Legends and Lore : The Fine Art of Dungeon Mastering

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The cost of insulating the game against one type of bad DM through rules, in my opinion, is too high. Instead, it’s up to the designers to provide good DMing advice, easy to understand methods that beginners can learn, and flexible rules that help DMs build great campaigns and compelling adventures. Treating the rules as padding against a bad DM is attacking the problem from the wrong angle.

(. . .)

When looking at the game, R&D needs to make sure that it addresses mechanical problems with mechanical solutions and DM technique issues with advice and guidance. Rules built in fear of a bad DM represent a misplaced priority, effort better spent on showing a DM good techniques and useful approaches.

"Sokath, his eyes uncovered!"

(No new poll?)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I wish I knew where he was going with this one. I've seen these points brought up on debated multiple times on EN World already, and some of them very recently. I know what he says isn't necessarily new or anything, but I'm not sure what he's trying to point out. Maybe that in the future he'd like to see the game include rules aimed at good GMs, with advice on how he thinks good GMs should be?

If so, I'm okay with that. It just seems like a lot to say, but I guess he's explaining his reasoning, even if I've seen it before, to people who don't read those threads, or to show what page he's on. I'm okay with that, too, I guess.

Hmm. I guess all I really have to say is, "Okay, Mr. Mearls." No poll, no vote. As always, play what you like :)

Quickleaf

Legend
One of the worrying trends I see in RPGs, and D&D is equally guilty of this, is the idea of using rules to neutralize bad or mediocre DMs
Yes, but no mention of improved module design? That's how most new DMs cut their teeth on learning to DM.

The linear story that has no real player choice,
Most of what's been published in Dragon since going online, the H-P-E series, Revenge of the Giants?

the Mary Sue NPC who saves the day,
The Lost Heir from the upcoming Neverwinter Encounters season?

the pointlessly murderous game that slaughters PCs with no rhyme or reason—these are all timeworn examples of the art of the DM gone bad.
Tomb of Horrors?

Stormonu

Legend
I feel like this article is all stuff we've heard before and are aware of. There's bad DMs out there, and no number of rules or advice will ever make them better (if they care to even read/implement it).

Likewise, there are many good DM's out there, and I fear they often find them in the situation where they find it necessary to get out from under the rules to do their best - the system simply drags it down as it's written.

Perhaps the worst affected is the "average" DM, whose fears or is inexperienced enough to go beyond the written rules. Certainly, they are buoyed above being a "bad DM" if they adhere to the rules and advice, but likewise their greatness is capped by the rules at hand if they don't learn to go beyond the printed page. To me, D&D (and Pathfinder) have become they purvey of law-speak, not a casual game among friends.

As an aside, there used to be a time where modules were some of the best DMing advice around. They were put-into-practice advice of do's and don'ts. Personally, I still think modules greatly outweigh most DMing advice (which is simple theory). I don't know about others, but I learn best from doing.

In that regard, I think WotC's been tripping all over itself. It can put some excellent advice in front of the DM, but then they don't follow it themselves. And I think moreso than the advice in the DMG, DM's tailor the game based off their play experiences - and the "official" modules are as much a teaching tool as the DMG advice.

Whisper72

Explorer
Maybe the article is more bent on showing that they finally 'get it' and maybe even aimed at an internal audience. Also, to show where their thinking is heading, trying to wrap their own heads around the idea and seeing what the reactions out there will be (from a broader audience than just Enworld...)

Also, even if this material has been discussed at length here at Enworld, there are many who read the Wizards' pages who never even heard of Enworld, so there is still a lot of preaching to do to that audience as well...

As to the module issue, I wholeheartedly agree. Good introductory modules with good advice on how to DM specific situations as they are introduced in the module are one of the best ways to 'teach' DM's.

Maybe WotC should introduce 'basic', 'expert' and 'master' adventures, not so much based on the PC levels, but based on the experience of the DM who is going to run it!

delericho

Legend
Brilliant article. I agree with it 100%.

I do find it amusing that some of the things he says should be avoided (the designers alienating a section of the player base and railroad adventures especially) are things that WotC have been doing for a while now. However, if this is an indication that they're learning lessons and they're not going to continue these bad behaviours, then all the better. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Anselyn

Explorer
Maybe the article is more bent on showing that they finally 'get it' and maybe even aimed at an internal audience. Also, to show where their thinking is heading, trying to wrap their own heads around the idea and seeing what the reactions out there will be (from a broader audience than just Enworld...)

The poll result of 30/8/2011 was interesting as it had the number of votes as well as percentages. So, 1259 people voted in that poll.

I don't really know how to measure the number of active participants in the ongoing discussion here but looking at the number of posters and the views:replies ratio suggests 20-40 people are really engaged with Mearl's project here.

But - as to the tenor of article - it's clear that it reflects the arguments here and presumably elsewhere.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Brilliant article. I agree with it 100%.

I do find it amusing that some of the things he says should be avoided (the designers alienating a section of the player base and railroad adventures especially) are things that WotC have been doing for a while now.

Honestly, I think that Wizards (and Paizo... and anyone) are in a no-win scenario here. Whatever they do, they'll alienate part of the player base.

Cheers!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases