economy of dnd

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Every PC class. You seem to have a lot of trouble distinguishing between PC-stuff and NPC-stuff.

There is no difference between PC-stuff and NPC-stuff except for the existence of NPC classes, and nothing prevents a PC from taking NPC stuff or vice versa. PCs aren't Super Special Snowflakes that are completely unique in the world. Yes, the DM can (and apparently, in your case, usually does) hand-wave NPC stuff, but they gain the same levels, use the same rules, and have the same abilities as PCs do. It may be too much trouble to get nitpicky with the numbers in many cases, but the rules are there.

Oh, it's for "plot hook purpose" and not based on Medieval times, got it.

My point was that you have the paladin class, CoDzillas, and other characters resembling templars/inquisitors serving churches that really don't fit--Ehlonna doesn't really strike me as the type to command her followers to go out and stamp out evil, yet you can have a "Purge the undead!" paladin worshiper of Ehlonna, and most PC clerics of Ehlonna are going to be doing the same thing--but the rest of the trappings of the Templars aren't really there.

No, you must be joking. Does "crusades" ring a bell?

The Church of St. Cuthbert could easily order a crusade against evil, and that church somewhat resembles the Catholic Church...as could Kord's church, which doesn't resemble the Catholic Church at all. For that matter, you could have a bunch of LG wizards and rogue launch a crusade into the Abyss. Crusades don't make you like the Catholic Church, the sociopolitical structure and temporal power surrounding you do.

Priest and wizards are the most powerful figures in all settings. Both "Medieval-Dark Ages/fantasy" archetypes, no question about it. Behind almost every single official campaign there is some wizard or priest with great power, political or otherwise, capable of leading vast armies into war, at the demand of a greater deity.
One example: Verminaard, Dragonlance's big villain is a high priest of Takhisis. You will find such examples in every setting, and in every setting's background.

No more power by virtue of being a priest, I said. Yes, there are several churches who do have plenty of temporal power, and thus their priests have some as well--but powerful wizards, druids, rogues, fighters, etc. can have the same power. A medieval layperson could never have the kind of power a priest or bishop did, who had the full power of the government and the Church behind him and whom the local people trusted implicitly in spiritual matters, but it's perfectly possible for a Pelorite to live under a Kordite with plenty of political power and for the Pelorite to view him as no authority on the divine while acknowledging his political power.

That's what the real crusaders were given to believe as well, they were out to destroy others because they were led to believe that their god was the right one. That's how you can play D&D as well. People fighting the wars are pawns, just like in real life. I don't play D&D so Black & White, nor is there written anywhere in the books that I should play like that. You are free to play D&D as you please. You can play LOTRs or you can play Game of Thrones. It's up to every individual group. Nothing is necessarily better than the other. If you wan't to play D&D like that, you are free to do so by all means, but please do not say that "your" way, is the "right" D&D way.

I don't see how I'm claiming to play the "right" way at all. The real-world Crusades were part religious mission, part military campaign, part political strategy, and part land-grab on the part of knights. Islam was no more evil than Catholicism was, and no more wrong or right, so anything painting the other as "the bad guys" was necessarily propaganda. In D&D, if you call a "crusade" on evil, you can 'port right into the Abyss, the demons pin on your evil-dar, and you can hack away with the assurance that the creatures you're killing are, in fact, evil. There are many things in D&D that are very vague and gray, morally speaking, but "LG paladin goes and smites demons" isn't really one of them.

Are you also suggesting that only the Paladin derives from the Middle Ages?

Do note that I said the medieval Catholic Church specifically. Druids and rogues were not exactly part of the Church.

Let's take one class at a time and see whether they derive from the Middle Ages, the Romans or the the Renaissance.. shall we?

Let's.

1-Barbarian. I believe the word "CONAN" is a sufficient.

Considering that (A) Cimmeria was more Bronze Age than Medieval and (B) Conan is best represented in D&D by a fighter/rogue, I would disagree. If you had used Vikings, that would have worked better, but they were pre-medieval.

2-Bard. Wikipedia: In medieval Gaelic and British culture (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Brittany and Cornwall) a bard was a professional poet, employed by a patron, such as a monarch or nobleman, to commemorate the patron's ancestors and to praise the patron's own activities.

Shakespeare was also called a bard; does that make the bard English?

You're right that the 1e bard was very much based off Celtic culture; they were fighter/thief/druids, had more of a focus on poetry and arts, belonged to colleges with Gaelic names and so forth. However, by 2e and later into 3e, that flavor fell away to some degree--as per to Wikipedia, "According to the second edition Player's Handbook, the bard class is a more generalized character than the more precise historical term, which applied only to certain groups of Celtic poets who sang the history of their tribes in long, recitative poems.[3] The book cites historical and legendary examples of bards such as Alan-a-Dale, Will Scarlet, Amergin, and even Homer, noting that every culture has its storyteller or poet, whether such as person is called bard, skald, fili, jongleur, or another name.[3]"

The current and 2e bards aren't really Celtic at all, but rather a jack-of-all-trades class with a much greater focus on deception and magic tricks than storytelling and poetry. That sort of bard is much closer to the illusionist of 1e than any real storyteller.

3-Cleric. What do you need to be convinced that the D&D cleric is mainly based on the Medieval Catholic Clerics and Priests? With their armors and maces i don't see much of a difference from the "templar-esque paladin"...

Again, the 1e cleric was very much based on the Catholic priest--one picture even had him in the Roman collar! And of course most low-level cleric spells are based on the myths of Jesus's miracles. However, again the cleric has changed over the years; the 2e cleric was but a subset of priest rather than a super-class on its own, meaning that the cleric was bumped down from a full class to just a subclass equal to the druid. The 3e cleric can wield bladed weapons, cast what would be considered very non-cleric-y spells in prior editions, and otherwise break the mold of the Catholic templar.

6-Monk... I don't really care about that one... Still, it must be said that there is nothing Roma-esque or Renaissance-esque about it...

I never claimed that D&D was based on the Renaissance, and I never mentioned the Romans at all. I said the technology level and society were closer to the Renaissance than medieval times, so saying "Look! It's not Renaissance!" doesn't prove anything.

8-RAnger. This one screams "Aragorn"... Perhaps you are willing to argue that Middle Earth is not a Medieval based setting?

It's definitely much closer than D&D is. ;)

9-Rogue. The Rogue can be seen as pretty generic too... Still as far as D&D is concerned, just check the art, and tell me if that isn't Medieval.
Robin Hood is written all over the place...(ok Robin is both a Ranger and a Rogue...;))

Robin Hood, the dashing scoundrel who's deadly with a bow, is represented by the dirty fighter who sucks with a bow after 30 feet? No, my friend, the rogue started out as a thief, and is essentially based on Bilbo the Burglar and the Gray Mouser.

10-Sorcerers & Wizards. I won't tire you. Gandalf and Merlin should be enough.

Gandalf and Merlin resemble wizards in name only; they have the Knowledge skills and the cantrips, but both could be better represented by bards--and let me remind you that one was a constrained archon and the other was a tiefling. ;)

Again, i think it's you that must be joking.
Just check what Gygax and Greenwood have said about their worlds. (It's funny how Elminster looks just like Gandalf isn't it?)

Someone already posted Gygax's quote about how D&D would require some work to run in a medieval world. And Elminster looking like Gandalf doesn't mean that they or their worlds are similar in any way; you could just as easily compare him to Santa Claus, with the white beard, the funny way of speaking, the ability to teleport and read kids' minds, and the extradimensional storage.

I do not understand how you relate Magic to Renaissance and not the Medieval Ages. If in your games magic is a substitute for technology, that is your game, and not D&D. Magic, superstition and mysticism is more of a trait of the middle ages ...not the Renaissance. Renaissance signals the birth of rationalism. Superstitions die and man now believes he can do "everything on his own". Since the Renaissance, god has already begun to lose ground.
"Burn the which!" was a phrase mainly used in the Medieval Ages... not the Renaissance.

1) D&D magic isn't real-world magic. Magic in D&D is a repeatable, testable, natural phenomenon--in a word, science. No one goes around burning witches in D&D because (A) frankly, pissing off a D&D wizard powerful enough to become noticed as an "evil witch" is suicide and (B) their magic is as beneficial as it can be harmful.

2) I don't use magic-as-technology, but have you looked at what low-level spellcasters can do for a town? Many cantrips and orisons resemble technological advances in that they solve medieval problems the way technology did. Disease kills your population thanks to poor living conditions? Prestidigitation + cure disease. Famine kills your crops? Plant growth + create water. And so forth--and remember, every little town has 3+ caster in it, which is enough to minister to the whole town.

As noted in the second paragraph of the article, the sort of plate armor pictured in D&D is the Renaissance-era helmed Gothic armor rather than the earlier styles.

Polearms? Obviously they were mainly used in the Late Middle Ages and Renaissance, still i should remind you that the MAJORITY of weapons in D&D derive from the Middle Ages

1) I'll give you this one; I was thinking specifically of the halberd and guisarme, which didn't come into popular use until the very tail end of the Middle Ages.

2) Rapier? Scimitar? Yes, the majority come from the medieval period, but there are plenty of weapons that were developed later or even outside of Europe. And, surprise surprise, the Renaissance period saw the use of these new weapons as well as the older ones.

Flying cities?

Right... I forgot how they appeared during the Renaissance for the first time...

Magocracies and meddling gods

Yep... forgot how they appeared during the Renaissance too...

(On a side Note: The catholic church & the Inquissition, was a magocracy if you think about it? ;))

*sigh*

Once again, I haven't been saying D&D resembles the real world, I've been saying that, if it resembles anything in the real world, it's closer to Renaissance-level technology and social norms. Flying cities are very much a non-medieval construct.

And the Catholic Church wasn't a mageocracy (or, more properly, a theocracy), seeing as their priests couldn't do anything useful for their populace the way D&D priests can.

Eldritch_Lord, I suggest you think twice before using phrases like:

with people you don't know, or have not talked to in the past.

A little about me: I have read enough about European History during my studies, to know what I'm talking about.

D&D is MAINLY Based on Middle Ages.

I'll finish by quoting once more a line from my previous post:

As I noted above in the section on class origins, 1e was definitely more grounded in medieval Europe. D&D has come a long way since then, and hasn't been "Medieval Europe + MAGIC!" since midway through 2e. In fact, one could draw interesting parallels between the 2e/3e transition and all of its caster-favoring changes and the Industrial Revolution.

S'mon

Legend
There is no difference between PC-stuff and NPC-stuff except for the existence of NPC classes, and nothing prevents a PC from taking NPC stuff or vice versa. PCs aren't Super Special Snowflakes that are completely unique in the world. Yes, the DM can (and apparently, in your case, usually does) hand-wave NPC stuff, but they gain the same levels, use the same rules, and have the same abilities as PCs do. It may be too much trouble to get nitpicky with the numbers in many cases, but the rules are there.

Please give me the reference in the 3e or 3.5e DMG where it says that the NPC Classes are Literate.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Well you could have written that Wikipedia article section yourself. Anyone could have. I don't see how it has any evidentiary value.

I think i explained myself in my previous post? ...now are you saying that your word has more value ...for some reason?

I suggest you check on Gygax's influences... it's always medieval this ...medieval that.

My suspicion is that when you think 'medieval' you (and the wikipedia entrist) are thinking D&D-medieval, not actual historical pre-Black Death high feudal medieval.

?

No, when I am thinking medieval, I'm thinking everything from the 5th century to 15th.

"actual historical pre-Black Death high feudal medieval" as you say it, is actually the High Middle Ages and before that is the Early Middle Ages. From 1300 to 1500 its called the Late Middle Ages

All of the above is called the Middle Ages.:)

Now, my suspicion is that people who claim that D&D belongs to Renaissance are actually confused... but let me explain.

As I said many times above/before, D&D, although historically based in the Middle Ages Europe, it also incorporates some other stuff from various cultures and from various Historical Periods; be that before or after the Middle Ages. There are Egyptian and Greek mythological beasts that date back to 4000 BC, as there are some weapons and some few technologically advanced gadgets that were actually used/innovated after the 15th century. Since D&D does not copy an exact historical period, I don't think it's logical to define the Historical Period D&D is based on, by the most advanced of weapons/gadgets/items in the game. The striking majority of classes, weapons, armor, clothing and gadgets, etc are based on the Middle Ages and that is undeniable.
When polearms and rapiers made their appearance, some of the heavy/old swords and armor were already extinct... but they were not removed from the game!
Just because there are gnomes who build machines, does not mean D&D resembles the industrial Age!

NONE of the "advanced" gadgets alter the chronology of D&D, as none of the "Ancient" stuff alter the chronology of D&D,

they are just there mixed with all that makes, or not, cense.

What one has to see so as to make up his mind, is that the crushing majority of actual historic stuff/influences in D&D, derive from the Middle Ages.

Even Tolkien, who is the undeniable "non-actual-historic" MAJOR influence on D&D, ...has created a Medieval-ish fantasy world, upon which D&D is MAINLY based on.

And D&D-medieval is actually more like the early 16th, arguably late 15th century. This period is normally called "Renaissance" - because of what happened culturally in northern Italy after the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

Am I to take your word for it? I don't see any arguments here...

it didn't actually feel much different from the bastard-medieval or pseudo-medieval period that followed the Black Death.

There is nothing bastard or pseudo about. The Black Death (1350) does not signal the end of the Middle ages. As you mentioned it yourself, the fall of Constantinople does (1453). Some even argue that the Middle ages come at a close in 1492, with the discovery of America by Columbus.

Whatever the case, after the Black Death and until the mid-late 15th century, this period is still part of the Middle Ages

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
[MENTION=52073]Eldritch_Lord[/MENTION], I don't see ANY ARGUMENT WHATSOEVER in your last post to support how D&D is based more on Renaissance than the Middle Ages...

Jimlock

Adventurer
In fact, I've made quite a few points which you are "evading" one way or the other... and you are only answering "some" of my phrases with what I see as irrelevant and unsupported.

Honestly, I can't see how we can keep up the debate/discussion here...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just a quick note to remind everyone that we want to keep discussing things nicely. Line by line rebuttles sometimes end up in angry retorts, and nobody wants to go there.

Also, while it makes sense to discuss some aspects of historical religions in the light of the overall thrust of the discussion, please everyone avoid talking about contemporary religions or making value judgements as much as possible.

Thanks.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As a note, though I'm not an historian, I do know that most others aren't either. I've seen people at Renaissance Faire dressed as anything from Robin Hood to Xena, with Crusaders and King Arthur and a lot of plate and chain maiile tossed in to fill the gaps.

Robin Hood was definitely "early middle ages", having ostensibly fought the "Evil Prince John", who in real life eventually became the highly unpopular King John I. That places ol' Robin Hood in the late 1100s to early 1200s.

Xena, who is just as real as Robin Hood, seems to date from somewhere pre-Christian. (In the series, at least, she faced Julius Ceasar, who died 44 BCE.)

King Arthur is another mythical figure who, if he existed, was probably a Roman, which places him 4th or 5th century at the latest.

During the English Renaissance (mid 1500s to early 1600s), plate and chain armor were showpieces, seldom used in actual combat, being instead reserved for tournaments. Essentially, sporting events.

As for institutions like serfdom? The Czar of Russia officially freed the serfs in 1860, or 1861 (I forget which). So that aspect of the "medieval" period carried well into and beyond the Renaissance and into the age of the Industrial Revolution.

The Renaissance hit different countries at different times. The Italian Renaissance took off in the early 1400s, while the English Renaissance ran a century and a half late.

So lets ask: Does your game world have the printing press? Is gunpowder making armor obsolete? Are there land owners without titles? Are the average people held in serfdom?

Most game worlds I've seen are set in what's best described as "The Time of Legends", which corresponds socially and technologically with the early, mid, late Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and a number of 1950s Errol Flynn movies.

kitcik

Adventurer
D&D was based on Gygax's version of the Medieval Period + fantasy additions. Whether his version of the Medieval Period is historically accurate is another question. However, undoubtedly, D&D was based on the Medieval Period.

See this and this.

S'mon

Legend
Xena, who is just as real as Robin Hood, seems to date from somewhere pre-Christian. (In the series, at least, she faced Julius Ceasar, who died 44 BCE.)

In an early episode she was at the Siege of Troy - 1500 BC? She also fought the Persian army after they had defeated(!) the Athenians at Marathon (490 BC), and as well as Caesar she fought against the Roman occupation of Britain (1st century AD+), and AIR had dealings with Arthurian knights... I expect there's a lot more too. :lol:

Greenfield

Adventurer
That kind of illustrates my point.

I've had players try to join 1st Ed games carrying M16s. They claimed their characters had "traveled to the future" and gotten the high tech stuff. When I asked them what time period in real world history had dragons, elves, dwarves and magic, they couldn't answer, naturally.

The games are set in the time of legends, a fantasy blend made up of two parts medieval, one part renaissance, two parts Tolkien and one part Disney.

Remove ads