane, fully material and visible to creatures on the Ethereal Plane, and moves at five times its normal land speed (i.e. 15 miles per hour for a 30 ft. speed). Other forms of movement, such as flight, are not increased by March to War.

This resonance power lasts for as long as the caprine continues to play. If a creature ever moves more than 40 ft. from the caprine, its marching effect immediately ends and the creature becomes visible and corporeal. Effects that interfere with interdimensional travel, such as the dimensional lock spell, will interfere with March to War.

Empowerment: A caprine can use empower spell magnitude on March to War. For every 2 empowerment points it expends it can affect one additional creature of any Hit Dice.

Mask: A caprine with a resonance score of 21 or more can use resonance to make themselves—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—appear to be a human, elf or half-elf. The caprine can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. They cannot impersonate an existing individual, but each mask they apply can appear to be a different person or recreate an appearance they've already used. The caprine's abilities do not change. If they use this spell to create a disguise, the caprine gets a +10 bonus on the Disguise check. The mask lasts for 1d4+4 hours or until sunrise, whichever happens first. This is a illusion (glamer) ability.

Morale: A caprine with a resonance score of 1 or more can play a musical instrument to inspire bravery in its allies (not including itself), improving their morale. The caprine must concentrate the first round they use this ability but does not need to maintain concentration to continue playing on subsequent rounds. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the caprine's courageous tune. Affected allies receive a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear and charm effects. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the caprine's music. Ferocity is a mind-affecting sonic ability.

Sleep: A caprine with a resonance score of 11 or more can play a lullaby that puts up to 2d8 Hit Dice of creatures within 100 feet of the caprine into a magical slumber that lasts for 4d4 minutes. This ability only affects creatures with 4 or less Hit Dice, those with 5 or more HD are immune to the lullaby. Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first. Among creatures with equal HD, those closest to the caprine are affected first. Hit Dice that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted. Unconscious creatures and those who do not sleep (such as undead or constructs) are not targeted. Sleeping creatures are helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action). This is a mind-affecting sonic compulsion ability. It can not be empowered.

Sound of Death: A caprine with a resonance score of 101 or more can play a terrible cacophany on a musical instrument that lasts 10 rounds. This heart-wrenching sound starts harmful vibrations in any living creature who hears the tune and is within 40 feet of the caprine when it starts to play. Starting sound of death is a standard action that requires concentration. The caprine must sing or play a musical instrument each round they maintain the sound, this is a free action that doesn't require concentration.

The caprine can tune sound of death so it affects or spares particular creatures, specifying what individuals, races or species the sound harms or does not harm. At the end of each round, the caprine takes 1d8 hit points of damage, and all creatures affected by the sound's initial vibrations that are within earshot of the tune (a 300 ft. spread) take 2d8 damage. However, this damage cannot reduce the affected creature below 0 hit points. At the end of the final tenth round, all creatures affected by sound of death (apart from the caprine) will automatically die (no save) if they are at 0 or negative hit points, or die if they fail a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 plus half the caprine's HD plus its Charisma modifier) if they have positive hit points.

If the caprine is forced to stop playing the sound of death before the tune finished on the 10th round, the caprine takes 1d3 Constitution drain damage with no saving throw.

A bard can use countersong against sound of death. Each round of the countersong, he makes a Perform check. If the result matches or exceeds a Perform check by the caprine (part of the free action to maintain sound of death) then any creature within 30 feet of the bard (including the bard himself) automatically succeeds on their Fort save against the sound of death. If the bard performs countersong on the final round, a victim with 0 or negative hit points is allowed a Fortitude saving throw (DC as above). If this save succeeds, the victim escapes automatic death and becomes stable at –5 to –9 hit points (d4+5) or their current hit points, whichever is lower.

Sound of Death is a sonic death effect.

Summon Sylvan Folk: A caprine with a resonance score of 21 or more can summon fey or woodland beings to its aid. Unless otherwise stated, this power works like a summon nature's ally spell. This power cannot summon entities tied to a specific area or object such as dryads or shargugh. The number and power of the sylvan folk is limited by the caprine's Hit Dice as follows:

Sylvan Summons Level Table
Caprine Hit DiceMaximum Summoning*
1–2summon sylvan folk I
3–4summon sylvan folk II
5–6summon sylvan folk III
7–8summon sylvan folk IV
9–10summon sylvan folk V
11–12summon sylvan folk VI
13–14summon sylvan folk VII
15–16summon sylvan folk VIII
17 or highersummon sylvan folk IX
*Caprines can also summon sylvan aid of any level lower than this maximum down to summon sylvan folk I.

A caprine can summon a uniform group of the same creature or a mixed group of two different creatures.

When summoning a uniform group, a caprine can summon any selection from the following table (down to a minimum of rank I creatures):

Sylvan Summons Table for Uniform Group
1 creatures of summons level rank
1d3 creatures of summons level rank–1
1d4+1 creatures of summons level rank–2
2d4+2 creatures of summons level rank–3
4d6 creatures of summons level rank–4
6d6 creatures of summons level rank–5
8d6 creatures of summons level rank–6
10d6 creatures of summons level rank–7
12d6 creatures of summons level rank–8

When summoning a mixed group, a caprine can summon one selection from Column A plus one selection from Column B of the following table:

Sylvan Summons Table for Mixed Group
Column AColumn B
1 creature of summons level rank–1
1d4+1 creatures of summons level rank–3
2d6 creatures of summons level rank–4
3d6 creatures of summons level rank–5
4d6 creatures of summons level rank–6
5d6 creatures of summons level rank–7
6d6 creatures of summons level rank–8
1d3 creatures of summons level rank–2
1d4+1 creatures of summons level rank–3
2d6 creatures of summons level rank–4
3d6 creatures of summons level rank–5
4d6 creatures of summons level rank–6
5d6 creatures of summons level rank–7
6d6 creatures of summons level rank–8

The following table groups representative sylvan creatures by their summoning rank. Additional creatures can be added at the DM's discretion:

Table of Sylvan Creatures by Summoning Rank
Rank 1 Summons: Flitterling [LG], Haudhla, Oh-do-wa (jogah) [LN], Sidhe
Rank 2 Summons: Bogeyman [CE], Boggie [any non-Good], Bramble [NE], Kitsune Kasumi, Kruel [CN, CE], Gremlin (sprite)[any Chaotic]
Rank 3 Summons: Centaur [NG], Faerie Changeling [any non-Evil], Satyr [CN; without pipes]
Rank 4 Summons: Batibat [CN, no talisman], Callicantzaros [NE], Gahonga [CN], Grain Nymph, Giant Owl [NG]
Rank 5 Summons: Chevall [NG], Nixie (sprite) [Aquatic], Satyr [CN; with pipes], Shatjan [LN], Stone Maiden [NG], Unicorn [CG]
Rank 6 Summons: Agta [CN], Manggus [CE], Nereid [CN], Pixie (sprite) [NG; no special arrows], Sakina [CG]
Rank 7 Summons: Baobhan Sith [CE], Pixie (sprite) [NG; with sleep arrows], Korred [CN], Thunder Child [NE], Treant [NG]
Rank 8 Summons: Actaeon, Ga-hon-ga (jogah) [CG], Phouka (includes lach púca) [CN], Quickling [CE]
Rank 9 Summons: Great Callicantzaros [NE], Grig (sprite) [NG; with fiddle], Leprechaun, Pixie (sprite) [NG; with sleep & memory loss arrows and can cast irresistible dance], Unicorn Celestial Charger [CG]

Taunt: All enemies within 40 feet of the caprine must succeed on a Will saving throw (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) or become enraged. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same caprine’s taunt for 24 hours. Enraged victims charge to attack the caprine in an attempt to interrupt its offensive music, taking the most direct route available. Taunted creatures can attack creatures or obstacles that obstruct their approach to the caprine. The taunt effect is automatically broken if another creature injures the victim or if the path to the caprine leads into a dangerous area (flames, off a cliff, or the like). A bard’s countersong ability allows a taunted victim to attempt a new Will save. The effect continues for as long as the caprine sings and maintains concentration, affecting new enemies who enter the taunt's area of effect. Taunt is a mind-affecting sonic compulsion ability.

Vitalize: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play music that fills living creatures (including the caprine itself) with energy and health. The caprine can play this vitalizing tune for up to 1 round per Hit Dice. Each round it makes a Perform check with a DC of 15 plus +1 per previous check. If it succeeds, it can vitalize a single creature within 40 feet and continue playing; if it fails the Perform check the vitalizing tune ends. The target creature can choose to make a Will save (DC 10 plus 1/2 caprine's HD plus caprine's Cha modifier) against the tune, if they succeed they are not vitalized and cannot be targeted again by that vitalizing tune.

While the caprine plays a vitalizing tune, creatures vitalized by it are so full of uninhibited vigor they have difficulty doing anything requiring calm or concentration. They can perform energetic actions such as fighting, dancing or carousing normally, but must succeed at a DC 10 Concentration check to perform actions that require stillness or focus, including spellcasting, Intelligence-based skill checks and Hide, Move Silently or Open Locks checks. Once the vitalizing tune ends, affected creatures can act normally but remain vitalized for 1 hour per HD of the caprine (maximum 24 hours).

Being vitalized immediately removes the fatigue and exhaustion conditions. For each 4 hour period that passes, a vitalized creature recovers 1 hit point per character level and 1 point of ability score damage, just as if they healed naturally for a day. Unlike normal magical healing, vitalize can cure nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst. In addition, a vitalized creature becomes temporarily immune to disease and poison. However, any poison or disease in the creature's system or that it is exposed to during the period of vitality will affect them once the duration has expired (as per delay poison).

Last edited:

freyar

When you say " This score is the total number of resonance notes the caprine can accumulate over a day spanning from dawn to dawn (see Striking a Resonance for further details)," do you mean it is the number that it has accumulated and not yet spent? It reads like it's equal to the max number listed in the line above.

The framework is pretty good, but I think we just need to clarify this a bit more. I think what you mean is that (a) the caprine has one day to accumulate notes (b) then it can't accumulate any more (only spend them) until it decides to reset (c) if it spends during the day it is accumulating, it can still accumulate more. There's some exceptions, but is that basically what you mean?

Cleon

Legend
When you say " This score is the total number of resonance notes the caprine can accumulate over a day spanning from dawn to dawn (see Striking a Resonance for further details)," do you mean it is the number that it has accumulated and not yet spent? It reads like it's equal to the max number listed in the line above.

The framework is pretty good, but I think we just need to clarify this a bit more. I think what you mean is that (a) the caprine has one day to accumulate notes (b) then it can't accumulate any more (only spend them) until it decides to reset (c) if it spends during the day it is accumulating, it can still accumulate more. There's some exceptions, but is that basically what you mean?

A caprine doesn't really "spend" resonance points to use its resonance powers. The resonance score determines what powers it is able to use, and each can be used once per resonance-accumulation.

So it's more:

(a) A caprine can "reset" its resonance score to zero and then has one day to gather notes.
(b) Then it can't gather any more notes until it decides to "reset".
(c) The caprine can use a resonance ability as soon as its resonance score is high enough.
(d) It can use resonance abilities during a day it is gathering notes. This does not interfere with its resonance score accumulation.
(e) A resonance ability can only be used once per resonance accumulation. They can not be re-used until the caprine has "reset" its resonance score.

freyar

A caprine doesn't really "spend" resonance points to use its resonance powers. The resonance score determines what powers it is able to use, and each can be used once per resonance-accumulation.

Oh, right. This ability is absurdly complex, and it's the original monster's fault.

So it's more:

(a) A caprine can "reset" its resonance score to zero and then has one day to gather notes.
(b) Then it can't gather any more notes until it decides to "reset".
(c) The caprine can use a resonance ability as soon as its resonance score is high enough.
(d) It can use resonance abilities during a day it is gathering notes. This does not interfere with its resonance score accumulation.
(e) A resonance ability can only be used once per resonance accumulation. They can not be re-used until the caprine has "reset" its resonance score.

I get it now! Whew.

To clarify, how about we replace these paragraphs
The caprine gains resonance powers as listed in the Resonance Abilities Table (see below). Each resonance ability can be used once. The caprine can use a resonance ability as soon as its resonance score is high enough to qualify for it. Most resonance abilities do not interfere with a caprine's accumulation of resonance notes, so a caprine can use a resonance ability and then continue increasing its resonance score in order to access higher-ranking abilities. The sole exception is the sound of death ability, which prevents any further use of resonance until the caprine resets its resonance score.

A caprine's resonance score persists until the caprine decides to accumulate a new day's resonance score. This resets the caprine's resonance score to zero, causing it to lose any unused abilities from its previous resonance score.
with

"The caprine can use a given resonance ability (as listed in the Resonance Abilities Table below) as soon as its resonance score is high enough to qualify for it. Most resonance abilities do not interfere with a caprine's accumulation of resonance notes, so a caprine can use a resonance ability and then continue increasing its resonance score in order to access higher-ranking abilities. The sole exception is the sound of death ability, which prevents any further use of resonance until the caprine resets its resonance score.

A resonance ability may only be used one time after it begins accumulating resonance notes. The resonance score persists until the caprine decides to accumulate a new day's resonance score. This resets the caprine's resonance score to zero, causing it to lose any unused abilities from its previous resonance score but allowing each resonance ability to be used once more."

We might have to revise this again; I'm not clear if sound of death prevents more accumulation, use of resonance abilities, or both.

Remove ads