D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 vs. Pathfinder

Empirate

First Post
I'm the DM in a long-standing 3.5 campaign, but recently I took up playing under another DM in a new Pathfinder campaign. And you know what? The thing about backwards compatibility is totally true, and the many, many small rules changes, changes to individual spells, feats etc. are really getting on my nerves, rather than enhancing the game for me.

The new DM, good friend of mine, has DMed other games, but this is his first foray into D&D territory. Meaning, he needs a bit of rules adjudication help from time to time, which he asked me to provide. The Problem (capitalized) is that I'm not sure myself in many cases, or find myself tricked by one of the small changes in PF.

For example, I got totally thrown for a loop with how PF treats ability damage when it came up. I CAN'T EVEN HELP MY FRIEND AT A GAME I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR YEARS!!! This isn't compatibility. This is mere similarity, albeit very great similarity. And most of it seems to be change for the sake of changing in my opinion. Bardic Music uses per day were just FINE. Ability damage/drain/penalties worked FINE. There was absolutely no reason, be it flavor, game balance, simplicity of application, whatever, to change those - and many other things.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
- they nerfed cleave but recently introduced the old version a 'Cleaving Finish' in Ultimate Combat.

It should be noted, Cleaving Finish (aka, "3E Cleave") requires Cleave (the crappy PF one). So no one will ever be taking it, because paying two feats just for Cleave, while ironically perfectly fitting into PF's modus operandi of having an odd fetish for making perfectly balanced martial feats cost double, is simply not worth it.

I suppose they couldn't have just made it a stand-alone feat only requiring power attack like Cleave (PF version) does and leave it up to the player to decide which he prefers. The resulting number of people ditching their concept for the old would be pretty embarassing, wouldn't it?

For example, I got totally thrown for a loop with how PF treats ability damage when it came up. I CAN'T EVEN HELP MY FRIEND AT A GAME I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR YEARS!!! This isn't compatibility. This is mere similarity, albeit very great similarity. And most of it seems to be change for the sake of changing in my opinion. Bardic Music uses per day were just FINE. Ability damage/drain/penalties worked FINE. There was absolutely no reason, be it flavor, game balance, simplicity of application, whatever, to change those - and many other things.

Oh, I know! I get thrown off all the time by the changes! I still have no idea why they altered Mirror Image, all I know is, when you combine that spell with a twinked out AC now, you get an enemy that's frustratingly unhittable (the images have the caster's AC -5, not AC 10). Combine with the fact that they removed the line about once you hit the real guy, until the caster's next turn when he can again move and shift where the images are, you can point out to your friends where the real caster is. Because they outright took that line away and left it ambiguous, our DM ruled it was an intentional change. Long story short, we had the little bugger surrounded but it took us 3-4 rounds to land one actual hit on him, which we were unable to follow with a flurry of true hits, due to the rule change. When we finally got the images all destroyed, the DM was like, "You're going to hate me for this, but he's a mage and it IS smart to do..." and he...recast mirror image! The battle ended up taking almost 3 hours! Of some mage just standing there toe to toe with us! And it wasn't even because we finally felled him. He ran out of spells(!!!!) pwning us so hard and had to retreat!

Sorry, that was such an awful experience I had to rant on it. Another example of tiny changes throwing me off was a game last week. We got surprised by grapple no longer making someone lose dex to AC so the rogue could sneak attack. Then we got confused later on that apparently a grappled creature can still flank with a friend on hte opposite side of the foe. So when a legendary shark grappled our rogue, which should have been super bad for her, she fileted it for almost 200 damage instead. Later still, the Summoner was surprised to learn that in PF, claws do bludgeoning and piercing damage. Finally, I left an enemy nearly defenseless with Hideous Laughter and we decided to hog tie him for questioning. Took a fair while to figure out HOW to do that, with the Use Rope skill completely gone. This was all in one session, in a group that's been playing the game with PF rules for almost 2 years.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

I disagree. I think ability damage in PF is easier to deal with. I don't have to know what the original stat is (and whether it's even or odd to determine when the modifier decreases). Two points of damage and the modifier comes down. I believe that's an increase in the simplicity of application.

Bardic music - I'll give you that the rounds/day doesn't thrill me. Works very well for the barbarian though. I think the bardic music ability is a bit more abstract in application than the barbarian rage ability and could have stayed as a per day ability.

enrious

While I think there are problems in Pathfinder (I think all of us could come up with pages of them), just as in 3.x (I think all of us could come up with pages of them), we've found that on the whole it tends to work together - just like 3.x

Sure, we have issues of trying to remember that rule x changed, but that usually happens once, we make a note of it, and we move on with our lives. Funny thing is, that's exactly what happened when we switched from 3.0 to 3.5. We survived then too.

We have noticed some of the derided things make things move faster and smoother - the change to Power Attack for example, while numerically weaker than in 3.x results in it being used more and when it is used, it's almost an after thought. I know this may be shocking, but not everyone can instantly calculate the most perfect optimum number to subtract/add, so it tended to either not get used or the game'd come crashing to a halt when someone tried. Thus, under Pathfinder with set adjustments, it's enacted and that's that.

Cleave in Pathfinder is horrible. Great Cleave isn't that much better, to be sure. However, I can see the attraction for some players, because it isn't dependent on dropping the first foe as in 3.x, so if you have foes adjacent to each other, it can give lowbies an extra sort of attack. I wouldn't take it, but I also wouldn't say anything if someone else did.

As for a spell like Mirror Image, meh. If you're low-level, he can't cast it that often and if he's high-level, were you without area of effect weapons/spells/other such items that don't require an attack roll? The spell is what it is, in my experience removing the line about knowing it's him hasn't had all that much of an effect, but obviously your experience differed. I've read enough of your posts, Stream, to consider you a knowledgeable and experienced 3.x + Pathfinder guy, so please consider this curiosity/a request for more details as I'm trying to figure out why you had one experience and I had another and not as an attack or a "you're doing it wrong" sort of thing.

And grapple...yeah, let me put grapple this way. I think, based on my experience in judo, that the 3.x rules were actually some of the most realistic grappling rules I've seen in a rpg - and they were very out of character with the rest of the abstract combat rules. Pathfinder has made it better in some ways and worse in others. I'd almost rather at this point if the rules just a had a bullet list of actions you could do and cut out the verbage because I guarantee you that in Pathfinder, just as in 3.x, we lose grappling knowledge whenever we read the rules.

There are some things in Pathfinder I prefer over 3.5, such as the way negative energy levels work or the paladin's lay on hands ability. I do prefer some of the 3.5 class abilities that work per day, as mentioned above, but overall I'm satisfied with Pathfinder (although I'd also recommend anyone interested in Pathfinder to take a read of Trailblazer by Bad Axe Games), but with most criticisms that are disingenuous or outdated (like FrankTrollman saying you can't use 3.x monsters as-is in Pathfinder - yes, he's literally true...but calculate the CMB, CMD, and subtract 1 from the CR and you're done. That takes what, 10seconds at most?) it makes me wonder at an agenda, because there's often two sides to the criticism.

Take, for example, Frank merely saying that Power Attack was nerfed (true) - he doesn't tell you an effect of it (which I outlined above). This isn't to say that he's factually incorrect, just that he's only giving you one bit of data, for whatever reason.

Ultimately it comes down to this, for me. I played a lot of 3.0 and made the 3.5 switch pretty much when it came out and no, my 3.0 books were not invalidated. I played a lot of 3.5, ranging from Ptolus to Midnight to Forgotten Realms to Ravenloft and all points in between. We're now playing Pathfinder not because it's the OMG GREATEST EVAH! but because it tweaked a lot of the things we didn't like about 3.x and it's easier for us to untweak the changes they made that we don't like or don't agree with. The fact that it's in-print and not outrageously priced for new players is also a plus, but it being a vast improvement over 3.x is not a plus - but from my perspective it's also not a OMG WORST GAME EVAH either because it's not a big step back either...all told it's probably about even to 3.5

Which makes the fanboys of both games equally ludicrous. Again, in my opinion. I guarantee you for every plus presented for one, someone can present a negative for it and vice versa.

tl;dr version - 3.x is good, Pathfinder is good, both are different from each other in various ways and to various degrees. Be excellent to each other.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
First off, let me say this thread is much, much more constructive than a lot of the debates I've seen on this issue. People are most certainly being excellent to each other most of the time.

The only other thing I wanted to say is this: I just don't get what people are so concerned about with the 3.5 grappling rules. It doesn't even begin to compare to the headaches wildshape can give everyone at the table. Even a 1st level Cleric has to know at least 20 to 30 spells quite well if he wants to make an educated decision on what spells to memorize each day. A summoner needs to know his stuff excellently or risk his most powerful spells summoning a bunch of space-wasters instead of helpful allies. Do you know off the top of your head how actually turning undead (as opposed to spending turn attempts on other stuff) works?

As a DM, these things are my daily bread and butter. Whole spell lists, dozens of monsters, feat chains, skill uses, attack of opportunity rules and slews of other rules stuff must be available in my brain all the time when we game. So the grapple rules are kinda complicated in 3.5? Dude, that's like 0.1 percent of the rules complexity I'm expected to master just to fulfill my everyday responsibilities as a DM. I couldn't care less for streamlined rules in this one department.

It's been a long time since I had to read my grapple rules - but I do make a point of rereading rules over and over again. Basically, when I've finished reading through all my rulebooks, I start over again on a regular basis. Did Pathfinder lessen my workload in a perceptible way? Unh-unh. Maybe I could save myself a percent of effort here or there - after investing the time necessary to familiarize myself with every minute rules change that will throw me off. But nothing on the scale that would make this investment worthwhile.

So for my own DMing needs, I'll stay 3.5. For me, Pathfinder might as well not exist. You know what the big difference between this rules change and the 3.0/3.5 startover is? When 3.5 came out, there wasn't that much 3.0 material that became invalidated, and you basically had to go along and make the change to 3.5 if you wanted new material. However, after years and years of 3.5, there's enough material there to keep me busy for decades. Pathfinder just doesn't have anything to offer me.

I'm not dissing the system, I'm dissing the misconception that it was necessary to publish it at all.

enrious

First off, let me say this thread is much, much more constructive than a lot of the debates I've seen on this issue. People are most certainly being excellent to each other most of the time.

Yeah, we all seem to realize that the real enemy is the Palladium players and not each other.

The only other thing I wanted to say is this: I just don't get what people are so concerned about with the 3.5 grappling rules. It doesn't even begin to compare to the headaches wildshape can give everyone at the table. Even a 1st level Cleric has to know at least 20 to 30 spells quite well if he wants to make an educated decision on what spells to memorize each day. A summoner needs to know his stuff excellently or risk his most powerful spells summoning a bunch of space-wasters instead of helpful allies. Do you know off the top of your head how actually turning undead (as opposed to spending turn attempts on other stuff) works?

Let me give you my perspective as to why. You say a 1st level Cleric has to know 20-30 spells to intelligently decide what spells to know etc. - I disagree.

A cleric player needs to have the ability to read over the summary list of spells to see which ones jump out at him as being potentially viable, then quickly read through them to see if they are and even then, probably 80% of them will always be memorized each and every day. Call them his bread and butter spells. The only time he'll need to decide on new ones is when he gains levels, which means glancing over the spells he's already glanced over (if he hasn't gained a new spell level) or over the relatively short list of new spells of a new spell level. Thus, the only ability required is to glance over a summary list and decide which ones to research.

Sure, the cleric player could and probably should read over each and every spell available to them, but this is by no means required, in any edition.

But grappling? Sure the fighter/monk who specializes in grappling needs to know those rules as does the DM. But the cleric or wizard who have no interest in grappling had better learn it in about 30 seconds for when a monster grabs 'em...or hope their memory of it from reading the rules on grappling from last campaign are accurate. And hope that everyone remembers the rules the same way, because otherwise I guarantee you one person (and that's all it takes) to remember it differently for the game to grind to a halt while people feverishly flip through the book hoping for a way to save the aformentioned wizard.

In other words, no player is safe from having to know the grapple rules, but non-cleric players don't need to know the cleric spells available - that's the cleric player's job.

Thus, the grapple rules should, in my opinion, be as streamlined, simple, and unambiguous as possible because knowing, like red and blue lasers, is half the battle.

As a DM, these things are my daily bread and butter. Whole spell lists, dozens of monsters, feat chains, skill uses, attack of opportunity rules and slews of other rules stuff must be available in my brain all the time when we game. So the grapple rules are kinda complicated in 3.5? Dude, that's like 0.1 percent of the rules complexity I'm expected to master just to fulfill my everyday responsibilities as a DM. I couldn't care less for streamlined rules in this one department.

That .1% seems to come up in our games a bit more than any specific feat/spell/skill in the game, nevermind if it's a rarely used feat/spell/skill. Let's face it, pick a campaign. A majority of the spells/feats/skills that are selected by the players are the exact same ones selected by the players in the last campaign. And the campaign before that. And the campaign before that. And in the next campaign. It's not like you need to memorize every single possible one, only the ones that are new for you. And only the player using them needs to know that, plus the DM.

But grappling? Everyone. On top of AoOs. And actions. And special attacks. And so on. And that's just combat.

Here's another fun .1% of the rules - counterspelling. I guarantee you that none of us know how it works (ok, I do because I made a counterspeller) but no one else does because it's not relevant to them, unlike grappling.

That .1% of text equates to more than .1% of game time, in my experience. Given that, I don't feel like I'm asking a lot by asking for them to be easier to use.

It's been a long time since I had to read my grapple rules - but I do make a point of rereading rules over and over again. Basically, when I've finished reading through all my rulebooks, I start over again on a regular basis.

I apologize for breaking your paragraph up here, but let me stop you. I can say this with perfect confidence.

No one in my group, including myself with 25 years of gaming experience going back to 1e, the most experienced player with 23 years of gaming experience going back to 1e, to the least experienced player with 8 years of experience starting at the beginning of 3.5 read the entirety of the rules ad infinitum.

We don't have time. Real life doesn't permit this for us. Not even close. I'm the only who spends any time at all looking at any rpg forum, the only one who reads any of the pathfinder/3.5 books outside of our game sessions and that's only because I'm the DM. And I envy them.

We get together to have fun, to socialize, and to have fun and socialize. It is but only a small part of our lives, and for the most part, the only time we all come together at the same time as a group.

Because of this, yeah, I want the grappling rules streamlined. I'd rather spend time playing instead of fighting the rules to have fun.

Did Pathfinder lessen my workload in a perceptible way? Unh-unh. Maybe I could save myself a percent of effort here or there - after investing the time necessary to familiarize myself with every minute rules change that will throw me off. But nothing on the scale that would make this investment worthwhile.

I hear you and would agree that Pathfinder doesn't lessen the workload for a player or DM, compared to 3.x.

However, we've found that it doesn't increase it either and it had enough that appealed to us to warrant the switch.

But certainly, I would say that if what's in it doesn't have enough appeal, you are *not* losing anything by sticking with 3.x.

So for my own DMing needs, I'll stay 3.5. For me, Pathfinder might as well not exist. You know what the big difference between this rules change and the 3.0/3.5 startover is? When 3.5 came out, there wasn't that much 3.0 material that became invalidated, and you basically had to go along and make the change to 3.5 if you wanted new material. However, after years and years of 3.5, there's enough material there to keep me busy for decades. Pathfinder just doesn't have anything to offer me.

As I glance over my substantial 3.x library, I realize that exactly the same amount of materials that 3.5 invalidated were invalidated by Pathfinder, which is to say none.

I'm not dissing the system, I'm dissing the misconception that it was necessary to publish it at all.

Oh, I'd say it was very necessary to Paizo for it to be published, due to the nature of their business model.

I think the real issue is whether or not there's a compelling reason for a group to switch to it - and I think on that, we both agree that there isn't, because people can have fun with either set of rules.

And to me, that's the only criteria that matters.

Last edited:

Gray Lensman

Explorer
[MENTION=2126]enrious[/MENTION], I too am the only one in my group that spends any time in forums.

Even Cindy, the current DM and the one I am working on developing a New Campaign World with won't do it (She does data entry for a major insurance company and the last thing she wants to do when out of work is look at another keyboard :eek:).

I realy agree with your post above.

And [MENTION=78958]Empirate[/MENTION], your right about it being a constructive conversation.

I am a Traveller player (mostly GM) as well and if you want to get into version wars you should see some of those.

Let's see OD&D, B\X, BECMI. 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5, 4e (THATS 8)

CT, MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20, MgT, T5 (Hey, thats eight too)

I don't do as many D&D sites as I do SFRPG sites, but the version wars can get quite intense.

But I think at times All people forget the following:

IMNSHO and YMMV as always,

Dan
fahne18.gif

"If everything is under control then you aren't going fast enough" Mario Andretti
"The greastest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes" Winston Churchill
"You are the master architect. If a chart gives you a result that you don't like, throw the book out the window and make your own choices!"World Builders Guidebook, 1996, TSR Inc.

enrious

Oh, I agree GL and my advice to you is the same anyone evaluating Pathfinder vs. 3.x is simple.

This assumes you have some experience with 3.x.

Take a look at a given item in the PRD (Pathfinder SRD) and read it for yourself. Try to figure out the impact it'll have.

Ask some 3.x folks what they think the impact would be. Then ask people who play Pathfinder what their experience with it is. Try to figure out what the effect will be for your group. Or naturally people who've done both may be good resources.

But here's who I'd avoid, the people who only play 3.5 and/or played Pathfinder at the beginning and quit playing it. It's the same reason why you should never ask me about 4e - I tried it at the beginning and never again, but I have no idea if the criticisms I had about it are still valid or if indeed they ever were and simply shown to be fine over time.

Likewise, looking back at Frank's "review", and understanding that it was done before the game was even released, some things (like the monster-can't-be-used-as-is complaint) were valid until say the Bestiary was released (which gave you three ways to do mitigate that) but others were at best only half the story (such as the power attack example).

Let me give you a better example of what I mean to illustrate my point in this post.

In Frank's post, he is lambasting various changes and says, "gives single classed characters (like spellcasters) bonus hit points or skill point for no reason".

Sit down and play a Pathfinder campaign and you'll immediately see the reason (vs. 3.x) - multiclassing is way, way, way reduced.

Is that a good thing or is it a bad thing?

You tell me, it's your game.

But my point is that it was disingenuous to say that the change was done "for no reason".

In fact, take a look at the rest of his criticisms in that paragraph and you realize that looking over all the changes listed, Pathfinder had a coherent reason to make those changes (the wisdom of them is open for debate and I disagree with some of them), but it's not like they were made after too many late-night Taco Bell runs.

Note that I don't dispute the accuracy of the changes he describes, but reading it you can hardly think he's unbiased - and that bias renders it fraudulent, even if factually accurate because you only get half the story.

Which is why I'd encourage you to ask around, hit up those 3.x and Pathfinder players. Find out for yourself.

Heck, both the SRD and PRD are available freely online (and the PRD is constantly updated with new material from new sourcebooks, unlike how WotC treated the SRD) - so you could see for yourself why in Pathfinder there's less use of Prestige Classes (in my experience) than in 3.x, but it's up to you to decide if that's a good or a bad thing for you. And note, that the reason came out after the game was initially released, so someone who never played after the playtest wouldn't likely to know.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Gray Lensman

Explorer
billd91 is right, it was a good post.

I have been going thru the PFSRD as time allows and while I don't agree with some of what I see I have stolen some ideas already.

Biggest instance: PF version of Dragon Disciple.

I think it real nice to find a forum where people can disagree without resorting to ignorance and personal attacks. There are several places I won't go because of it.

IMNSHO and YMMV as always,
Dan
fahne18.gif

"If everything is under control then you aren't going
fast enough" Mario Andretti

"The greastest lesson in life is to know that even fools
are right sometimes" Winston Churchill

"You are the master architect. If a chart gives you a
result that you don't like, throw the book out the window and make your
own choices!"World Builders Guidebook, 1996, TSR Inc.

Remove ads