The break-down in believability at higher levels of play

DNH

First Post
A recent conversation with my brother turned into a full-blown philosophical debate on the nature of RPGs and I found the whole thing extremely interesting and would rather like to open it up to another forum. So here goes ...

In essence, the discussion arose from my brother voicing his concern over the higher levels of play in fantasy RPGs (we play both 4e and Pathfinder) and his feeling that playing at those levels becomes increasingly unbelievable and untenable. His point is that characters are called upon to deal with threats and menaces that are so powerful that it is hard to understand why they have not already overrun the local area, the nation, the world. You can see his point. A party of 18th-level characters (not even particularly high-level, see; not these days) might be called upon to deal with an incursion of demons or what-have-you. Those demons are demonstrably powerful (excuse the pun) and it does bring us to ask why they have not already overthrown the local regime and taken control of everything under the sun.

Or what about the player characters themselves? At high levels, these become extraordinarily powerful. Fantastically so. What is to stop *them* from taking over the world?

There is also the issue of why threats are balanced against the characters. Surely, in a more realistic world, the more capable (higher-level) heroes will be called upon to deal with any given threat. Assume for a moment that the campaign world is populated by dozens of adventurer types, if not hundreds (and the mere fact that the local tavern always seems to have two or three standing by whenever a party member gets himself or herself killed seems to suggest this is the case!). They cannot all be the same level, surely? So why not subscribe to 'shock and awe' tactics and send in your most powerful heroes to deal with threats at little to no risk? Why the brinkmanship of having these greenhorns do it, where there is clearly a risk that they may fail?

My own answers to all these questions and concerns can be summed up in just two words: "narrative" and "solipsism". The demons in question have not already overthrown the local regime because the heroes are entering the story at just the right time and should be able to prevent them from doing so; it is all part of the narrative. High-level characters do not (normally) carry out coups d'etat for a number of reasons, be it alignment, political/social involvement or mere disinclination. I have no doubt that they *could* but most never would. And who is to say that there *are* any adventurer-types of a higher level than the current party that could deal more easily with the current threat?

This last point, the solipsistic view of the campaign world, took hold in my mind and appeared, to me at least, to explain away all these concerns and issues. There is no threat other than the current one. Only the current narrative counts. There are no heroes other than the ones in the party (okay and some other story-relevant NPCs).

I should say, in defence of my brother, that he is not wholly disillusioned by RPGs and about to kick the hobby. He still very much enjoys playing and will do so for many years to come no doubt, not least because he has now recruited his children into it! His problem is really that his willing suspension of disbelief is more difficult to maintain at the higher levels of play. And even that is not to say that he *won't* play there, but he is reluctant to do so and will avoid it if possible.

This could all reduce down to a debate on GNS theory, of course.

Any thoughts?

Coldwyn

First Post
The failure is actually in setting/world building.
If you solely focus on the power levels at hand and have the power and abilities of encounter solely scale with levels, you´re creating that problem.

This can be countered by integrating high-level stuff and threads early on in the game, foreshadowing events that could happen.

Three examples could be:
- While a very low-level party does overland travel, they witness a great old red dragon devastate an village a bit further along the road. All they can do is help the survivors.
- While in a major town, a full blown demon incursion starts and they see other high-level characters spring into action, battling a balor while they handle some lemures.
- Rumors and Gossip. Just tell small stories of things that happen in another place or another time.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The owner of the local mine hires the heroic tier PCs to clear it of a nasty kobold infestation. He doesn't hire paragon or epic tier heroes to do the job because:

1. They are off fighting ancient evils on another plane. There are, in fact, multiple threats large and small to the world.

2. He can't afford the rates that they would charge.

3. Transportation and communication systems are primitive; he can't advertise widely or expect to round up more than a handful of capable bodies from the surrounding area.

As for the, "just in the nick of time," story element: not every campaign I've played in has followed this trope. I've played in post-apocalyptic settings as well as in adventurers where the party is racing against the clock to minimize the damage rampaging demons/dragon/whatever are inflicting on the populous and land. Sometimes we defeated the BBEG but only after he managed to kill the king or blight the crops.

Finally, this idea that threats scale to the players is just part of a play-style. In sandbox games, players can certainly stumble into areas with threats too big for them to handle or find themselves easily trouncing the goblin "menace" plaguing the border town they are crossing through. Some people like that sort of thing and some don't.

SiderisAnon

First Post
So why not subscribe to 'shock and awe' tactics and send in your most powerful heroes to deal with threats at little to no risk? Why the brinkmanship of having these greenhorns do it, where there is clearly a risk that they may fail?

You don't send the most powerful heroes out to deal with the little threats for the same reason you don't send SWAT to deal with every 911 call, special forces to deal with every military situation, or the king out to every village when there is a concern. This is a combination of there being only so much of the top people to go around and needing to keep those people available for a real crisis.

There's also the fact that these small actions are not worth the time of the powerful heroes. They have their own lives to lead, their own projects, and possibly their own kingdoms.

Not to mention the fact that if you don't let the new guys handle some of the small stuff, there will never be any powerful heroes around to replace you when you want to retire.

Reynard

Legend
I think part of the plausibility problem is solved when advancement is slower and the power curve is shallower. When this is the case, the PCs don't go from fighting goblins to fighting godlings in the space of a campaign year. Plus, the shallow power curve allows one to put varying power level threats in the same game space without destroying either versimilitude or game balance.

Ultimately, I think this sort of philosophical argument arises out of trying to use new games - 4E and Pathfinder - to play in a style based on earlier games like AD&D.

thejc

First Post
that is in itself not so much a problem but an element of the narrative. No one wants to clear their schedule get together on a Saturday evening and hear about what other npc's do in the world. Even the best ran campaigns only mention hero's/villains of renown in passing. Why because in essence it is about you. It is about what your character is doing.

Some campaigns I have played in were dependant(so to speak) upon npcs completing their heroic acts and what not, but like I said before you don't spend hours of listening to npc actions.

Plus it's the old Dragon Ball Z device. Would these new and powerful threats that can shoot energy blasts that sunder planets if it wasn't for Goku being soooo powerful. It's a vicious cycle but it's the way the world turns.

Dausuul

Legend
Superman deals with bank robbers and rescues cats so i disagree with you there

I don't think he normally gets called in to rescue cats, however. Nor does he go looking for cats to rescue. He does it because he's a nice guy and he happened to be flying past when the cat got stuck, just as a high-level party might take five minutes out of its day to wipe out a handful of goblin marauders in the town they happen to be staying in en route to the Desert of Doom.

If you ask me, Superman's traditional priorities as a do-gooder are a little messed up anyway. He spends most of his time fighting petty crime in one American city, while war, famine, and disease ravage whole countries. But that's just me.

Reynard

Legend
Dausuul said:
I don't think he normally gets called in to rescue cats, however. Nor does he go looking for cats to rescue. He does it because he's a nice guy and he happened to be flying past when the cat got stuck, just as a high-level party might take five minutes out of its day to wipe out a handful of goblin marauders in the town they happen to be staying in en route to the Desert of Doom.

That's what random encounter charts are for.

If you ask me, Superman's traditional priorities as a do-gooder are a little messed up anyway. He spends most of his time fighting petty crime in one American city, while war, famine, and disease ravage whole countries. But that's just me.

Superman is apolitical. He battles world conquerors and cosmic monsters. It is analogous to high level D&D characters stopping the Dark Lord from plunging all the lands into darkness, but ignoring how the local baron mistreats his serfs. In the same way that it is occasionally interesting to read a super hero story in which the heroes decide to change the world, it may be fun to play a campaign where high level heroes exert their power over the setting, but those are exceptions, commentaries on the genres rather than standards for them.

Remove ads