The Tome of Horrors is the Tome of Happiness!

bwgwl

First Post
i'm pleased and darn impressed with it overall, but i have noticed a few things that i'll have to tweak.

there's a couple of critters i think should be classified as a different type (can't think of any off the top of my head; most were beasts that i'd make humanoids or monstrous humanoids, or something like that).

also, there's quite a few beasts in the book with an Int score above 2. (the MM errata states beasts can only have a 1 or 2 Int, like animals.) so these i'd either drop to 2 Int or change their type (to either magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or possibly aberration, whichever is most appropriate).

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
green slime said:

I did find some minor errors in the ToH in the little while I was perusing my copy: Prices for constructing at least one construct was missing..

Do you mean the Blood Golem? Look again, despite the name (and they mention this in the flavor text) it's actually an aberration.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
The only problem I've come accross is some beasts that should be animals and the fire nymph, which should probably be a fey and not an outsider (though I'm not sure about that, yet).

Voadam

Legend
Crothian said:

That's cool. So, any thoughts on how it would fit into a non fantasy genre game?

I don't have it but doesn't it have a large section on real world poisonous snakes, or are they just fantasy poisonous snakes.

By non fantasy do you mean no magic or non D&D standard (shadowforce archer, fading suns, Cthulhu, WoT, dragonstar, sovereign stone, supers, darwin world, etc.)?

Crothian: It is a monster book after all. Any game that uses it, by default, is a fantasy. :)

I like the book, but it's not the be-all end-all of monster books (for that, I'd probably nominate Monsternomicon.) Some of the art is hit or miss and a lot of the creatures could have sunk into obscurity without me missing the fact that they were converted. I guess unlike rounser, I actually don't like that D&D is such a genre unto itself, seperate and unique from other fantasy stories, which don't play out well in D&D. Some of the creatures that just cry "D&D" I could do without. I never really wanted to use them anyway.

Kamard

First Post
I got this today, just finished thumbing through it, and I wanted to say I am extremely pleased with the entire book. Just reading it gave me ideas and made me think of places to put the various creatures. Not to mention a lot of the critters I liked from "back in the day" are back for my 3e game without me having to convert them myself.

My only real problem was a lot of clearly humanoid creatures were made beasts or other types. I realize this is probably to better fit feats and skills, but they're still humanoid in shape... *shrugs*

Remove ads