The Awesomeness that is Hypnotism

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I put this as humour because whenever I think of it, it cracks me up.

Whilst playing an enchanter mage today I suddenly clicked to something I hadn't realised about the Hypnotism at-will power. Now, I already thought this was an awesome power before this, but now it's become my absolute must-have at-will for any mage or even wizard. It's just too damn funny to pass up.

The epic awesomeness comes into play when you have a defender who has marked a target. You then cast hypnotism on it... and make it attack itself with a +4 bonus to hit (-2 for the mark). The defender then gets to attack it because of the mark :D

"Why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself! Why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself!"

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Hah.

Have them use a ranged attack on themselves.

Mm, especially if you had one flanked by a Brutal Scoundrel Rogue and a Fighter: OA MBA + Sneak attack from the Brutal Scoundrel AND an OA MBA from the fighter AND Combat Challenge Interrupt MBA from the Fighter AND it's attack on itself.

Could kill it in one shot if the dice line up.

Phaezen

First Post
I put this as humour because whenever I think of it, it cracks me up.

Whilst playing an enchanter mage today I suddenly clicked to something I hadn't realised about the Hypnotism at-will power. Now, I already thought this was an awesome power before this, but now it's become my absolute must-have at-will for any mage or even wizard. It's just too damn funny to pass up.

The epic awesomeness comes into play when you have a defender who has marked a target. You then cast hypnotism on it... and make it attack itself with a +4 bonus to hit (-2 for the mark). The defender then gets to attack it because of the mark :D

"Why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself! Why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself!"

Quite funny, but my only concern would be that you are using the defenders reaction on your turn, leaving the target free to act on it's turn. In effect reducing the effectiveness of the defender.

DracoSuave

First Post
Most DM's never let the defender use their mark attacks anyway. And the -2 still applies regardless.

Generally, if the defender isn't getting free mark punishments, that's generally a strong indication the monster is doing and attacking exactly who and where the defender wants them to. Having him use up his defender strike can, with certain initiative orders... pretty much remove his ability to defend.

You're better off running a striker and just dealing good raw damage, rather than making the defender worse at its job just to get extra suboptimal attacks.

Except it's +4 to hit themselves (yeah, after mark is factored in... you ARE an enchanter, right?), and if it's a ranged attack, it's followed by a mark punishment AND an attack of opportunity. Three attacks... four is the general 'dead monster' point.

So... yes.

Seriously tho... If your intention is to take a power so that you can give up a turn of damage so that someone else, even a fighter, can get an extra attack in... chances are there's better things to design your party around.

Like... say... just being two strikers.

But, if it's something you burst out in situations where it doesn't harm your front line defense, and can toss out a few extra moments of damage? Go for it. Just don't build a party around it.

MarkB

Legend
Generally, if the defender isn't getting free mark punishments, that's generally a strong indication the monster is doing and attacking exactly who and where the defender wants them to. Having him use up his defender strike can, with certain initiative orders... pretty much remove his ability to defend.

On the other hand, if that punishment isn't being used up, and you want to increase damage output at no real cost, then Delaying until just before the defender's turn and then using this combo will be moderately effective - you get those two attacks in, and then the defender renews his immediate action before the monster gets to do anything.

Remove ads