Blades in the Dark Advice Please?

niklinna

satisfied?
A question about the RAW of BitD. If you fail (a roll of 1-3), does that mean you just fail, or is this a fail AND a consequence? I don't own the rules, and the impression out GM gave me was that if you made a Devil's Bargain you suffer a consequence when you fail, otherwise you don't and just fail. Both Candela Obscura (which doesn't have the devil's bargain at all) and Princess World - Frontier Kingdoms have consequences when you fail. In Candela Obscura I read this as if you're always doing a Devil's Bargain (without the extra die) and thus suffer on a failure, but this impression might be wrong.

Rolling to resist consequences in the low-risk situations I was talking about seems excessive. I get it that its important in more dire circumstances.
Yep, anything below a 6 means some kind of unwantedness happens, how bad it is depends on position. In a Controlled position, you might just have to try again in another way, while at Desperate, you could face serious harm straight up (always with the player's ability to resist of course). In Blades in the Dark it's all laid out starting on page 23.

Edit: Fixed typos.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
One nice thing about these games is that you generally don't need to wonder about this stuff as a player. Go to their respective websites and you can download free PDFs of player-facing information that cover literally all the rules you'll need to be concerned with as a player.

Starfox

Hero
If I want to fiddle with this system to create my own hack, I suppose the version to start from is the original BitD? Patient Zero so to speak, the original and unmutated?

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
A question about the RAW of BitD. If you fail (a roll of 1-3), does that mean you just fail, or is this a fail AND a consequence? I don't own the rules, and the impression out GM gave me was that if you made a Devil's Bargain you suffer a consequence when you fail, otherwise you don't and just fail. Both Candela Obscura (which doesn't have the devil's bargain at all) and Princess World - Frontier Kingdoms have consequences when you fail. In Candela Obscura I read this as if you're always doing a Devil's Bargain (without the extra die) and thus suffer on a failure, but this impression might be wrong.

Rolling to resist consequences in the low-risk situations I was talking about seems excessive. I get it that its important in more dire circumstances.
1-3 is both failure and a consequence. Position is what happens on a failure, Effect is what happens on a success. On 6 you get your effect with no consequences from position, on 5/6 you get both, on 1-3 you only get a consequence.

Most (if not all?) of the player-facing rules are available on bladesinthedark.com for free, you don't need to own the rulebook for that.

MarkB

Legend
If I want to fiddle with this system to create my own hack, I suppose the version to start from is the original BitD? Patient Zero so to speak, the original and unmutated?
Depends on what you're going for. If there's already a product in a similar genre / style to what you're trying to build, it might be quicker to start from there.

You seem to be missing the point of my criticism in order to dismiss it rather than engage with it or just scroll past.
Nope. You framed Stitch as an example of some larger trend in FitD/PbtA games having super bad playbook names, and I pointed out how that generalization doesn't work. You don't have to agree with me, but don't make a lazy, sniping generalization—which also shows just how little experience you seem to have with those games—and then get ever-so-offended by pushback.

I agree with @MarkB that it might be quicker to hack something closer to your ultimate goal, but if you really want to dig into what makes FitD unique and, for some types of games, super effective, it's worth reading Blades in the Dark. The PDF goes on sale or is part of bundles on a regular basis. It's a good game to own, even if just to look at what kicked off a bunch of others.

Also, keep in mind that not every FitD game is necessarily using FitD all that well—some are kinda just jumping on the bandwagon, and don't create pressure-cooker environments that really push the action and deal with some of the stuff you've mentioned in this thread, like not always knowing what to do with consequences. A good FitD game gives you a really strong sense of how consequences maintain pressure on the PCs, pressure that really only lets up (at least a little) once they hit downtime. Getting your brain into a non-trad-game mode where you're not thinking of consequences as failures but dramatic turns, is part of the process of figuring out how to GM FitD, but the game needs to give you meaningful buttons and levers to push and pull.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you have a concept that fits it's structure (phases of play including downtime, crew, concise adventures, etc.), I'd look both at the original that spawned these other ideas, and at least one of the other FitD so you can see what types of things change and what they kept as consideration for your own updates.

To be honest, BitD came from PbtA, and unless you have a concept that is actively enhanced by the BitD uniqueness, I find PbtA to be more hackable.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Last edited:

If you have a concept that fits it's structure (phases of play including downtime, crew, concise adventures, etc.), I'd look both at the original that spawned these other ideas, and at least one of the other FitD so you can see what types of things change and what they kept as consideration for your own updates.

To be honest, BitD came from PbtA, and unless you have a concept that is actively enhanced by the BitD uniqueness, I find PbtA to be more hackable.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

This is great advice. I'd also add that I originally got inspired to hack together an FitD game after reading BitD, Band of Blades, and Scum and Villainy, but then I played BitD and SaV and realized I didn't actually get the system until I had a bunch of first-hand experience with it at the table. There are a lot of moving parts and interactions that aren't necessarily clear on the page.

Also, Candela Obscura diverges from FitD in some really important ways. I wouldn't count that as really playing FitD.

Remove ads