D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 vs. Pathfinder

enrious

Oh, that reminded me - to the best of my knowledge the various revisions of the Pathfinder beta/playtest are still available from Paizo and obviously has some changes that were made/not made in the final revision.

That's something else you could look in to perhaps glean an idea or two.

Also, ymmv ( :D ) but thanks to archetypes, prestige classes are one of the last things I'd bother looking at in Pathfinder.

Obviously your experience may differ and PrCs have a lot going for 'em, but once APG hit, they went to the wayside for a lot of groups.

Arrowhawk

First Post
But my point is that it was disingenuous to say that the change was done "for no reason".

In fact, take a look at the rest of his criticisms in that paragraph and you realize that looking over all the changes listed, Pathfinder had a coherent reason to make those changes (the wisdom of them is open for debate and I disagree with some of them), but it's not like they were made after too many late-night Taco Bell runs.

When my group started our 3.5 campaign, someone suggested we look at PF. The motivation rested in how Paizo was advertising PF. It talked about changes made based on 100 of hours of playtesting. One is led to believe PF "fixes" all the things that were oversights in 3.5 and that WotC never got around to fixing.

Ask yourself why is Frank driven to uses this tone and why do so many in the thread agree with him? Why is he so disallusioned with what Paizo did to the d20 SRD? Sure, Trollman is biased, but it still repesents a data point.

Perhaps what Frank is really upset about is that Paizo promised somethiings: Fixes, compatability, etc. And in Frank's opinion they didn't deliver. I think Frank represents the backlash Paizo got from making promises in order to sell their product and not following through on them (in the eyes of many).

I've read through the PFSRD. I realized something about D&D and all other RPG's, that I said in another post. Ultimately, You really can't improve games...you can only change them. So I have to agree with your questions:

I think the real issue is whether or not there's a compelling reason for a group to switch to it...
And I think that's a subjective decision everyone makes for themselves.

enrious

When my group started our 3.5 campaign, someone suggested we look at PF. The motivation rested in how Paizo was advertising PF. It talked about changes made based on 100 of hours of playtesting. One is led to believe PF "fixes" all the things that were oversights in 3.5 and that WotC never got around to fixing.

Ask yourself why is Frank driven to uses this tone and why do so many in the thread agree with him? Why is he so disallusioned with what Paizo did to the d20 SRD? Sure, Trollman is biased, but it still repesents a data point.

Perhaps what Frank is really upset about is that Paizo promised somethiings: Fixes, compatability, etc. And in Frank's opinion they didn't deliver. I think Frank represents the backlash Paizo got from making promises in order to sell their product and not following through on them (in the eyes of many).

Yeah, I was around for all that and I can understand the feelings towards Paizo, but to me that should be separate from the actual product.

Now that you mention it, his review seemed more like a review of Paizo than of Pathfinder, which makes it suddenly make sense.

In any event from the outset they placed their #1 priority on backwards compatibility, regardless of how well a given person thinks they achieved it, it indicated that the apple wasn't going to fall very fall from the tree.

For better or worse.

I personally was more inclined to run with Trailblazer because at the time the pdf was $10 (I think - just checked and it's $5 - honestly, if you play Pathfinder *or* 3.x, you owe it to yourself to buy this and read it) and it seemed like a good fix of my issues. However, everyone else wanted go with Pathfinder and y'know, as far as I'm concerned, 3.x is 3.x.

I've read through the PFSRD. I realized something about D&D and all other RPG's, that I said in another post. Ultimately, You really can't improve games...you can only change them. So I have to agree with your questions:

Hmm, I think you've said it better than I have in this thread. You are Abraham Lincoln to my Edward Everett, it seems.

And I think that's a subjective decision everyone makes for themselves.

I dream of a day where there's one D&D forum here, not one for 4e, one for Pathfinder, and one for all others.

Yeah, I know. Not very realistic.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As the one who posted the review, I feel I should add that I don't agree with all of it. Hardly. Overall I just find it pretty accurate.

I don't think Power Attack was nerfed. Sure, against something with woeful AC your level 20 Fighter can't go and take -20 to hit for +40 damage anymore. But being able to make the trade of -6 attack for +18 damage is a way better deal 99% of the time! My only issue is not letting the player choose how much penalty to take. I'd seldom want to reduce my chance to hit by 30% for 18 damage at level 20, if ever. If I could just take a -2 or whatever, that'd be great, but the feat shoehorns you into all or nothing.

I don't get his anti-archer screed. Archers hard core super duper sucked in 3E, especially 3.5 (which either nerfed [Order of the Bow Initiate] or "forgot to update" [Deepwood Sniper; Peerless Archer] all the useful archer PrCs), and i consider making archery viable to be one of PF's greatest accomplishments. Of course, they then screwed the pooch with the Step Up feat, which casters can overcome with an easy Concentration check but archers have no answer for. Then they 80% redeemed themselves with Point Blank Master in APG, except it required higher level and was only available to Fighter, Ranger, and Zen Archer Monk, and the Close Quarters Thrower feat in UC, which anyone can grab, though also at a later level. But now I'm getting sidetracked...

He says Polymorph isn't fixed yet. It's fixed in the sense that it's tremendously nerfed from 3E. It's still a pretty big mess and Paizo's solution to it is really nonsensical.

Just some of my views. I do like the skill system overall, I would have merged and split up the skills differently (Perception is WAY too good) and the way it turned out leaves Bards and especially Rogues seemingly without much of a purpose. In 3E, they could be the "skilled guy" and have maxed out ranks in lots of stuff others simply couldn't. Sure, the Sorc had a charisma score 10 higher, but the Rogue was still better at UMD. And so forth. The new skill rules severely undercut those class's niche protection, and Paizo seems to either have not realized this would happen or simply didn't care.

enrious

As the one who posted the review, I feel I should add that I don't agree with all of it. Hardly. Overall I just find it pretty accurate.

I don't think Power Attack was nerfed. Sure, against something with woeful AC your level 20 Fighter can't go and take -20 to hit for +40 damage anymore. But being able to make the trade of -6 attack for +18 damage is a way better deal 99% of the time! My only issue is not letting the player choose how much penalty to take. I'd seldom want to reduce my chance to hit by 30% for 18 damage at level 20, if ever. If I could just take a -2 or whatever, that'd be great, but the feat shoehorns you into all or nothing.

I think from my perspective (I too prefer to figure out my own penalty/bonus) is that in play, I saw way too many cases where people aren't as fast/good as I/others are at doing the calculating, especially when the onus was on them because it was their turn. Thus, they'd take the feat because it was expected of them but they'd almost never use it. And the few times they did, things came to a stop while they weighed options, calculated the numbers, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen just about everyone who takes it use it in just about every combat because the numbers are easy and there's only one decision (to use or not use it) rather than two (that plus how much) - thus, I'd say it's better than before, because the best feat in the world that is never used is worse than a mediocre one that's used most of the time.

At least in my experience...as a player, I used it a lot in 3.5, but as a DM, whatever makes my players happy makes me happy. As long as one of he PCs is sacrificed.

I don't get his anti-archer screed. Archers hard core super duper sucked in 3E, especially 3.5 (which either nerfed [Order of the Bow Initiate] or "forgot to update" [Deepwood Sniper; Peerless Archer] all the useful archer PrCs), and i consider making archery viable to be one of PF's greatest accomplishments. Of course, they then screwed the pooch with the Step Up feat, which casters can overcome with an easy Concentration check but archers have no answer for. Then they 80% redeemed themselves with Point Blank Master in APG, except it required higher level and was only available to Fighter, Ranger, and Zen Archer Monk, and the Close Quarters Thrower feat in UC, which anyone can grab, though also at a later level. But now I'm getting sidetracked...

Heh, get outta my head :)

He says Polymorph isn't fixed yet. It's fixed in the sense that it's tremendously nerfed from 3E. It's still a pretty big mess and Paizo's solution to it is really nonsensical.

I've been waiting for something like 11 years to see a "fixed" version of polymorph.

I suspect I'll be waiting another 11.

Just some of my views. I do like the skill system overall, I would have merged and split up the skills differently (Perception is WAY too good) and the way it turned out leaves Bards and especially Rogues seemingly without much of a purpose. In 3E, they could be the "skilled guy" and have maxed out ranks in lots of stuff others simply couldn't. Sure, the Sorc had a charisma score 10 higher, but the Rogue was still better at UMD. And so forth. The new skill rules severely undercut those class's niche protection, and Paizo seems to either have not realized this would happen or simply didn't care.

Yeah, I wish spot+listen had been notice and search remained separate and I agree about bards/rogues - especially with UC, ninjas are better rogues than rogues.

And in my games, I've had to institute some niche protections which frankly should be in the books.

What's funny to me, speaking of that review, is that I think at lot of the tone is misplaced with how the core rulebook playtest went down (because of the announced playtest goals).

Given how the public playtests for firearms (there was none), the gunslinger (blah blah blah not listening), ninja & samurai (our way or the highway) turned out, now that tone is more appropriate than ever, IMO.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think from my perspective (I too prefer to figure out my own penalty/bonus) is that in play, I saw way too many cases where people aren't as fast/good as I/others are at doing the calculating, especially when the onus was on them because it was their turn. Thus, they'd take the feat because it was expected of them but they'd almost never use it. And the few times they did, things came to a stop while they weighed options, calculated the numbers, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen just about everyone who takes it use it in just about every combat because the numbers are easy and there's only one decision (to use or not use it) rather than two (that plus how much) - thus, I'd say it's better than before, because the best feat in the world that is never used is worse than a mediocre one that's used most of the time.

At least in my experience...as a player, I used it a lot in 3.5, but as a DM, whatever makes my players happy makes me happy. As long as one of he PCs is sacrificed.

I'd rather it just let you choose, and anyone who forgets to say what amount is being used before making the attack roll uses the minimum. Or the maximum. I really don't care. Just give the option for those who want it. It's at most adding to 6 and multiplying by 3 now, it really shouldn't be that daunting.

I've been waiting for something like 11 years to see a "fixed" version of polymorph.

I suspect I'll be waiting another 11.

I alway thought 3E Polymorph wasn't so bad (Alter Self, PAO, and Shapechange are too much, though), but I realize 99% of the world is against me on that one.

Yeah, I wish spot+listen had been notice and search remained separate and I agree about bards/rogues - especially with UC, ninjas are better rogues than rogues.

The playtest Ninja was better than Rogue. Not because it was overpowered. It was actually the most MAD class I've ever seen and even with high point buy still just a sneaky guy who sneak attacks for alright damage. The problem was how much the rogue, and especially his terribad "rogue talents" sucked. And they didn't learn their lesson. The new UC rogue talents are abysmal, to the point where the one that lets you hold your breath for +2 rounds actually made me roll around on the floor laughing. No, instead of trying to make rogue suck less, they nerfed the bejesus out of Ninja. Its tricks now no longer come with a free use, and several abilities went up in ki point cost. Which means you need even more charisma just to function. Which manages to make the class even MORE MAD. IMO, the final version of the Ninja is unplayable without a hilariously large point buy or godly rolls.

Search I think should be paired with something. I paired it with Sleight of Hand, re-flavoring it as a mostly tactile-based approach (like the 3E feat that made search dex-based). This is my current ideas for houseruling skills, if you want. It's unfinished.

[sblock]Acrobatics: Only contains Balance and Tumble. No longer a Barbarian class skill. Can be used to roll on a landing (DC 15) to reduce falling damage by 10 ft (you can still also jump down with the Athletics skill, also). Without 3 Acrobatics ranks, if you stand in an area that requires balance checks, you lose your dexterity and dodge bonuses to AC. Tumble DCs follow 3.5's rules (ie, base DC 15 and so forth, no relation to CMD).

Athletics: New strength-based skill, combines Climb and Jump. Class skill for Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue (and Ninja), Antipaladin, Cavalier (and Samurai), Inquisitor, and Magus. Any character that would gain Climb as a class skill (such as through domain or mystery, etc...) gains Athletics as a class skill.

Diplomacy: DCs need to be addressed...

Escape Artist: You can use your Escape Artist modifier +10 instead of CMD to avoid a grapple.

Fly: Anyone can take ranks in the skill, whether you have magical or natural flight, or no means of flight at all.

Knowledges: For creatures that have advanced forms or are advanced HD versions of the base creature, you learn basic information relevant to all creatures of that type if you make the DC for the weakest possible specimen, just nothing specific to the threat before you. For example, if you made the DC for a wyrmling Red Dragon when encountering an Adult, you may learn about the fire immunity, breath weapon, etc...

Perception: Now is "only" a combination of Spot and Listen and any other type of sensory reaction. Remains the best skill in the game, stop crying.

Sleight of Hand: Adding Search to its functions. Remains Dex-based. Elves (and Half-Elves) retain the racial perception bonus on search checks with this skill, since they had it in 3E. Renaming the skill, probably "Thievery" or similar.[/sblock]

And in my games, I've had to institute some niche protections which frankly should be in the books.

Definitely. My current ideas for Rogue houserules (among other things) are to just plain hand out free Skill Focuses like candy just so they can maintain an edge at their chosen best skills, or at least not fall behind so much. I'm still toying with the idea of a high level X/day type class feature to get the benefit of epic-level skill check results (as in the stuff from the Epic level Handbook, like Tumbling so well you can fall 10000 ft and be unharmed or escape artist your way through a wall of force, etc...).

What's funny to me, speaking of that review, is that I think at lot of the tone is misplaced with how the core rulebook playtest went down (because of the announced playtest goals).

Given how the public playtests for firearms (there was none), the gunslinger (blah blah blah not listening), ninja & samurai (our way or the highway) turned out, now that tone is more appropriate than ever, IMO.

True. They were very stubborn in the original playtesting, too though. I heard it took designers literally walking out of the room and threatening to quit the project to get Jason B to give up his assertion that Paladins should be an absolutely weak, horrific class because there's some sort of role-play value in that. I suppose listening in the end is better than never at all, but the situation still wasn't great way back when.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
I alway thought 3E Polymorph wasn't so bad (Alter Self, PAO, and Shapechange are too much, though), but I realize 99% of the world is against me on that one.
Here's my take: Alter Self and Polymorph are too strong for their level; PAO is broken because it's poorly written and does not function out of the box, which leads to it doing ridiculous things, and Shapechange is only balanced if you consider Time Stop, Gate, and etc to be an accurate representation of what 9th level spells should be like.

Remove ads