Pathfinder 2E Problems with percieved overpowered encounters in Pathfinder 1e+2e?

nevin

Hero
Typically, class and skill system are separate in D&D and derivatives.
honestly I think adding skills may have been DND's biggest mistake. I think it should have just stuck with class skills that come with the class and made them all ability checks. The game mechanics just dont' do skill monkey's well .

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
honestly I think adding skills may have been DND's biggest mistake. I think it should have just stuck with class skills that come with the class and made them all ability checks. The game mechanics just dont' do skill monkey's well .
I completely disagree. I thought the skill system of 3E/PF1 was fantastic. It was the math that didnt work so great.

nevin

Hero
I completely disagree. I thought the skill system of 3E/PF1 was fantastic. It was the math that didnt work so great.
because the base system isn't designed to work with that kind of math. I've never seen a skill based system that did work that wasn't on some sort of percentile and the skills drove the action including combat. But that's just my opinion for the penny it's worth.

payn

because the base system isn't designed to work with that kind of math. I've never seen a skill based system that did work that wasn't on some sort of percentile and the skills drove the action including combat. But that's just my opinion for the penny it's worth.
Traveller kinda works that way with 2D6.

nevin

Hero
Traveller kinda works that way with 2D6.
fair. But Traveler skills control what you can do in combat and outside of combat. If DND want's skills then swinging a broadsword should be a skill. Just do away with classes and throw a list of skills there and let players take em as they level. the tacked on way they implemented them seemed really cool when they did it but it creates more problems than it solves.

payn

fair. But Traveler skills control what you can do in combat and outside of combat. If DND want's skills then swinging a broadsword should be a skill. Just do away with classes and throw a list of skills there and let players take em as they level. the tacked on way they implemented them seemed really cool when they did it but it creates more problems than it solves.
I dont think you need to keep them separated. However, I do think combat and athletic skills should be different from non-combat and mental skills. For example, Id link combat based skills to stats, and non-combat skills to the skill system.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Math doesn't just "not work out". If the math doesn't work out, you have to figure why it doesn't. Is it not meeting the expressed goals of the skill system because of the specific math you chose to use?

nevin

Hero
I disagree. Skills should be linked to the ability that affects them the most. In combat and out of combat.

it would be an interesting experiment to get rid of classes all together and turn all the things the classes could do into skills

nevin

Hero
Math doesn't just "not work out". If the math doesn't work out, you have to figure why it doesn't. Is it not meeting the expressed goals of the skill system because of the specific math you chose to use?
but when math is made for one thing like basic dnd with no skills and then you tack on something else like a skill system math not working out is a common problem. DND's biggest problem shared by pathfinder is too much stuff tacked on because it sounded cool but you couldn't touch the sacred cows. So lot of math not working out as expected.

but they dont' forget what they knew when they do it. If decide to take up boxing why would my martial arts skills go away? It is so far beyond stupid I have no words for it.

Plenty of people get so far out of practice that they just can't do something anymore. Especially with a skill like boxing, where it isn't just knowing things but actual muscle memory that needs to be constantly practiced or you'll lose it.

Remove ads