Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, the original discerp might be once per full moon, but it last a long time and discerps more than one HD at a time. We should either rewrite the ability a bit to match the original (say, 1/month but discerps 1 level per HD of the goatling) or else do something like making it a few times per week (so you get some reasonable total number of discerped HD per month).

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, the original discerp might be once per full moon, but it last a long time and discerps more than one HD at a time. We should either rewrite the ability a bit to match the original (say, 1/month but discerps 1 level per HD of the goatling) or else do something like making it a few times per week (so you get some reasonable total number of discerped HD per month).

Well the original discerped at 1 HD every 10 rounds with no maximum limit.

We could do something like that, i.e. 1 "temporary negative level" per minute. Maybe with a save every level?

freyar

It doesn't have a maximum discerped HD limit, but it does have a duration of 1 turn per level of the goatling, which is effectively a limit to the amount of discerping.

Cleon

Legend
It doesn't have a maximum discerped HD limit, but it does have a duration of 1 turn per level of the goatling, which is effectively a limit to the amount of discerping.

Oh right, in that case we should base it on 1 level per CL. I think we'd better allow it to increase that limit using some empowerment point mechanism, probably +2 level limit per +1 DC it gets from empowerment?

freyar

If it's Su, I don't think it should depend on CL. And I'm not quite understanding how you want to implement that limit...

Cleon

Legend
If it's Su, I don't think it should depend on CL. And I'm not quite understanding how you want to implement that limit...

Oh we'll just base it on HD then.

To clarify, I was thinking something like.

Basic Discerp: Save DC based on 10+½HD+ability, applies 1 "discerp level" per minute, max discerp = goatling's HD.
Empowerment (by caster): Increases goatling's effective HD for discerp by +1 HD per point (DC increases by +1 for every +2 HD)
Empowerment (by "assistants"): All assistants expend X power points each, which increases the caster's effective HD for discerp by +X plus +1 per Y assistants. Maximum value of X and Y equals the lowest HD among the assistants.

freyar

Do you still want it 1/month?

I can agree to your proposals. Here's a start

Discerp (Su): Once per month, a goatling can drain energy from an undead creature or a creature with the Extraplanar subtype. The victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way. The victim must make a DC X Will save each minute or gain a negative level (positive level in the case of undead), and the goatling gains 10 empowerment points. A goatling can discerp a maximum number of levels equal to its HD. If the victim has as many negative levels as HD, it falls unconscious rather than dying. Negative levels are recovered at the rate of 1/day and never become permanent. The save DC is Intelligence(?)-based.

Empowering bit....

Cleon

Legend
Do you still want it 1/month?

I can agree to your proposals. Here's a start

Discerp (Su): Once per month, a goatling can drain energy from an undead creature or a creature with the Extraplanar subtype. The victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way. The victim must make a DC X Will save each minute or gain a negative level (positive level in the case of undead), and the goatling gains 10 empowerment points. A goatling can discerp a maximum number of levels equal to its HD. If the victim has as many negative levels as HD, it falls unconscious rather than dying. Negative levels are recovered at the rate of 1/day and never become permanent. The save DC is Intelligence(?)-based.

Empowering bit....

Not sure about making it a save each level/minute. The original spells makes no mention of it even allowing a saving throw.

freyar

Something like this? I'm ok with tossing the Will save, but I added the bit in red, since it seems like the goatling might not have attention free to do other things. What do you think?

Discerp (Su): Once per month, a goatling can drain energy from an undead creature or a creature with the Extraplanar subtype. The victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way. The gain a negative level (positive level in the case of undead) each minute that the goatling maintains concentration, and the goatling gains 10 empowerment points. A goatling can discerp a maximum number of levels equal to its HD. If the victim has as many negative levels as HD, it falls unconscious rather than dying. Negative levels are recovered at the rate of 1/day and never become permanent. The save DC is Intelligence(?)-based.

Empowering bit....

Cleon

Legend
Something like this? I'm ok with tossing the Will save, but I added the bit in red, since it seems like the goatling might not have attention free to do other things. What do you think?

Discerp (Su): Once per month, a goatling can drain energy from an undead creature or a creature with the Extraplanar subtype. The victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way. The gain a negative level (positive level in the case of undead) each minute that the goatling maintains concentration, and the goatling gains 10 empowerment points. A goatling can discerp a maximum number of levels equal to its HD. If the victim has as many negative levels as HD, it falls unconscious rather than dying. Negative levels are recovered at the rate of 1/day and never become permanent. The save DC is Intelligence(?)-based.

Empowering bit....

That's better, although I'd phrase the third sentence "Each minute that the goatling concentrates on discerping, the victim gains a negative level (positive level in the case of undead) and the goatling gains 10 empowerment points."

Remove ads