economy of dnd

Luigiana

First Post
i dont understand the economy of dungeons and dragons. does any1 know where i can read about the economy? i want to know how much a commoner and so forth earns a week.

kitcik

Adventurer
The truth is that the economy in D&D, if you put real thought into it, simply doesn't work. This means the DM has to house-rule any time something will have true economic impact that could cause the PCs to be out of whack on a wealth-to-level ratio basis. Not to say that the DM has to follow the wealth by level guidelines in the DMG, but whatever they are setting the CR in relation to, they have to monitor anything that impacts the economy that would throw that off.

Jimlock

Adventurer
The truth is that the economy in D&D, if you put real thought into it, simply doesn't work. This means the DM has to house-rule any time something will have true economic impact that could cause the PCs to be out of whack on a wealth-to-level ratio basis. Not to say that the DM has to follow the wealth by level guidelines in the DMG, but whatever they are setting the CR in relation to, they have to monitor anything that impacts the economy that would throw that off.

Can't XP...

well said sir.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The definitive work on the subject is A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, which extrapolates based on the 3E DMG1 and combines it with history to create an economy that does, in fact, work and spells out a lot of interesting results, all very gamable for the DM.

Want your 10th level fighter to have his own estate? That's in here. Want to know who does what in your fantasy city? That's in there. Want to know what your commoner does all year (although why you want to know that, I'm not really sure)? That's in there.

Insanely useful, whatever flavor of D&D you use.

domino

First Post
Like Kitcik said, the economy in general kinda sucks as a real economy. Adventurers would cause constant and horrific inflation at any small-medium towns they visit, being able to actually purchase magic items requires a substantial adventuring class that requires them, and so on.

If you just want to know what the average wage is for a commoner, it depends on how skilled they are, since it depends on their job skill check. Assuming a commoner 1 with a 5-6 bonus in the relevant skill (craft, perform, profession) they'd make 7-8 gp a week on average. if they have no applicable skill, it's one silver per day of work.

Jacob

Explorer
In the Upkeep variant rules of the DMG, it says that one of the Upkeep levels is about the daily wage of a commoner. Also, this has some basics. Dungeonomicon (3.5e Sourcebook)/Economicon - Dungeons and Dragons Wiki
I think this (and other writings within) is something to be considered in the process of creating your own shop and selling goods, as I am trying to do in another game. I don't think it requires being as hardcore, but it's something to consider alright. Hmmm...

Greenfield

Adventurer
I've always felt that there were parts of the game world that you just have to treat like "that man behind the curtain". The economy is a big part of that.

There's a huge divide between PC wealth levels and NPC wealth levels, so huge they might just as well be living in different worlds.

A 10th level PC won't hesitate for a moment to spend 50 gold on a healing potion, other than to worry that it's too small. To the average NPC in the world, though, that's something like a year's wages.

There have been various attempts to "fix" this over the years, and they've corrected some of the obvious problems (like trading in iron pots as scrap). 4th Ed "fixed" the problem of PC types using magic or craft skills to get immensely rich, mostly by making it impossible for any crafts person to make any money at all, ever. (Items cost as much to make, in raw materials, as their market price, so every craft attempt is a money loser, a break-even at best).

In all editions, quick transport magic and items (Teleport or flying carpets, for example), coupled with Shrink Item and things like Bags of Holding and Portable Holes make most merchant shipping obsolete, and Fabricate puts mundane craftsmen out of business.

So, how does the game world economy work? Like so much else, the words "It's magic" leap readily to the lips.

S'mon

Legend
1sp/day is enough to keep 1 adult alive, it's subsistence wages. So a poor commoner makes 7 sp/week, possibly all in food etc without ever seeing a coin; 3 gp/month, 36 gp/year. If he expects to support a family though he's making more like 5 sp/day, perhaps from a farm.

Edit: Typical infantryman earns double this, some 6gp/month, so is well fed, can repair kit, buy beer at the tavern etc.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Entirely aside from the overarching social considerations of economics, the Profession rules have something to say about commoner income. Joe Farmer, a 1st-level commoner who has an average Wis and max ranks in Profession (Farmer), can take 10 to make 7 gp per week. If he has a family of, say, four (him, Jane Farmer, Joe Farmer Jr., and Little Jane Farmer) and Jane Farmer works as well while the kids Aid Another, that gives them 16 gp per week, or 160 sp. Poor meals are 1 sp/day, which means that after eating a total of 12 meals per day over the week for the whole family, even assuming they buy everything from someone else instead of making food themselves, they have [160 - 12*7 = 76] 7.6 gp to put away for a rainy day in case some farming equipment breaks down or they need to splurge for a dress for Jane Farmer or whatever. That's if all of them have +0 Wis and are 1st level; a family of level 2-3 parents with at least 12-14 Wis can be making more for their family.

For a more thorough examination of the economics of D&D commoners, read this.

Remove ads