Tabletop Projection

almeidafreak

Explorer
Hey guys!

I've been on the mood to acquire a small projector to enhance the gameplay experience, but budget's a little tight right now. I've seen a couple "mini projectors" on e-bay, and some of them can make a image up to 6 foot, and I think that's more than enough.

But I am at loss which one to pick, and there are some really juicy prices on them.

I also thought about getting the mini one because it'd be easier to hang somewhere.

Anyone got experience on that field that could give me some tips?

Thanks a lot!

Oryan77

Adventurer
Check out this thread and post your question to it. You'll get a quick response I'm sure.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/122099-coolest-gaming-set-up-evar.html

Times are changing though. :D It is no longer the way of the projector. Instead, invest in a flat panel LCD TV, lay it flat, get some plexiglass to sit on top so minis don't touch the screen, and yer all set. You might rig up some sort of system to allow fans to blow underneath the tv to keep it cool (just in case). You also don't even need to use minis if you just want to use something like Maptool with tokens.

LCD tvs are getting cheap enough now that they are the same price or better than a projector. You also don't have to deal with mounting a projector, dimming the lights, or players casting shadows when leaning over the map. Plus the image quality will be better than a projector.

falcarrion

First Post
you need a projector with a high lumens output. Those small projectors have low lumens out put. Get at lest 2200 or higher.
Lcd or led are a better bet. with a LCD you can buy an overlay making it multitouch.

falcarrion

First Post
Here's what I do: OnlineDM's portable projector rig

As for the projector itself: OnlineDM's projector

These posts are from about a year ago, when I first started using my projector setup. I use it 1-3 times per week now and am completely happy with it.

OnlineDm,
Glad to hear that your setup is still going strong. I recently set mine up with a wireless vga reciever. One less cable to worry about...lol
I had the vga transmitter connected to an Ipad case which is connected to a tripod. I also have a battery pack connected to the transmitter. I can then walk around the whole table with this setup without worring about cords being connected to it.
I'll be changing this once IOS5 comes out. I'll just replace the vga reciever and transmitter with a apple tv box. since you will be able to mirror the Ipad2 directly to the apple tv box.

D'karr

Adventurer
Hey all, thanks a lot fro replying!

As said, I'm a bit on a low budget now. This one caught my eye:

http://www.pureprojectors.com/projectors/manufacturers/pos/innoio_innocube_ ic100

It is 15 lumens though, so I was wondering how dark would the room have to be so I could achieve a playable image. Cause if the room is too dark we won't be able to read our own character sheets!

Underdark dark. 15 lumens is just a tad more than what one candle would put out. I believe a candle is 12.5 lumens.

almeidafreak

Explorer
Jeez, that REALLY won't do, then...

But that's weird all over, because these "pico" projectors are meant to be used on small conferences and stuff, which usually don't take place in blackout enviroments (at least the one's this lawier has been to).

If what D'karr is really correct, this kinda projector will only do for diplaying movies to unknown cave species of human beings! :D

BriarMonkey

First Post
Be aware of the resolution of the image it projects in addition to the lumens.

The IC 100 does 640x480, which won't scale well. The bigger the displayed image, the more pixelation you will get. If you have a hard time imagining it, change the resolution on your current computer to 640x480 and see what it looks like - you probably won't be happy.

Remove ads