Pathfinder 1E Paizo Announcement and Prognostication

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/221881-paizo-annoucement.html

Quite a discussion that was when Paizo made their official announcement regarding the Pathfinder game. Lots of predictions, lots of first impressions.

So, three and a half years on, how well did you do? Have your impressions changed? Any further predictions?

EDIT: Oh, and does anybody have a picture or video of thatdarnedbob eating the sock?

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
I may not have posted in that thread it appears. I'm a little surprised by that.

But, I know I was wrong.

I predicted PF would do well. I wasn't in the ballpark of how well they have actually done.

Edit: Found my post. :) Yep, I was a cheerleader from day 1 and my predictions look very short of the mark now... :)

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Is Paizo still around?

Whatever happened to D&D?

Two (Three?) years and multiple ENnie's later including NINE this year alone I think that Paizo is doing fine, better than fine in fact. (I know you were kidding DaveMage...)

Man, reading that thread and seeing the pro 4E crowd predicting the end of Paizo and the pure FAIL of Pathfinder is like comedy gold. Especially seeing how things have actually turned out.

I've never regretted my decision to support Paizo and Pathfinder. I'll go as far to say that if not for them I'd have probably given up on tabletop RPG's altogether after 25+ years. I've had a pretty consistent gaming group for the past two years and have had lots of fun. Thanks Paizo.

I always thought that Pathfinder would do well. d20 is a proven system that people have been familiar with for a decade. The d20 fanbase was already well established and there is tons of 3rd party support out there. Just check out how many publishers are "converting" their old d20 stuff to the "new" Pathfinder system. Also, how many 3rd edition players bought Pathfinder just to replace their old core rulebooks. I know I bought mine when 3rd edition first came out and there isn't a cover left on any of them.

With all that to consider, it would be foolish to think that Pathfinder would do poorly.

4E was a much bigger risk. It is a brand new system, no existing fan base (the D&D brand name isn't that powerful by itself) and much less 3rd party support.

Both product lines have excellent production values. Overall, I think that the Pathfinder vs 4E "rivalry" will be a great boon to the hobby on the whole. After all, gamers aren't monogamous by nature. I myself still play 3rd edition on occassion even though I do like 4E a lot. Being spoiled for choice is good in my opinion.

BryonD

Hero
no existing fan base (the D&D brand name isn't that powerful by itself) and much less 3rd party support.
There is nothing in all of tabletop RPGs that has as much power as the D&D Brand Name. The next three things added up don't match it.

And the 3rd party thing was WotC's doing. 3PPs were begging for a better option. (key word: "were")

I'm pretty pro-pathfinder and I think it's kinda ghoulish to take pleasure in the wrongness of the 4e supporters.

I am glad that Pathfinder is doing very, very well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Aberzanzorax is correct. Not only is it ghoulish, it is edition warring, and treated accordingly.

If folks are going to use this as an opportunity to "rub peoples face in it", or otherwise continue to perpetuate the wrongs of old, we can shut the thread down right now.

Anyone who posts like that loses all claim that it is THEM who are the source of acrimony. Set it aside yourself, or you are an equal part of the problem.

As ever, the Golden Rule applies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases