[LPF] The Mightiest Weapon

Qik

First Post
Quioan is slightly ruffled by the gnome's question. "I've been practicing the art of scribing for nearly 100 years, good sir...I know quality ink when I see it." Realizing that the gnome's question is likely not an affront on his powers of perception, he leans in and gestures towards the glass, adding, "As you can see, the residue has been mostly burnt off, but around this edge, it's been well preserved, enough to be identifiable as ink. The fact that it survived such a temperature at all points to its significant level of craftsmanship."

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Kazanto looks around the scribe's place with awe. She turns to Relic. "Wait, so let me get this straight. You take plants--these 'tree' things that are everywhere, squish them really flat, then you take octopus, squish it out, and put the octopus squish on the tree squish? And it doesn't just all wash away? Oh, right, it's all so dry here, nothing washes away."

jbear

First Post
OOC: Daylily is my Tyler Durden. He has the ability to let that which does not matter ... truly slide.

The title is a clue, my dear Watson, but I don't think you've gotten ALL of the clue yet. Besides, working off the title is meta-gaming. The motive itself is there in the in-game stuff and a bit of real world historical knowledge. The question now is who had that motive, and I see two good general possibilities, but there may be others depending on LPF technology and politics.

P.S. If I'm right, it's a f#$^ing awesome title, DT. It's a dead giveaway, but only after you figure everything else out. Well done.
[sblock=OOC] I can see what you're saying. I've edited above to lessen that impression. I think Relic expresses his thoughts more clearly now but his master (me) can still express himself with a little tongue in cheek without metagaming as much. Still though, I repeat, I don't have it clear yet. [/sblock]

"That is fairly close to what happens, indeed Kazanto. We call the tree squish, paper. Indeed it only holds together because of the dry. Water quickly makes it tree squish again. As for octopus squish, if you mean ink, well, perhaps good Mr Stilwell can explain the process involved in ink making and then explain to us what he believes is on that piece of glass we found with other destroyed items in our cruelly murdered friend's fireplace, and if and how it is different or special, if that is the case as Master Scorchsong suggests. Then we might put our heads together and wrestle out a why someone might want such a thing destroyed."

Relic takes a seat and awaits the gnome's deliberation.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Stillwell is quite impressed. "I did not mean any offense, but I do not always run into a fellow expert on the manufacturing of literary tools. I wanted to be sure that one of you had discovered the origins of the residue, and not some learned sage for hire. As for your questions about ink, there are many types of ways to go about making the material. Usually you need something that stains and also flows at a steady pace, so that the tip of your pen will both hold the ink and not drip too fast as you write. Most of the materials that are used in the creation of ink are often edible, such as squeezed blackberry juice. Some of the same materials that go into everyday items, such as honey or clothing dye can be used also for ink. As for the ink you have brought, I am very familiar with it. You see, I made it. It was a contract job for Mr. Frickard. He came here and sought me out. He wanted a special ink, one that would be thinner and flow faster. I told him such an ink would blot, but he laughed and told me to wait and see his newest invention before I made judgements. The ink was for the invention, you see. He was so excited, which usually meant that he was close to unveiling his creation. I knew the man well enough to know he was close. And to think that I had a hand in the events that led to his death."

Something about what Relic says effects the man further. Mr. Stillwell's voice trails off and he appears visibly upset as he shakily removes his glasses and rubs his temples. "He said his new invention was going to change everything. He said he wasn't going to even charge for it, but simply spread the designs for its manufacturing to whoever asked. He said it was going to be his greatest invention, and his gift to the world."

OOC: Relic, make a Diplomacy check to see if your words bring forth more.

Systole

First Post
"Op-co-tus?" Daylily asks, peering at whatever piqued the merwoman's interest. He pokes at a rather ripe-smelling bit protruding from one of the presses, then picks it up and pops it into his mouth. He chews thoughtfully for a moment. After consideration, he shrugs. "Is okay tasty enoughs," he announces, taking a handful of tentacles to snack on while the rest of the group is talking.

EDIT:
OOC: Ha! I knew it!

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
"Hmm, give it away?"

The mermaid turns over to Gadral. "I'm not into business, but that doesn't sound like it makes much profit. There's probably something I don't understand. How does that work?"

Qik

First Post
Quioan collects himself a bit. "My apologies, Mr. Stillwell, for being perhaps overly defensive. I tend to pride myself on my...academic capabilities. That pride gets the better of me at times." At the rest of the gnome's comments, Quioan sits back and waits for the other, more diplomatic members of the group to hopefully coax some more information out of the man.

jbear

First Post
Relic furrows his brow in thought and says softly:

"Please, go on Mr Stillwell"

OOC: Sigh ... must have breakfast stuck in his beard or dead rat in his teeth ... dang it!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
It's Kazanto who convinces Mr. Stillwell to speak further.

"Ah, and now you get to the heart of the issue. Who would kill Mr. Frickard for wanting to give something away? The merchants? Certainly not! They could contract someone to create many copies of his new invention and sell them far and wide. The artisans? They may have not liked Frickard for his independence, but none ever sought to hurt the man. In fact, they respected his talents and wanted him to join their ranks."

"But I know for a fact that Mr. Stillwell wasn't liked by certain movers and shakers of society. In my line of work I sometimes find myself invited to the same social gatherings as Mr. Frickard had along with other successful men and women."

"Ten years ago Mr. Frickard first earned a good deal of wealth by inventing the simple lightning rod we now take for granted. Building fires from lightning strikes went down, as many purchased his invention. But he made the wizards who claimed that lightning came from invading elemental planes look ignorant."

"More than five years ago he created a cheaper and more efficient plow for farming, an invention that made him even richer. The local foundries and farmers who purchased the rights to the design from him also greatly profited. But older, stagnant foundries owned by richer merchants and entrenched nobility could not adjust as quickly and took severe financial losses."

"Three years ago he theorized that illnesses were transmitted through different mediums, and that cleanliness and rest were better antidotes than bleeding from leeches. He conducted experiments that showed he was correct, and the Leechers Guild, who already was fading out to divine healing, was abolished."

"Two years ago he was laughed at again when he theorized that light was a natural phenomenon. The priests insisted that light came from divine sources. Frickard showed up to a social hosted by a respected priestess with a piece of glass he called a prism. With it, he bent the light into a ribbon of new colors. The implications of this are still the subject of angry arguments."

"Last year he suggested that both divine and arcane magic was just science that had yet to be discovered, a charge that should have drew laughter but instead drew nervous defense from the temples and arcane schools. He also said that once such knowledge was properly understood, even the basest peasant would be able to conduct daily cantrips."

"To the general population, Mr. Frickard was a hero of sorts. But to others it was clear that the man had become dangerous and had begun to effect the natural order. So don't go looking for guildsmen. Look for someone who felt they had much more to lose with him alive then dead. There are plenty of people who had reasons for wanting Frickard out of the picture."

"Well, I've taken up enough of your time. Please keep this conversation off the record, but take the insight back to the Guilds. I think with the evidence you found it is clear that someone murdered the man to destroy his work for they feared its financial impact. If it was someone who wanted to have what he had, they would have stolen from Frickard after they had killed him. I believe your case is closed. Further investigations might lead you down roads in which you and your employers may later have regret."

"But, if for some illogical reason you decide to continue, then I would suggest talking with Lord Wisten Feador at the Feador Farm and estate. It was Lord Feador who was giving Callery Frickard advice in regards to the new invention, and the lord may know more about who he was talking with before his death."

OOC:
50 XP to Kazanto for finding out a possible motive for the killing. The party now has the motive and the evidence, but still needs a suspect if they wish to continue the investigation.

Also, Quioan can now add Stillwell as a contact, since his knowledge impressed the man. Bren Stillwell is a gnome who can provide local nobility and merchant news.

Systole

First Post
In spite of himself, Daylily is impressed. "I was not understand most of that, but I was hear that dead man makings civilized peoples nervous ... that dead man was keep moving the comfortable places for civilized peoples."

He chews thoughtfully on a greenish tentacle while he considers this. After a moment, he appears to reach a decision. "Okay, I likes Frickards. We are to avenging him good. But to geese huntings now, yes?" He swallows the bit of octopus, then pops another in. "Will be good to having more than snack."

Remove ads