Premade characters?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This may be a stupid question, but how did you get the +3 in 1d10+3 for the waraxe?

I'm guessing this is the damage bonus for using it in two hands. His character has a 15 Strength, which has a +2 bonus. A dwarven waraxe is a one-handed weapon, which means he can use it in two hands, making the Strength bonus multiplied by 1.5, turning the +2 into a +3.

No idea about the armor spikes bonus, however. Those should only be +2 to damage from his Strength bonus.

EDIT: No, wait, that can't be right. He's got a shield, so he can't be using the dwarven waraxe two-handed. Presumably it's just an error, then.

MrSumOne

First Post
I'm guessing this is the damage bonus for using it in two hands. His character has a 15 Strength, which has a +2 bonus. A dwarven waraxe is a one-handed weapon, which means he can use it in two hands, making the Strength bonus multiplied by 1.5, turning the +2 into a +3.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the atk bonus is on atk rolls, not damage rolls.

It's a transcription error. Sorry! It's what happens when you retype things instead of copy-paste.

And, if she did use it in two hands, it'd be +3 (but she'd lose the shield bonus to AC).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the atk bonus is on atk rolls, not damage rolls.

Your base attack bonus applies to attack and not damage rolls. Your Strength bonus applies to melee attack rolls and melee damage rolls (and thrown weapon damage rolls).

MrSumOne

First Post
What things other than atk bonus effect the damage? I see a lot of stat blocks that are 1d12+4 for example, but I can only account for +3 with atk bonus.

What things other than atk bonus effect the damage? I see a lot of stat blocks that are 1d12+4 for example, but I can only account for +3 with atk bonus.

Your attack bonus generally doesn't affect your damage bonus. However, your Strength bonus applies to both your melee attack and melee damage rolls.

And, if youre wielding most weapons in two hands, you get x1.5 your Str bonus to damage. So, 16 or 17 Str (+3) results in +3 to hit, +4 to damage with a two-handed weapon.

Shisumo

First Post
You normally calculate your melee attack bonus as follows:
Base Attack Bonus (from class) + Strength modifier + other modifiers (from feats, spells, weapon enhancements, and so on)
Your damage is then:
Weapon's damage die + Strength modifier + other modifiers

If using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon in two hands, you multiply your Strength modifier by 1.5 (rounded down) for the purposes of damage.

If there are particular characters on those pregens you're curious about math-wise, feel free to ask (here or email me directly - my email's in the PDF); we'll get it sorted out.

Remove ads