Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It would be a shame to waste everything Cleon's just done on the gurrash and gator folk. Might as well keep it. ;)

Are there Small lizardfolk, either? I do find something very amusing about making them Tiny, but I'm not sure if Small might make more sense --- it depends on whether you trust the picture or description better.

Cleon

Legend
It would be a shame to waste everything Cleon's just done on the gurrash and gator folk. Might as well keep it. ;)

Well I'm used to you wasting my genius. Sometimes I wonder why you don't copy-and-paste everything I type into the Creature Catalogue.

Did I mention I was modest, too. :p

Are there Small lizardfolk, either? I do find something very amusing about making them Tiny, but I'm not sure if Small might make more sense --- it depends on whether you trust the picture or description better.

Isn't there some kind of poisonous/venomous pygmy lizardfolk in one of the Monster Manuals?

...ah, yes there is. I was thinking of the Poison Dusk Lizardfolk from Monster Manual III.

And yes, Tiny would be amusing, even if it doesn't fit the picture.

Maybe we should have them advance to Small to cover both options?

e.g.:

Tiny Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 1d8
Advancement: 2 HD (Small) and by character class

Mortis

First Post
I think we'd better wait for the other suspects to weigh in on the Cayman size issue before we go on.
Well as I said in post 182 I wouldn't mind a racial paragon class fto allow for an increase to small size. That said if we're keeping it simple Cleon's proposal of 'Advancement: 2 HD (Small) and by character class' is fine.

Regards
Mortis

Mortis

First Post
Yes, I already mentioned the Gurrash is also called a Gator Man and there is a lot of overlap between the two, but the Mystaran Compendium / BECMI version of the Gator Man still has 4 more HD and a 2 point higher AC, plus a couple of other minor differences.
I see that now, I must have snuck in and posted while you were editing your post. :D

I've also seen the stuff you've posted to differentiate the two. I'm thinking that perhaps with the gator man being a more bestial version of the gurrash then it could start off at large size.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
I see that now, I must have snuck in and posted while you were editing your post. :D

I've also seen the stuff you've posted to differentiate the two. I'm thinking that perhaps with the gator man being a more bestial version of the gurrash then it could start off at large size.

Regards
Mortis

Great minds think alike!

The other guys said they preferred a Gurrash 'Gator Man' that started out a 3 HD Medium and advanced to Large over my first proposal of doing the 7 HD "Gator Folk" as a separate monster.

Needless to say, I'm statting a "Gator Man" Cleon Special homebrew based on the 7 HD BECMI version as we type...

Incidentally, the AC9 Creature Catalog version of the Gator Man has Intelligence 7. Can we change the Gurrash to Int 7 to honour the older source? That'll also give it 3 odd and 3 even ability scores.

It won't make any difference to the rest of the Gurrash Lizardfolk's stats, since the Int bonus is the same.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, I think we just acquiesced when you wrote up the advancement for the gurrash to gator folk. ;) But I don't see much trouble doing it either way.

Going to Int 7 is fine.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, I think we just acquiesced when you wrote up the advancement for the gurrash to gator folk. ;) But I don't see much trouble doing it either way.

Going to Int 7 is fine.

So we're going for post #190 plus Int 7 and calling it done for the Gurrash?

Fine by me!

Back to the Cayman, any further arguments on the size issue?

I'm not that committed either way, since the original sources are contradictory. Either Tiny or Small would be alright. The original text says Small (and it's 2E, so the rules include a Tiny size), which is supported by the illustration, but it explicitly says they're a foot tall, which is Tiny territory.

So, it could be either. Maybe we should just have a vote, or toss a bunch of d2s?

Remove ads