Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
I vote "yes" on Reptilian subtype. Since they're humanoids, "Tortle" should be a subtype as well, methinks.

While in principle I agree with you on the Tortle subtype, the Dragon mag 3E version of the Tortle doesn't have a "Tortle" subtype, which suggests we should omit it.

I'd like to leave it Reptilian, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
While in principle I agree with you on the Tortle subtype, the Dragon mag 3E version of the Tortle doesn't have a "Tortle" subtype, which suggests we should omit it.

I'd like to leave it Reptilian, though.

Since we've essentially scrapped that version, though, I see no reason not to add the subtype.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not the LA expert, but that seems ok.

"Usually LE" makes sense for the alignment given the standard tortle is LN-ish. The text of the original monster could be NE, but I don't think it matters much.

Tactics: Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to fire their crossbows at the least provocation. In close quarters, they attack viciously with claws and bite, and they aren't above attacking opponents who've become tangled in their nets.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not the LA expert, but that seems ok.

"Usually LE" makes sense for the alignment given the standard tortle is LN-ish. The text of the original monster could be NE, but I don't think it matters much.

Tactics: Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to fire their crossbows at the least provocation. In close quarters, they attack viciously with claws and bite, and they aren't above attacking opponents who've become tangled in their nets.

Rather than "they aren't above attacking opponents who've become tangled in their nets" I'd favour "They often throw nets at fast-moving opponents to try to remove their speed advantage."

Remove ads