The Awesomeness that is Hypnotism

Someone

Adventurer
Tho once you've done this, the monster's can learn that it doesn't matter if it breaks it or not on his turn.

Then the defender's ability to defend shrinks from their being a bucket of defensive measures down to a -2 attack roll that is probably going to be used against the most annoying and squishy target.

I'd say it does matter. The monster doesn't know what the mage will do; it could be another hypnotism, or any other power. Assuming provoking the defender punishment is the tactically unsound option, you've basically forced the monster to be dumb by virtue of knowing hypnotism.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
DracoSuave said:
Nor does it factor in that monsters are more likely to have conditions that suck attacked to basic attacks like ongoing damage or marked or immobilized or restrained or weakened...

It doesn't make much sense, but I find the idea of a soldier monster marking herself with this combo to be added hilarity.

"-2 to hit anything other than yourself."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm liking the analysis in this thread :)

I wonder what an optimized enchanter looks like, through say level 6?

Unwise

Adventurer
For added comedy value, have the enchanter hypnotise an enemy marked by a Battlemind. In my game this happened to an elite ogre, who proceeded to hit himself for 3d10+8 damage, knock himself prone, then took all of that damage over again as psychic damage from the Battlemind.

The comedy level here is much higher as the Battlemind never actually strikes the guy. He is just left standing there wondering, WTH just happened to that ogre?

<edit> The most powerful thing about hypnotism is having a creative player behind it, especially one with the gift of the gab. In one game, we tracked down a traitor to the crown and his nefarious master. The enchanter said something like "Well done Sir Traitorguy, you have served your king well. We would never have found the villian behind this plot without you. Now, cast off your guise of treachery and strike down this pretender to the throne..." with a decent bluff roll and the enemy not knowing that the PC is an enchanter, it suddenly completely changs the encounter.
The traitor is compelled to attack his own villianous master and the villian is therefore convinced that he has been double-crossed by the 'traitor'. This becomes especially funny, as now the traitor is in a lose-lose situation, finding himself friendless. He decides to hedge his bets and pretend that he really was a double-agent this entire time, sideing with the PCs.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
The only thing really good about the power (mechanically) is that monster at wills scale better than controller at wills; so this can give a wizard solid single target damage compared to what they can normally do, with the option of taking the slide instead when that's a useful option.
That's not to be sneezed at... It makes the power get better as the Enchanter gets higher in level. I wouldn't ever recommend it for a blaster wizard, but for an Enchanter Mage it's incredibly good.

Not only does the damage scale impressively, but as levels increase, monsters tend to start dealing out conditions even on their basic attacks.

-O

Remove ads