JollyDoc's Serpent's Skull-updated 11/6/2011

JollyDoc

Explorer
Nothing like plunging right into the next of our group's daring exploits. Rest assured, the events of Kingmaker will continue to resonate in our version of Golarion, but let us now travel south, towards the distant shores of Sargava. But first, let me begin by introducing you to the players in our little drama. Just a group of strangers, united only by fate, happenstance and the misfortune to have taken the wrong ship at exactly the wrong time...enjoy!

Last edited:

JollyDoc

Explorer
Arioch

RUNNING SCARED

Lord-Hunter Thixon, Hellknight of the Order of the Gate, strode into the Great Hall of Citadel Enferac. Seated before him was Vicarius Giordano Torchia, General of the Order, and his high council. Various other members of the Order were seated around the room, but none of these were worthy of Thixon’s attention, let alone respect.

The Hellknight bowed before Giordano, declaring, “I came as soon as I received your message. What is thy bidding, my master?”

Giordano steepled his fingers, softly drumming them together. “Based on information obtained from our Infernal contacts, we have learned that the former Hellcaller Deneth has fled to the Shackles Isles. Using powers learned here amongst his brothers of the Order of the Gate, Deneth is using dark powers to wreak havoc there. If the other Hellknight Orders catch wind that one of our own is freely committing such crimes it will reflect badly on Citadel Enferac and the Order of the Gate. At best, this would diminish our reputation and prestige. At worst the other Orders, already suspicious of our Infernal contacts and ties, may institute a pogrom against us. The Apostate must be dealt with, and it must be done quickly. Are you the man for the job?”

Thixon pursed his lips, nodding slowly. “Of course my lord. I will begin the hunt immediately. Do you want me to return him here to the Citadel?”

The Vicarius looked from one side of the council to the other. Clearing his throat, he responded, “The Council and I agree that Deneth should be eliminated where he is found. He is too dangerous, and too likely to find a way to escape once captured. His head should be sufficient proof of death.”

The knight grinned darkly, showing his teeth. “Excellent my lord. Now if you will excuse me…”

Giordano raised his hand, interrupting Thixon. “We have also decided that we would like for you to have companion on your journey. Arioch, present yourself.”

From the throng witnessing the meeting, a lone half-orc stepped forward, dressed in the uniform of one of the Hellcaller acolytes. The half-orc bowed before Giordano and the Council, then turned and offered the same to Thixon. “I would be honored to assist in handling the Apostate Deneth.”

“My Lord!” Thixon spat. “You know I don’t need help in this, let along from one of Deneth’s Hellcaller apprentices. This…” Thixon cut Arioch with his narrowed gaze, “boy has no business on this mission and will only serve to hinder its success.”

Giordano waved his hands, dismissing Thixon’s protestations. “Lord Knight, you are among the most trusted of our Hellknights, and you are more than capable in handling Deneth. However, Arioch has completed his Hellcaller training and his proficiency as a summoner is formidable. His knowledge of planar creatures and Deneth himself will be of use to you. You will take him with you.”

Thixon grunted, but bowed. “My lord.” He turned an about-face, and began to head out of the chamber. Arioch shuffled quickly after him.

As the pair passed the chamber doors, Thixon cut a quick glance at the young half-orc. “I swear, boy, if you slow me down I will gut you myself and find someone to blame it on.”

Arioch gulped, but nodded.

The Hamatula, known to mortals as a barbed devil, grabbed both of Thixon’s arms, and pulled both limbs towards him with its massive otherworldly strength. With a quick kick to Thixon’s chest, the fiend ripped both of the man’s arms out of their sockets and sent what was left of the Hellknight’s body flying through the air. Thixon gurgled, his eyes open wide in shock, and then fell silent.

As Arioch watched Thixon die, the summoner was overcome simultaneously with fear and the realization of failure. The two Hellknights had spent the last month-and-a-half scouring The Shackles looking for signs of Deneth. The trail had finally led to an abandoned warehouse in Port Peril, where Thixon and Arioch believed that they had the summoner cornered, but in reality they had walked right into his trap. Now, there was a powerful devil between Deneth and his former apprentice.

Deneth chuckled, and raised a hand to stay the barbed devil from slaying the young half-orc. “Arioch, my old friend. My, it is so good to see you. I would offer you the chance to free yourself from the manacles of the Hellknight codes and continue your tutelage under me, but I know that you wouldn’t do that…plus I would always fear that one day you would betray me. So, instead I will offer you a choice: Flee now, and I will give you a minute’s head start before my friend here starts to hunt you, or die where you stand.” Deneth’s eyes flicked over to the devil, still holding Thixon’s bloody stumps in its claws.

Arioch reviewed his options within a split second. While he, to, was able to summon creatures from the Outer Planes, the only beasts that would answer his call were so small and weak that they would be no more than gnats to Deneth and the fiends that he had at his disposal. The half-orc knew that he would die within seconds should he choose to initiate combat. The other option would be to run for his life. While this might keep him alive for a longer period of time, he would be seen by the Order as either a traitor, a deserter, a coward, or some combination of the three. The Council would always ask why Thixon died and he survived, and regardless of the answer, the questions would be enough for the Order to torture him, followed by hanging.
The latter choice at least offered a small chance of survival, and Arioch took it. He turned, and ran as fast as his feet could carry him. As he made his way into the city streets he remembered the boat that he and Thixon had purchased passage on from the coastal town of Quent to Port Peril. He had been told that they were going to be staying in port only long enough to resupply, and then they would leave tonight for the Mwangi Expanse and later the capitol city of Sargava. This might give him a chance to get off of the island before Deneth and his underlings found him and made sport of tearing him limb from limb.

Arioch turned towards the city harbor, hoping that the Jenivere had not yet left port.

His heart still racing from the night’s events, Arioch crept into his cabin aboard the merchant vessel, and closed the door behind him. He sat down on his cot and rubbed his hands across his shaved pate. After a few seconds, the half-orc sat up straight and began concentrating, using his summoner’s training. Arioch extended his thoughts through the barriers between planes, searching for one individual consciousness. Minion, I call you to my side.

The response came back. And I will answer the call.

A small mote of light appeared in the room, and grew until it took up a space of about three feet. Stepping out of the disc of light was what appeared to be a small reptilian humanoid creature, similar to a kobold but wearing robes similar to Arioch’s. The eidolon looked to his master and bowed. The extraplanar being spoke to the summoner telepathically, “What can I do for you, master?”

Arioch shook his head. “I really don’t need you to do anything tonight, Minion. I just need someone to talk to. I’m…well, we’re in a real jam here. Thixon is dead, and Deneth is still alive. We’re fleeing The Shackles on board a merchant ship headed south, and the Council is certain to label me a traitor or coward. Either way, they’re going to want me dead.”

The eidolon shrugged. “Perhaps, or perhaps they are going to assume that you are already dead. When they use their magic to find out what happened, do you think they are going to ask about you, or do you think that they are going to ask about Thixon? If they learn that he is dead, they are most likely going to assume that you are too.”

Arioch blinked. “But what happens when I return to the Citadel?”

Minion shrugged again. “Well…I thought that was simple. Don’t go back. It’s not like you were that popular with them, being a half-orc bastard and all.”

The summoner sat back on the cot. This wasn’t something he had previously considered. They were heading away from Cheliax and the Citadel. The Order would have little reason to chase him all the way to Sargava. Perhaps he could start anew there, continuing his studies and further developing his magic. One day, after his powers had matured, he might could even challenge Deneth more fully, and then return to the Order as a conquering hero. All questions of his loyalty would be answered when he handed the Apostate’s head to the Council.

Arioch nodded at Minion. “To Sargava, then.”

Attachments

• Arioch1.jpg
    Arioch1.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

Joachim

First Post
Here is a .pdf of Arioch's character sheet, at 2nd level (we made it to 3rd as of last night).

Couple of notes on feats....JD lets us take a bonus feat at 1st if we participate in the Crit/Fumble decks (which Paizo has recently released as iPhone apps I might add), and we also use the Hero Points system from the APG. Arioch is using the Antihero option, which gives an additional bonus feat at first level.

Attachments

• Arioch.pdf
    229.6 KB · Views: 317

JollyDoc

Explorer
Agnar

"Vahr, I have need of your slave" Agnar said to the alchemist. As the half-orc held out payment, Vahr looked like he might want to spit in his hand, but was wise enough not to cross his favorite customer’s "boy". Agnar knew that the old man saw him as nothing more than an errand runner for the pirate’s shore-based operations.
“Zavasta!” Vahr called over his shoulder.
A surly looking fellow ducked out from behind a curtain to the shop’s back room. The two half-orcs nodded to one another, and were then on their way. As they lost sight of Vahr’s shop, Zavasta’s mood brightened, and he looked at Agnar with a toothy boyish smile.
"What do I get to burn today?" he asked.
“I received word from the Captain that some cargo he purchased was not what it was supposed to be,” the priest replied. “Since he is out to sea, it falls to us to take care of it before they skip town."
As they walked into a dark alley, two heavily cloaked figures stepped out of the shadows. One held out a bag that contained Zavasta's special gear. The young alchemist went to work making his concoctions, while Agnar began giving instructions to the two cloaked figures that Zavasta knew to be nothing more than animated corpses. As he spoke, the priest’s thoughts went back to the day when he’d first learned of his “unique” talents…

The ruins were quiet, no sound not even the drip of water or a rat as the group of Pathfinders read the runes and random writings on the wall. A scrawny looking half-orc stood by holding a torch, a job he did unhappily, but what else could a half-orc from the shingles do? Adventurers often went into the ruins and dungeons located around the area, but what did you do for light? Agnar had made his living since his early years by following such groups and bearing their lanterns and torches. That is what now brought him to this dank ruin of a temple. The Pathfinders had been looking for something for the past week, and by their excited talk at night, they believed they were close. As Ryze, their scout, ran his hand along a wall, he touched something and the room began to rumble.
Brutas, the group’s big swordsman, began screaming, "Light! Light, you worthless accident of misplaced lust!"
Since Agnar could see naturally in darkness, he dashed for the lanterns. Moments later, he bathed the room in a warm glow, and saw the Pathfinders dusting themselves off and assessing their situation. The chamber they’d been in had fallen into an under level of the ruins, and now they were trapped.
"Let’s start looking for a way back up,” Ryze said. “I remember a funny crack we passed yesterday. I didn’t think much of it but, I’m assuming it might have been another way down here." Weapons out, they proceeded through the underground complex room-by-room searching, examining, and grabbing things of interest. Agnar wished they could just leave. Eventually, they came upon a set of double doors, and after Ryze deemed them safe, they opened them. The moment they did so, undead spilled from the chamber beyond. The Pathfinders fought and managed to take down the most horrid looking zombie Agnar had ever seen. Taric, the group’s Venture Captain, thought the beast might be the leader of the walking corpses, but its death seemed to enrage them even more, and another tide spilled from the room. The group withdrew, taking down zombies and skeletons as they went. The undead were relentless, following the group’s retreat. Brutas was the first to go down, and then Taric sacrificed himself, taking a half-dozen or more of the zombies with him. Ryze then accidentally tripped a trap while searching for an escape route. Agnar thought it due justice for getting them into this mess in the first place. Agnar and the wizard Scythus continued running blindly down the corridors. Turning a corner, they paused to catch their breath.
"They are following the light," Agnar whispered as he doused it.
Then, without thinking twice, he smashed the lantern into the wizard’s knee and ran, leaving him to the undead. Agnar ducked into a room, but he saw that the undead still followed. Determined to face death head-on, he waited in the center of the room, which was filled with books and scrolls.
"It ends here," he said, but then something washed over him.
The skeletons shambling towards the door halted, watching him. Agnar rushed to the door and slammed it, locking it. With no answers to his good fortune, he did what he had seen adventurers do: he began looking around the room for answers. There he discovered the Truth of Charon. The spot he had been standing on bore the daemon lord's symbol. Emerging from the room a day later, he found the remaining undead subservient to his will. Performing a ritual that he’d learned from the vile books, he ripped the skeleton from the body of one of the Pathfinders. His new minion in tow, he found his way out of the complex eventually, and set out upon his new path, a simple torch bearer no more.

Agnar channeled dark energy, snuffing the life from the last two smugglers. Zavasta had already set several more on fire with the incendiary bombs he’d cooked up. Stripping one of the bodies of its cloak and boots, they left the warehouse. Agnar released control of his undead minions, dressing them in the discarded clothing. It would make the city guards look good to slay them, and as long as the authorities had scapegoats, the likelihood of a serious investigation into the deaths of the smugglers would be greatly reduced. Much cheaper than a bribe, and corpses were plentiful.
Upon arriving at Vahr’s door, Agnar turned to Zavasta.
"This was my last mission working for Captain Selek,” the priest said. “I will be leaving on the Jenivere tomorrow. I gave your name to the captain should you want a new job. He’ll purchase you, and then you can take over. It’s not too difficult, keeping track of crew members on shore leave, taking bribes to certain officials, keeping records of on land assets, and of course, the occasional killing. I’m stagnating here. Maybe adventure and power await me in Sargava."
With that he knocked on Vahr’s door, and told Vahr that the Captain might be by to see him personally next time. He took his leave, nodding once more to Zavasta. Tomorrow the ship would be pulling out. Agnar needed to see that his new minion was properly equipped.

Attachments

• Agnar.jpg
    Agnar.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:

JollyDoc

Explorer
As Zavasta looked down at the alchemist's body, he knew that no one else would ever suffer the abuse he had at his former master’s hands, seeing as how the old man had no hands any more. Zavasta had finally reached his breaking point, and had taken his revenge for all the years of torture and humiliation. Now all he had to do was to figure out how to get out of here before someone found Vahr’s body. The alchemist had never been well liked, but he did supply a valuable service to the local pirates, and some would want Zavasta dead, or worse, make him take over the shop, which would be akin to being eternally damned. He thought back to the only good thing he could say Vahr ever did, which was outbidding that group of devil-worshiping Hellknights at the slave auction who had wanted to use him as a living sacrifice. At least Vahr hadn’t killed him.

Zavasta knew the Jenivere was supposed to leave port this evening and he had to be on it. He would disappear and find a new home, somewhere he would be free to use his potions the way he wanted and not how some old bastard said he should. He grabbed a few different reagents and started mixing Hell in a bottle. Why bother hiding Vahr’s body when he could make it disappear altogether? Who cared if the building burned down at the same time? He began humming to himself as the mixed the different components together.

Sometime later, as the Jenivere weighted anchor, he smiled to himself as a loud explosion erupted from the street where Vahr’s shop had been. Now what was that the captain had said about a Hellknight being on board?

Attachments

• Zavasta.jpg
    Zavasta.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 441

JollyDoc

Explorer
Lyrissa

Lyrissa Skylark was alive. She stood along the starboard rail of the weather deck, feeling the easy rolling of the waves beneath her, and the warm sea breeze in her hair. The sun sank slowly into the sea, and the red glow of Akiton was already visible in the southern sky. She had left Port Peril far behind, and her new life lay open before her, as wide as the sea she sailed upon.
Two days ago, however, had not been a good day at all, and it all started when her mother died.

Lyrissa was the rarest of creatures – the product of a loving union between a beautiful half-orc courtesan, and a rakish and talented half-elven bard. Her heritage was difficult to judge at first glance, and her exotic beauty drew more than glances. She was tall and broad-shouldered, but athletically proportioned, and blessed with a dancer’s grace.
Lyria, her mother, was also a rare beauty for a half-orc, and she had been the subject of record bidding among the higher-end pleasure houses in Port Peril. Her father, the well-known troubadour Finnegan Skylark, met Lyria after performing at the Dragon Turtle Tavern, and the two were instantly smitten with one another. Still, after a time, Finnegan resumed his adventuring, and Lyria likewise resumed her career. Little Lyrissa was raised among the other children in the pleasure den, but her father would always send her tokens from his travels: once a wyvern scale, another time a colorful Varisian doll. He wrote her letters from time to time, and occasionally he would visit when his adventures brought him around the Shackles.
The gifts were a relief to her, and she read and reread the letters as an escape from her twisted reality. For Lyrissa, at twelve, was already working in the pleasure house. She had been trained in the arts of dancing, seduction, and more. She didn’t like the way it made her feel, but there was no way out. It was all she had ever known. She loved her mother, but hated what she made her do. It was enough to drive a hurt and confused girl to the brink. Her father’s letters were all that kept her from falling apart.

When Lyrissa was fifteen, her father made one of his rare appearances, but the visit did not go well. The girl heard her parents arguing, so she did what any curious teenager would do – she listened through the door. Her father had heard about what was going on, and he became enraged. Her mother screamed at him that he didn’t understand, he was never there, and besides, his crazy life was no better than hers. In moments, security stormed up the stairs, shoved Lyrissa out of the way, and kicked in the door. Finnegan drew his blade on the bouncers, and it hummed with magical energy. He began to sing, and the magic-infused melody awakened something inside Lyrissa. She felt the power in the music, and it surged within her.
Without a thought, she grabbed the nearest weapon at hand, an ornate bronze statue, and came from behind the nearest enforcer. He never knew what hit him, and went down with his skull bashed-in. Her father skewered another guard, and then turned to see Lyrissa standing with the bloody statue in her hand.
“Let’s get out of here.” was all he said.
Lyrissa nodded numbly and dropped the statue with a heavy thud.
“Well then, you ready to run like the Hells?”
Her father reached for her hand, and as they turned to run, she looked back to see the tear-streaked face of her mother, standing among the carnage in her room. Then Lyrissa ran for her life.

Finnegan made good their escape, and the two left Port Peril to travel Golarion together. He taught her the ways of the song and the spell, and an adventuring friend taught her the ways of the sword. Unfortunately, she did not have long to learn. Almost a year to the day after they fled the Shackles, she found her father dead in his bed. There wasn’t a single mark on the body. It had to be poison. Or magic. All of his possessions were gone. All their gold, everything.
All of the hurt, all of the anguish came back. Lyrissa was penniless, alone, and utterly without hope. She turned back to what she knew in order to survive. In order to separate her self from how she made her gold, she stuffed all her fear, her shame, and her self-loathing into a separate personality she called “Lisa”. Lisa was good at what she did. So good that it didn’t take long to amass enough money to buy passage on a ship bound for the Shackles. And while Lisa didn’t care, Lyrissa wanted to cling to something familiar, the only thing she had left – her mother.
When her ship, the Jenivere arrived in Port Peril, Captain Kovack mentioned that they would be in port for three days. Not that it mattered, she was home now.

She dared not return to the pleasure house after what had happened the year before, but she hired an errand boy to take a message to her mother. When he returned, he said that one of the other ladies told him that Lyria hadn’t worked there for months.
It didn’t take much investigation to find out what had happened. After Finnegan’s bloody escape, Lyria was thrown out of the pleasure house. She tried keep up her clientele, but her reputation was ruined, and she was older now. It wasn’t long before she fell into despair, and started drinking heavily. She then turned to Snake Weed, and finally succumbed to the highly-addictive Abyss Dust. Now she lived in a ramshackle tenement near the docks, turning tricks in order to pay the rent and feed her habit.
Lyrissa and “Lisa” could relate. She set out to find her mother. When she arrived, a street boy told her that the “half-orc lady” had left a little earlier and was headed toward the warehouses down by the docks. Lyrissa followed along. She knew where her mother was going - Vahr’s. Vahr was a small time alchemist and drug dealer who sold mostly to the most desperate souls – pirates, prostitutes, and the like.
As she turned onto the street, Lyrissa saw her mother. Lyria was dressed in a ragged cloak, and she made straight for the unmarked warehouse that housed Vahr’s shop. Lyrissa watched as her mother crossed the cobbled street towards the shop. Suddenly, the building erupted in a titanic explosion. A blast of fire, wood, and stone burst out into the street. Lyrissa’s mother was literally blown to pieces as she watched.
Lyrissa stood dumbstruck. Her mother was gone. Her father was gone. She was truly alone. Her ears were still ringing, and her legs were about to give out when she heard a yell from the other side of the street.
A young man was running as fast as he could out of another warehouse. She caught a quick glimpse of his face as he flew by. “Gods, run woman! Run for your very soul!”
Lyrissa looked past him to see what he was running from. That’s when she saw the alien gait of the barbed devil walking from the doorway of the warehouse. It was watching the running man, and then its gaze locked on her. She froze in fear, and the devil strode purposefully towards her, picking its way through the rubble in the street.
Just then a second explosion rocked the alchemist’s shop. A cloud of noxious green smoke billowed out with the blast, knocking the devil sideways, and completely obscuring the entire street.
Lyrissa turned and ran as fast as she could. She ran for the most crowded streets and quickly lost herself among the throngs by the docks.
There was nowhere else to go. She was without family, friends, or a home. So she made her way back to the Jenivere.
Captain Kovack was at the gangplank. “I thought you were staying here?”
“No.”
He stared at her blank face. “You okay?”
“No.”
“Well then… um, you can keep your cabin. We’re headed for Bloodcove at first light.”
Lyrissa didn’t even answer. She didn’t care. “Lisa” thought Bloodcove sounded lovely.

Attachments

• LyrissaImage.jpg
    LyrissaImage.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 404

JollyDoc

Explorer
Gorak

Gorak was a simple half-orc. He liked the smell of the sea in the morning, the sight of the sky when the sun went down and the glow of the water when the moon came up at night. He was not what you would call bright, but he was strong. He came from a long line of strong orc blood. His grandfather Torak had been a mighty warrior, strong of heart and noble in spirit. He led a small tribe of orcs in the stolen lands. They kept to themselves, and lived by the motto of life: kill or be killed. They defended themselves, they hunted, and they did not kill for pleasure, yet they showed no mercy. Korak, son of Torak, was also a hero of the people. He began trade with the local towns, hired merchants, and traded pelts and services for gold, weapons and armor.

The small community was prospering despite the open warfare that raged throughout the Stolen Lands, and Gorak had completed his rites of passage. He was fierce in combat and could show phenomenal strength and skill by entering the Blood Rage. It was a sweltering day when his world ended, and the tribe’s shaman was on edge. He had been muttering to himself for days, “The Bones. The Bones!”
The tribe had been dutiful with their blood sacrifices according through the years, and the last thirty seasons they had blessed with peace and prosperity. This year was different. The shaman read the bones of the virgin sacrifice as completeness with no more use for life.

That day, two strangers entered the village along with twenty heavily armed troops. One of their number, a half-orc of all things, walked forward and cast his icy gaze at the village tribesmen who were gathering their weapons at the sudden appearance of the invaders.
"They are all evil, Velox,” he pronounced, “even the women and children. I say kill them all. They’re beyond redemption.”
The leader nodded his agreement and stepped forward. His eyes glazed over and he began speaking in an unknown but beautiful-sounding tongue. Then the killing began.

Gorak awoke hours later. He had fallen early in the battle, and one of the other hunters had apparently pulled him to safety, bandaged his wounds and lashed him onto a horse. It took him many days to gather enough strength to walk. He returned his village, only to find everyone gone, or slaughtered. A massive funeral pyre still burned. He followed the tracks of the soldiers to a local fort, where he learned that their leaders were an inquisitor and an oracle, the rulers of the area. Gorak vowed his revenge but he knew he was too weak and inexperienced to succeed in anything but dying again. He decided to head south and bide his time. His travels ultimately led him to the Shackles, a place far enough away to avoid the killers of his people.

Attachments

• Gorak.jpg
    Gorak.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 547

JollyDoc

Explorer
Nessalin

The Queen hovered a foot above the lush grass as she spoke to Kiro within the castle’s gardens. The pair walked among giant, weeping willows which were surrounded by a rainbow of flowers and roses. They drifted among other rare plants such as heartwoods, wierwoods, black lotus, and patches of vivid nightshade. For the last thirteen years, General Kiro and the Queen had skillfully lead the forces of Kardashia against the rebels.
“The kobolds were once again pushed back from their advance on Fort Drelev, my Grace. However, Avashar commands the zombies and advances in the south,” said General Kiro.
“At least there is one witch in Kardashia I can still trust,” replied Mox.

The pair strolled along the gardens and through a section built after the Great Betrayal, as it was known throughout Kardashia. Here statues of each of the rebel leaders depicted them at their “greatest” moments of glory. Tungdill’s statue was of the dwarf, mortally wounded, hanging limp within the beak of an owlbear. The next statue was of the half-orc, Davrim, tears streaming down his face as he cradled the corpse of Velox. Finally, there was Duke Stevhan of Pitax, sitting upon his throne. His massive belly had grown fat through years of sloth. He looked bored and rested his jaw in the palm of his hand. An inscription on his crown read: Duke Stevhan the Craven. A reminder to the people that the Duke of Pitax continued to do nothing as civil war raged across the country. The name had become quite popular throughout the city of Veritas.

Mox paused and turned to face the general.
“Kiro, it’s time that we made a move to finally bring this uprising to an end,” she said.
“How so, my Grace?” asked the monk.
“Tomorrow, Nessalin turns 18 and it shall be his time to come of age. I shall send him to the distance land of Sargava,” Mox announced.
“Why Sargava?” Kiro asked as he folded his arms across his chest.
“I have heard rumor that it is a land rich in ancient ruins and treasure,” Mox replied, “prime for the plundering I hope. I want you to take Nessalin south to the coast and place him on a ship bound for Sargava. There he can prove himself and gather the power and allies needed to strike down Tungdill and the sweet sister-boys of the Iomedae cult.”
Kiro bowed his head and said, “As you wish, my Grace.” With that, his eyes unfocused and a moment later he vanished into thin air...

As Nessalin packed the meager possessions that his mother allowed him to take with him, he reflected on his life and what had brought him to this day. His life as a prince had not been as leisurely as one might imagine. His true father, Kane, had died when he was only a toddler while defending his mother in a heated battle. Later he had learned it was Tungdill’s magic that had killed his father. An accident, he was told for years. He had been so stupid to have believed it. Curiously, the sister-boys, Davrim and Velox, were absent during the battle and had decided to guard the horses or scout or some such. That to was just another lie.
‘How convenient,’ thought Nessalin as he narrowed his eyes. ‘It was Velox that started the Great Betrayal by stabbing my mother in the back.’
However, Mox proved much stronger than Kane, and had dropped the oracle with a single spell. Only the combined efforts of Tungdill and Davrim had driven his mother away in battle. And his former step-father had proven almost as bad,failing to aid his mother in the battle as he had. After being rescued from the vile compulsion, he refused to bring the people of Pitax to the aid of Kardashia and its Queen. It had taught Nessalin a valuable lesson. Trust no one...

Kiro and Nessalin rode a pair of shaggy, northern horses as they entered the city of Magnimar in Varisia. It wasn’t long until they found their way to an old inn called the Greying Griffin. It was there that the pair found Captain Kovack at a table drinking a pint of dark, brown stout. Within the hour, Kiro had negotiated a deal for Nessalin to join Captain Kovack’s crew aboard the Jenivere and serve as one of the ship’s guards on the voyage to Sarvaga.

Kiro departed the next morning and headed back to Kardashia. Nessalin took his place among the crew and tried to make the best of things. He quickly learned the basics of sailing and tried to make the most of the long, lonely voyage. He tried to learn as much as possible about the crew and what they knew of Sargava. As the voyage continued, Nessalin started up a regular dice game after his shift. It wasn’t long until the game attracted more than just crew members. As it turned out, dice is a favorite game of many a half-orc. Two in particular became regulars, the first was a Hellknight and a talented summoner, and the second was an unusual alchemist. He feared a fight might break out when a swarthy, half-orc bardess joined the game one night. The other half-orcs almost fell over themselves telling tales of their bravery and accomplishments to impress the foreign beauty. However, Ness, as the crew called him, kept his stories and birthright closely guarded secrets. He didn’t want to wind up as a hostage and held ransom. Trust no one is what he had learned, and that is what he did.

Attachments

• Nessalin.jpg
    Nessalin.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 340

JollyDoc

Explorer
Jack Clyde

Selena Naevar began her career as a sacred prostitute in the temple of Calistria in the city of Magnimar, in the frontier region of Varisia. There she honed her skills as an informant for the Savored Sting, gaining valuable information and gossip on any and all of her lovers. She was on a quest to rise to power within the temple, and she was well on her way to doing so with the secrets she’d learned and her skills as a healer.

Captain Sammael Clyde came to Magnimar due to the few restrictions they had on trade. Clyde began to frequent the Temple of Calistria after his long and lonely voyages, and that was where he first met Selena. She was everything he needed… beautiful, smart, and without attachments. Clyde, however, was not without his own secrets and Selena was determined to find out what they were. Captain Clyde would always pay extra gold and bring her exotic gifts from around the world, which seemed a bit extravagant to her for a merchant vessel captain. As it so happened, Captain Clyde was not just an ordinary merchant seaman… he was a Free Captain that hailed from The Shackles aboard his ship, the Ocean's Lust, a light and fast sloop. Selena used all of her many contacts to keep track of Sammael, which ultimately led her to the truth of his pirate ways. On his last visit to the Temple to see her, she confronted him about his piracy. Sammael promised her that he had a plan to go legitimate, and join the governing body of the Shackles, which he thought would be a safer environment for Selena and himself. He had decided to sail in the Free Captain’s Regatta for a spot on the Pirate Council. After he won, he would be able to take care of her forever. As luck would have it, however, Clyde did not win the race due to a particularly nasty skirmish with a giant squid. He and his crew were able to push the mighty beast back and escape its clutches, but the battle cost the captain an eye. It was after this that he came to be known as One-Eyed Clyde. Clyde never returned to his love Selena after his disgrace of losing the Ocean’s Lust on that fateful night. He also never met his son Jackson either, the child who was conceived on his very last visit with Selena.

Despite her best efforts, Selena found very little information about One-Eyed Clyde. Mostly she would hear tales of his insatiable lust to find another boat and hunt down the monster that had taken his eye, and cost him his love. Some sailors believed he had gone mad. Others said he was still seeking a spot on the Pirate Council through more nefarious means. Only time would tell.

Determined to raise Jackson herself, Selena put him in one of the best schools Magnimar had to offer. She also gave the boy his father’s last name. Though she wanted him to be proud of his elven heritage, she also wanted him to be aware at all times of his human side. She would tell him bed time stories about his father, and all of the great adventures he was having out at sea. Only she knew which ones were true and which ones she had created for the benefit of her young son. It wasn’t until much later in Jackson’s life that he found out the truth about his father. He had left school early one day, as he often did, and wound up at the docks where he sat and watched the gulls fly around the masts of the great ships that lay at anchor. He overheard a group of merchants talking about the loss of half their cargo to a pirate with one eye. Jackson caught the name One-Eyed Clyde. He ran back home as fast as he could to ask his mother if this could be the same man she had been told him stories about. Selena admitted that it might be, and from that point on Jackson was determined to learn everything about his father.

Every day after his classes, he would wind up at the docks, listening to the stories of the sailors of their travels. Jackson would always keep an ear out for any word on his lost father. After Jackson finished school, Selena used her contacts to secure a job for him as a junior Paige for the Council of Ushers. Jackson spent most of his time wandering the city on errands given by the Council, who used him mostly as a gopher for the more dangerous parts of town, sending some message to a guild leader, or delivering packages to a council supporter.

When he was done with his errands for the day, Jack, as he’d taken to calling
himself, would usually end up at the Besotted Kraken, his favorite watering hole. The place looked like any other bar, but when one looked beneath the grime the elegance of its earlier days could still be seen. The tavern sat near the docks, and sailors fresh off the boats would come in frequently, and tell their stories of their adventures at sea, and their battles against mermen, sea dragons, and pirates. Jack would sit at the bar and listen to these stories for hour upon hour, hoping for some word about his father. Captain Clyde’s name would come up every so often, but the stories never really panned out. Usually the last anyone had heard of him was that he had been lost at sea while competing in the Free Captain’s Regatta. On one particular night, there were no stories of adventure, only talk of a poker game aboard the merchant ship Jenivere. The host of the game, a sailor they called Nessalin, looked to be an easy mark, so Jackson decided he would ask to join. ‘Why not,’ he thought? He could use some coins for the next night’s rounds of beer.

That night on the Jenivere, Jack sat at a small round table across from five other shifty looking characters. The ante started low, but the game was no-limits. By the end of the first hand, there were several gold coins gleaming on top of the table in small pile. Jack’s eyes glowed with greed and pride at the bluffing techniques he had learned from the members of the Savored Sting.
Looking down at his cards, he realized that the only way out of the hand was to go all- in and hope that would be enough to scare away the other players. His gamble worked, fortunately for him, for he’d risked all the coin he had. They played well into the night until, finally, it was just Jack, Nessalin and a man called Drake remaining. It seemed as though the cards always fell in Drake’s favor. Jack’s stack of coins began to wither to almost nothing. ‘Now or never’, Jack thought to himself. All- in again. That was when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. Drake’s left sleeve held what looked to be the tip of a playing card. Jack leaned over and whispered to Nessalin that they may have a cheater at the table. Nessalin
politely excused himself from the table for another glass of ale, but when he
returned, he was accompanied by a hulking half-orc named Gorak. The last thing Jack remembered was the table being tossed in the air and fists flying. It seemed that when Gorak got upset, he would proceed to beat everyone around him to a pulp.

Jack woke to the sound of waves and salty sea water misting him in the face. He was still on the boat and it seemed they were n where close to land. Captain Korvak approached Jack and stood glaring over him.
“Get to work, boy, or get off my ship,” the captain said.
Jack chose the former, and from that point on, he became a member of the Jenivere’s crew.

Attachments

• jack2.jpg
    jack2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,979

JollyDoc

Explorer
Souls For Smuggler's Shiv

The Jenivere was some five days out of Senghor, crossing Desperation Bay towards its final port-of-call in Eleder. There were thirty-four souls aboard the vessel, including twenty-three crew, ten passengers, and the Captain, one Alizandru Kovack. The voyage, which began in Magnimar, and had taken the better part of four months, had been largely uneventful, with the exception of a harrowing circuit around the Eye of Abendego, and the fact that most of sailors weren’t exactly thrilled with the excessive number of half-orcs on board. Now, however, as the journey was nearing its end, the crew was on edge, for it was becoming increasingly clear to them that the ship was off course…many miles off course, in fact. If the Captain continued on their current heading, then the Jenivere was headed into waters known for dangerous currents, piracy, monsters and worse.

On the final night of the voyage, though none of the passengers were aware this was the case, dinner was served in the galley as it had been every night before, and the conversation was easy. It wasn’t long, however, before the lives of everyone on board were changed forever. There was nausea, panic, fear, and the feeling of drowning followed, finally, by darkness…

Agnar felt something rough and grating under his back. Sand? His feet were wet and cold. That sound…waves? The ocean? There was pressure on his legs…something heavy, pressing down on him. Then…a sharp, searing pain in his left foot! His eyes flew open and he found himself eye-to-eye with a true monster! Two large pincers grasped at the air before the sleek creature, while a finned tail bristling with a long, thin stinger rose from behind it. It was like some freakish cross between a crab and a scorpion…and it had apparently just taken a bite out of the priest’s foot! He kicked the beast off of him, and leaped to his feet. As he did so, he was overcome by a sudden wave of nausea, and he doubled over, clutching his knees. The sea scorpion scuttled towards him, its claws snapping at his face.
“May the Ferryman take you, foul beast!” he cursed.
Black energy gathered around his hand, and he thrust it into the monster’s face. It shrieked, and then curled up into a shriveled husk on the beach. It was only then that Agnar noticed the bodies scattered across the sand…and the other pair of sea scorpions moving towards them.

Lyrissa thought she heard shouting and fighting. She opened her eyes, but her vision was blurred, and the sunlight above her was so very bright. She knew immediately that she was about to vomit, and she rolled to her side to empty her stomach. It was then that she saw the large crustacean scrabbling towards her. Instinctively, her hand went for her falchion…only to find her scabbard empty. She saw a pile of gear stacked haphazardly several feet away, and she kicked off with her feet and lunged for it. As her hand closed on the pommel of her blade, the sea scorpion’s claw clamped down on her wrist. She gritted her teeth to stifle the scream coming up in her throat. She had not shown outward signs of pain in a long time, and she wasn’t about to start now. Wrenching her arm loose, she made it to her knees and stabbed down as hard as she could, her sword gripped in both hands. Impaled, the creature rolled into a ball, dead. Lyrissa looked around, trying to wrap her mind around what she was seeing. Bodies were laying everywhere, but she couldn’t tell whether they were alive or dead. Then she saw the creepy priest standing several yards away, cursing to himself as blood ran down his face. Another dead scorpion lay at his feet. Finally, she saw the third crustacean making its way inexorably towards one of the other bodies. Was it Arioch? It didn’t matter. She wasn’t about to let anyone be possibly eaten alive. She climbed to her feet, and charged across the sand, her head spinning all the while. The animal turned towards her as she drew near, but she managed to driver her blade into its face before it could attack, and then she collapsed to her knees, her stomach threatening to revolt again.

Slowly, as each one of them returned nauseatingly to consciousness, it became apparent that all of those upon the beach were still alive, though somewhat worse for wear. In addition to Agnar and Lyrissa, there were three crewmen present, and all of the other passengers, save one. There had been a rather plain-looking Varisian woman named Ieana on board. She had boarded the Jenivere in Magnimar, and though pleasant enough, had mostly kept to herself, leading to much speculation among the crew that she might be a secret Chelish agent, or perhaps the true owner of the ship, or even Captain Kovack’s secret lover. Whatever the actual truth, it appeared to be a moot point, since she had most likely drowned at sea.

“Does anyone remember anything about what happened, or how we got here?” Lyrissa asked the others.
Each of them all recounted similar memories of sitting down to dinner, and then a confusing jumble of events, all involving sickness, feelings of drowning, and then…nothing. The logical conclusion was that the Jenivere sank or wrecked, and the survivors washed up on shore of wherever they were.
“I think I can answer that part, at least,” said a gnome, who though he had
just been through the same trauma as everyone else, was dressed impeccably with not a smudge of dirt on him.
This was Gelik Aberwhinge. He’d boarded the ship in Magnimar as well, though in something of a rush. He’d entertained the passengers and crew with his quick wit during the voyage, though he had a vicious streak when it came to the misfortunes of others, and only his talent for fast-talking had saved him from a beating on several occasions.
“Unless I miss my guess,” Gelik continued, “this is Smuggler’s Shiv. It’s an island not marked on most maps, just north of Eleder. It has a reputation for its habit of wrecking ships that get too close…like ours. Of course, most of those ships are smugglers, hoping to avoid the Sargavan navy. Oh, and the island’s also supposed to be haunted.”
“Well,” Agnar smiled, “I’d be willing to be it wasn’t a ghost that dragged us out of the surf. Someone stacked our gear up rather neatly, and look here,” he pointed to a single set of footprints that went to and from the water, along with several sets of furrows in the sand. “That same someone pulled each of us up the beach. I wonder where our savior went.”
“Why do I feel like I was on the world’s worst bender last night, and then somebody threw up in my mouth?”
This from a trim, athletic woman with elvish blood somewhere in her lineage. She had short, dark hair, tanned skin and fierce blue eyes. She wore tight-fitting leathers, and had immediately fished a tricorn hat out of the pile of gear upon awakening. Aerys Mavato had joined the voyage in Port Peril, and
had immediately gotten into a fight with one of the ship’s crew when he made an ill-advised suggestion that he and she could share bunks. After beating the man unconscious with her bare hands, she’d spent much of the remainder of the trip isolated in her cabin.
“Poison,” Zavasta said.
“What?” Aerys asked sharply. “How would you know that?”
“Trust me,” the alchemist smiled, “I know poison, especially when I drink it. That explains why none of us can remember the past few hours. Amnesia’s a side-effect of oil of taggit.”
“Perfect,” the half-elf shook her head. “Poisoned and ship-wrecked. I could use a drink.”
“So now what do we do?” Sasha Nevah asked.
She was a striking young woman with tousled red hair and mischievous green eyes. She’d booked passage on the Jenivere in Ilizmagorti, and her wild tales of adventure had endeared her to the crew, though the fact that she was missing the pinky finger of her left hand, not to mention the conspicuous Red Mantis tattoo between her shoulder blades, also made them leery of her. She
also seemed a little too eager for tales of blood and mayhem, her enthusiasm sometimes bordering on the manic.
“Well, I would suggest we start with searching the ship,” Arioch offered. He nodded towards the sea
The others looked, and there was the Jenivere. She was listing badly to port, partially submerged, and her hull was a gaping ruin as she leaned against a jagged cliff side among several sharp rocks. It was obvious that she would never sail again.

Only the fortuitous presence of a sharp ridge of rock near the side of the sheer cliff wall had prevented the remains of the Jenivere from sinking entirely into the sea, for only the ship’s stern seemed to have survived the wreck. That portion was wedged at an angle between the cliff and the rocks, and each wave shook and tossed the it alarmingly. It wouldn’t be long before the constant pounding of the surf dislodged the boat and allowed the hungry sea to claim the last of the once-fine sailing vessel.
Fortunately, the tide was low, exposing several slippery rocks that could be navigated up to a ledge on the cliff that overlooked the upper deck of the Jenivere. As the survivors drew nearer, they began to hear a terrible racket coming from somewhere on the lower deck.
“Maybe someone else made it,” Lyrissa said.
“Guess there’s only one way to find out,” Agnar said as he started down the cliff towards the deck.
Secretly, the priest both hoped and feared that the noises they were hearing were what he thought they were. Slim. When he’d first boarded the Jenivere, Agnar had disguised his skeletal minion in a bulky cloak so as not to alarm his
fellow voyagers, and explained its presence away as a manservant. Throughout the cruise, he’d left Slim (as he’d taken to calling the skeleton) in his cabin, keeping it away from prying eyes. When Slim hadn’t been on the beach when he’d awoken, the priest had assumed it had been lost in the wreck. Now, he had renewed hope that the skeleton had survived, but it also concerned him, for how would he explain a walking corpse to the rest of the survivors?

Several of the others joined Agnar, including Zavasta, the Hellknight Arioch, Lyrissa, and the three surviving crew members, a hulking half-orc called Gorak, a half-blood elf whelp named Jack, and the quiet one who’d run the nightly dice game in the galley, Nessalin. Aerys, Gelik and Sasha remained on the beach, along with the old Tienese fellow, Ishirou, and the prisoner, of course. The deck was canted at a steep angle, so they had to be careful as they clambered towards the steps that led to the hold.
“Slim?” Agnar called out softly as he descended the stairs into the darkness.
“Priest, watch out!” Zavasta shouted from behind him.
Agnar instinctively ducked as the alchemist lobbed a fire bomb over his head, directly into the face of the sea scorpion that had been lurking at the bottom of the stairwell. The creature shrieked and scuttled backwards away from the
flames. The next thing Agnar knew, Arioch had pushed past him on the stairs and, holding his hands in front of him, seemingly opened a hole in the middle of the air. From this hole flew a screeching golden eagle. It swooped towards the sea scorpion, its beak snapping and its talons ripping. A moment later, Zavasta hucked a second bomb, and when this one exploded, it engulfed both the crustacean and the eagle, destroying them both.
“Sorry,” the alchemist shrugged when Arioch turned to glare at him.

Agnar’s hopes that Slim had survived the wreck were quickly dashed when he saw that his cabin was nowhere to be found. In fact, very little of the lower decks remained at all. Still they searched what they could. The captain’s cabin was still attached, but was a complete mess. A jagged hole in the side had allowed most of the room’s contents to spill out into the surf and wash away. Yet an overturned desk was too large to fit through the hole and had lodged there. One upper drawer contained a set of keys, which Nessalin was quick to drop into his pocket. Another drawer held several sea charts and maps, along with the captain’s log. Nessalin took this as well. A final drawer contained a bottle of fine brandy and a small coffer that held several hundred gold coins.
“That would be the payroll, wouldn’t it?” Jack asked.
“Appears so,” Nessalin said, reaching for it.
“Hold on there, boy,” Zavasta snarled. “Seems to me a payroll is meant to pay the crew of a ship. Since there’s no ship anymore, stands to reason there’s no need for a crew. That makes this salvage, and salvage is usually finders keepers. I think we should discuss the distribution of that money once we get it back to shore.”
Nessalin stared darkly at the half-orc, but merely nodded and stood aside.
The only other thing of use in the cabin was a large footlocker that looked to hold spare gear, including a well-made dagger, a suit of leather armor, and an amulet that bore the symbol of Nethys, god of magic.
“I don’t remember the cap being a particularly religious man,” Jack said.
“He wasn’t,” Nessalin agreed.
“If he was, then he chose his patron poorly,” Agnar chimed in. “Take it all and we’ll add it to the rest.”

The next area they found intact was the ship’s larder. It was there that, in addition to a fair amount of preserved rations, they found the body of the ship’s cook.
“Was he poisoned to?” Lyrissa asked.
“You could say that,” Agnar replied as he knelt beside the corpse. “Look at
his neck. See those two holes? Puncture wounds…maybe from a snake? Any of you boys remember Cookie here having a pet snake?” He looked at the crewmen.
“No,” Nessalin shook his head. “Captain didn’t allow pets on board.”
Agnar shrugged. “We got poisoned, he got bit. Strange goings-on, wouldn’t you say?”

The only other location on the ship that had survived was the supply room. The first indication the intrepid explorers had that something was not right inside were the trickles of blood that ran from beneath it. The door was stuck, but one shoulder blow from big Gorak remedied that problem. As the door gave way, a second body tumbled out.
“It’s Alton,” Nessalin said quietly.
“Who?” Arioch asked.
“Alton Devers,” the sailor replied. “He was the first mate. He was a good man.”
Agnar bent to examine the dead seaman.
“Two different sets of wounds on this one,” he observed. “See here? These look a bit older…puncture wounds, but from a thin blade of some sort rather than our snake friend, I’d say. These newer marks, here,” he indicated the man’s chest, “look like inflamed stings. I guess the sea scorpion got to him before he locked himself in. Pity.”
“Can I have a look at the log?” Lyrissa asked Nessalin. “Maybe something in there will shed some light on just what in the Hells went on here.”
Nessalin pulled the book from his shirt and passed it to the bard.

As it turned out, the captain’s journal did indeed make for some interesting reading. The earliest entries, those from previous voyages, were precise in recording progress and events along the way, as were the entries from the first two-thirds of the current journey. Yet, as Lyrissa read on, the more recent the logs got, the less common they became. In some cases, several days were missing entries altogether. The ones that did appear were strangely short, and focused more and more on one of the passengers in particular…the Varisian scholar Ieana. It seemed as if Captain Kovack had become obsessed with her. Several entries were nothing more than poorly written love poems to her, while others bemoaned the captain’s inability to please her or catch her attention. Near the end of the log, the entries began to take on a more ominous tone, with the captain starting to complain that other members of the crew were eyeing ‘his Ieana.’ In particular, he
suspected his first mate was in love with her, and wrote several times about how he wished Alton would just ‘have an accident.’ The final entry was perhaps the most disturbing, for in it Kovack wrote of how he’d changed course for Smuggler’s Shiv at Ieana’s request. He hoped that the two of them could make a home on the remote island, but also noted that the crew was growing increasingly agitated at the ship’s new course. The captain mused that ‘something may need to be done about the crew’ if their suspicions got any worse.

“Well that explains a lot,” Arioch broke the silence once Lyrissa finished reading. “What kind of weapon did the captain carry?” he asked Nessalin.
“A rapier,” Ness replied. “Why?”
“The wounds on the first mate,” the summoner said. “Seems as if he and the captain may have come to blows before everything went pear-shaped. So none of this was accidental. It was all, in fact, deliberate. But why? What’s the purpose? Surely not something as inane as ‘true love.’”
“Men have done much stupider things for far less,” Lyrissa snorted.
“Let’s get back to the beach,” Arioch said. “We need to let the others know what we found, and decide what to do next.”

The castaways quickly determined that their first priority should be setting up camp and shelter. It went without saying that the local fauna would definitely bear warding against, but there was also the stifling heat that only increased as the day went on. There would be no practical way to be fully armored and burdened, slogging around in that humid furnace all day. It would make more sense to rest during the hottest parts of the day, and confine any exploration they intended to do to the early morning and evening hours. Then there were the bugs: flying, crawling, biting, and stinging creatures ranging in size from all but invisible to as big as a man’s hand. Fortunately, with the rations they’d recovered from the Jenivere, food wouldn’t be an issue for a couple of days. In the same vein, Agnar knew a minor cantrip that allowed him to purify water, so with a whole ocean of it at their doorstep, they wouldn’t go thirsty. In addition to the first mate’s body, they also found a fair cache of useful material in the supply room, including some mosquito netting, oil, lanterns and shovels. None of them hoped they’d be on the island long term, but if it came down to it, they were as prepared as any could be.

Most of the rest of the day was spent assigning duties and preparing the campsite, and when evening came, they were all thoroughly exhausted.
“I could really use a drink about now,” Aerys groaned as she stretched her back. It was the second time that day that she made such a request, Arioch noted.
“You’re in luck,” he said as he produced the bottle of brandy they’d found in the captain’s cabin.
Aery’s eyes lit up hungrily. She reached for the bottle, her hand only trembling slightly.
“Join me?” she asked the summoner.
“Don’t mind if I do,” he said.
Aerys took a deep swig, wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, and sighed deeply. She passed the bottle back to Arioch and stared into the campfire flames for a long time.
“Can I tell you something?” she asked at length.
The half-orc shrugged. “I don’t see why not. We are stranded together on a desert island, after all.”
Aerys allowed herself a half smile. “You see I…have something of a problem. This,” she motioned towards the brandy. “Seems like I can’t, um, be without it, you know?”
“You’re saying you’re an alcoholic?” Arioch asked in a neutral tone. “I would say you’re in a bad situation to have such an affliction.”
“Tell me about it,” she laughed. “Still, I would like to do something about it. I’ve wanted to for a long time, and now it seems I don’t have much choice. But cold turkey?” She shivered. “I’m not looking forward to that. I’ve heard about a rare tropical plant, viper nettles I think they’re called. Might be there’re some on this island. Think you could keep an eye out for some for me?”
Arioch pursed his lips in thought.
“Tell you what,” he said. “I’ll do you one better.”
He fished a small vial out of his pocket.
“Found this on board the ship while we were searching. Thought it might be
useful, what with all the bugs and such around. It’s a potion. It can cure diseases.”
“So?” Aerys said, looking confused.
“So,” Arioch continued, “you may not realize it, but your…addiction…is actually a disease, not a moral weakness as you probably thought.”
“Really?” she asked. “Are you sure?”
“What’ve you got to lose?” he shrugged.
Aery’s smile broadened as she took the vial from him and drank it down.

“I notice you didn’t exactly break a sweat today while the rest of us where working,” Nessalin snapped at Gelik.
The young magus was hot, tired and hungry, and the little dandy’s impeccably clean clothes were irritating him immensely.
“I figured that you were sweating enough like a pig for both of us,” the gnome quipped. “Why should two of us wallow in ignominy?”
Lyrissa smirked. “I doubt our little sailor boy knows what ‘ignominy’ means.”
“Oh yes,” Gelik chuckled, “I forgot we were among lay folk. Shall I elucidate?”
“Allow me to enlighten you, you smarmy little prig!” Nessalin snarled. “I can tell you horror stories of your so-called First World that would curl your pointed ears! I’m certain you’ve heard of the fall of Queen Nyrissa?”
Gelik’s face grew pale. “You…you shouldn’t speak of such…,”
“If you don’t get your purple-haired ass in motion tomorrow and start pitching in around here,” Nessalin continued, “you’ll wish your people had never left that land of wisps and faeries behind!”
Gelik gulped as he rose from his seat. His eyes were round as he scuffled off across the camp.
“A little hard on him, weren’t you?” Lyrissa asked.
Nessalin didn’t answer. ‘Trust no one,’ he thought.

“And that,” Sasha laughed, “is how I single-handedly took down four Korvosan Grey Maidens!”
Jack shook his head in disbelief. “I’ve heard some pretty incredible stories
about agents of the Red Mantis before, but that one takes the cake!”
Sasha instantly grew quiet, her eyes narrowed.
“I’m no Red Mantis,” she said bitterly.
“Oh,” Jack stammered. “I’m sorry…I just thought…,”
“Never mind,” Sasha brushed it aside, an easy smile returning to her lips. “Just a little touchy about my past I guess. My mother…now there is a true assassin of the Mantis. Ruthless bitch. Guess I was a little too wild for her and all of those strict matriarchs in Ilizmagorti. Her sending me to Eleder to look after Red Mantis ‘interests’ wasn’t exactly exile, I guess, but she made it clear what would happen to me if I ever returned home.”
“I’m sorry,” Jack said. “I didn’t know.”
“How could you?” Sasha slapped him on the shoulder. “Water under the bridge now. Hells, we’ll all be lucky just to get off of this rock, much less any of us see our homes again, right?”
“I guess,” Jack said. “Say, in any of your travelling, you’ve never come across a pirate named One-Eyed Clyde, have you?”
“Don’t think so,” Sasha mumbled around a mouthful of hard tack. “Did you notice those flying lizards moving around in the trees today?” she asked, going off on another tangent.
“Umm, no,” Jack shook his head.
“Hmmm,” the girl mused. “I sure would like to catch me one of those…,”

“So what do you think his story is?” Zavasta asked, jerking his thumb towards the prisoner.
None of the survivors knew the man’s real name. He was Garundi, that much was obvious, and his best days were certainly behind him. His matted hair was graying, and he was dressed in tattered rags, with his wrists shackled
behind his back. He’d boarded the Jenivere in Corentyn, or rather he’d been brought on board there. A Sargavan agent had handed him over to Captain Kovack with instructions to return him to Sargava for trial. The captain hadn’t said anything more about the matter to the passengers or the crew.
Agnar shrugged. “I suppose when he dies of starvation I can always reanimate him.”
“That’s hardly sporting, now is it?” Lyrissa asked as she walked up out of the darkness.
“And we’re not killing one of our own,” Arioch added as he joined her. “We need all the help we can get right now.”
“Who said anything about killing him?” Agnar asked. “I said let him die.”
“We’re not doing that either,” the summoner said tightly.
“Yeah? And who are you to judge?” Zavasta snapped. “You and your devil-worshipping buddies don’t seem to have any problem sacrificing slaves when it serves your purposes.”
“You’re mistaken,” Arioch replied. “My order does not practice human sacrifice.”
“Whatever you say, Hellknight,” the alchemist snorted. “You just keep your distance from me, if you know what’s good for you.”
“All I’m suggesting,” Arioch said, “is that we give this man a fair chance.”
He turned towards the prisoner.
“What’s your name?”
“Jask,” the prisoner said in a dry, husky voice. “Jask Derindi.”
“Well Mr. Derindi,” Arioch said, “why don’t you give us a reason to let you live?”
“Do you think I could have some water before I plead for my life?” Jask asked.
Arioch passed him a flask of water, which he drank greedily.
“Thank you,” he said. “Well, for starters, I’m not guilty of the crime of which I’ve been accused.”
“Spoken like a true criminal,” Agnar laughed.
Jask shrugged. “It’s true. You can believe it or not. I was once employed by the Sargavan government, but I was too smart for my own good. In my investigations into local corruption, I found evidence of my superior’s illicit dealings with the Free Captains. When I confronted him, he had me framed for the crime. I fled Sargava, all the way to Corentyn. I lived a modest life there as a scribe for over a decade before they caught up to me. So here I am.”
Arioch nodded. “Sounds plausible to me. Sargavans aren’t known for their scruples.”
“Bah, do what you want with him,” Agnar waved his hand. “I’m sure there will be a lot more corpses for me to choose from before all of this is over.”

Much later in the evening, as Arioch prepared to try and get some rest, he was surprised to find the old Tienese man standing over him.
“Something I can help you with, friend?” he asked.
“Ishirou,” the old-timer said.
“Pardon?” Arioch asked again.
“My name…Ishirou,” the man replied.
“Charmed,” the summoner said. “What do you need?”
“The woman,” Ishirou nodded towards where Aerys had already bedded down for the night. “She you friend?”
“As much as any of us are friends out here,” Arioch shrugged.
“Huh,” Ishirou grunted, and then turned and walked away.

The next morning, as they packed up their camp, the survivors came to a decision to stick to the coastline in their initial explorations. There was a well-known tale of a group of colonists that tried to settle Smuggler’s Shiv many years past. They were never found nor heard from. The castaways reasoned that such a group would likely have placed their settlement on the coast, and that fact guided their decision. Perhaps they would find some clue as to what became of the lost colony.

Gelik remained sullen and uncommunicative throughout the day, and showed no inclination to assist the others in any way. Consequently, Nessalin refused the gnome food whenever the group stopped to rest. By contrast, as the day wore on towards evening again, Ishirou and Aerys found they had something
in common…a love of the sea. He told her how he’d grown up on his father’s ship as a child, but when the ship burned and his father died in the fire, he’d run away and hidden on board an Aspis Consortium ship bound for Bloodcove. He’d served the Consortium from then until now, when he’d finally worked off his debt to them. He’d hoped to come to Sargava to start a new life. He certainly hadn’t planned on his current situation, however. Still, he confided to Aerys that he was not entirely unhappy about their predicament. He’d acquired many maps over the course of his voyages, some supposedly leading to hidden treasures. As it so happened, one of those treasures was rumored to be buried on Smuggler’s Shiv.

That night when they camped, Nessalin had a dream. More a nightmare, really. He was back aboard the Jenivere, bent over the railing being seasick. After his latest bout of retching, he slumped back and saw the rest of the passengers and crew on the deck as well, all of them sick save for the captain and the quiet Varisian scholar, Ieana. She whispered in the captain’s ear, then gave him a kiss on the cheek. At that point the captain held up a wooden soup spoon, and Nessalin realized that he was holding one as well. In fact, everyone had a spoon. The ship was sinking, and the only way to stop it was to bail out the hold with the spoon! He worked feverishly, but the waters kept rushing in. Just before he awoke, he could see monstrous things with pincers in the water trying to claw their way into the ship…
He woke with a start, unsure whether or not he’d cried out in his sleep. He lay staring up at the stars, listening to the jungle noises all around. It was then that he heard the sound of large wings flapping by in the darkness overhead…

The following day was more of the same…oppressive heat broken only by a brief, mid-day shower, and endless hours of walking, searching, yet finding nothing. The monotony of the day was broken, however, sometime around mid-afternoon. A high-pitched shriek pierced the air as one of Sasha’s ‘flying lizards’ swooped down from a nearby tree. It was a brightly colored creature with an overly large head, a mouth full of sharp teeth, and bright, shiny eyes. It shrieked once more, lashed its long thin tail, then folded its leathery wings and dove at the group.
“Don’t kill it!” Sasha shouted as Arioch opened one of his portals in the air and a screeching eagle flew through.
“What?” the summoner asked. “Are you crazy?”
“I want it!” the girl shouted petulantly.
“Too late now,” Arioch shrugged.
It was indeed too late…for Arioch’s summoned pet. The eagle flew towards the pterosaur, which caught the bird in its jaws in mid-air. As it clamped its teeth down on the eagle’s neck, the bird simply vanished, returned to the realm from which it was called.
“Hah!” Sasha laughed, clapping her hands in excitement.
“Gorak kill funny bird,” the hulking barbarian growled as he hefted his massive blade.
“No!” Sasha cried as the pterosaur swooped down and the half-orc prepared to strike it down.
Just as Gorak’s blade began to swing, however, Jack leaped in front of him. He rolled nimbly beneath the swing and came up with his own sword in motion, slamming the flat of blade into the pterosaur’s head. It dropped to the ground like a stone, stunned. Quickly, Jack stuffed it neatly into a sack and tied the mouth shut.
“My lady,” he sketched an exaggerated bow as he presented it to Sasha.
“I’m going to name him Polly!” she exclaimed, grinning like a school-girl.

As the castaways prepared to make camp again for the night, Nessalin noticed Gelik surreptitiously gathering wood for the fire. The gnome had gone a second day without food.
“Glad to see you get with the program,” the magus sneered, but he tossed some of his rations to the little man anyway. Gelik devoured it in less than a minute.

Later that night, it was Zavasta’s turn to dream. In it, he was sitting down in the galley aboard the Jenivere, getting ready for his meal. The ship’s cook had given him a steaming bowl of soup, but Zav dropped his spoon. He saw that the deck below was covered with sea water up to his ankles, and his dropped spoon had sunk into the water and washed out to sea through a hole. He was forced to lift his delicious bowl of soup to his lips and drink. Something big went into his mouth as he did so, and he felt a sharp bite on his tongue. He dropped the bowl, only to reveal a serpent had hidden in his soup, and now dangled from his tongue as it chewed furiously. He started awake, biting his own tongue in an attempt to bite through the dream snake’s body. As he looked around in confusion, he saw another pair of eyes staring vacantly back at him from just a few feet away. It was a monkey, very obviously dead, and drained entirely of blood…

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases