Legends and Lore : The Fine Art of Dungeon Mastering

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
  • Bad DMs can become good DMs with time, effort and feed back.
  • Good DMs can become great DMs with time, effort and feed back.
  • Great DMs can become bad DMs with no effort and feed back.
Rules for GOOD DMs
  • Know the game
  • Know your players
  • Know how to have fun

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I think people have to remember that not all these articles are, or even should be, aimed at experienced players. There's always room for bringing up old discussions again when it's a magazine all about running the game itself.

BryonD

Hero
Yes, but no mention of improved module design? That's how most new DMs cut their teeth on learning to DM.

Most of what's been published in Dragon since going online, the H-P-E series, Revenge of the Giants?

The Lost Heir from the upcoming Neverwinter Encounters season?

Tomb of Horrors?

I don't know that these are good examples.

While I personally don't see ToH as my prefered style of adventure, I'd still LOVE to play a game using ToH with the presumption that (a) I'm using a good system that presumes a good DM and (b) I have a good DM.

ToH is a killer dungeon. But that does not require a killer DM. And a killer dungeon run by a DM who does a good job can be vastly more fun than a great module run by a killer or otherwise crappy DM.

Yes, good mudules and good design are important. But I don't think that is the point here and I also think that they are sigificantly less important than the points here.

Celebrim

Legend
The cost of insulating the game against one type of bad DM through rules, in my opinion, is too high. Instead, it’s up to the designers to provide good DMing advice, easy to understand methods that beginners can learn, and flexible rules that help DMs build great campaigns and compelling adventures. Treating the rules as padding against a bad DM is attacking the problem from the wrong angle. Bad DMs, or inexperienced DMs who could go bad, need good advice and clear instruction on how to get started. To my mind, it’s like blaming a bad writer’s keyboard rather than his or her lack of experience or exposure to skilled teachers and good, instructive texts.

On top of all that, the designers always risk taking aim at DM styles that some people actually enjoy. A killer dungeon stocked with ridiculous monsters, opaque puzzles that offer instant death, and elaborate traps that are merciless in dealing destruction to the foolhardy and rash might turn off a story oriented group. At the same time, gamers who love a good challenge or who want to pit their wits against the DM love that style of game. A well meaning designer could build rules to discourage such a game and end up alienating part of the D&D audience. Such an approach runs counter to the idea of RPG rules as tools for world building and creativity.

No more training do you require. Already know you, that which you need.

MrMyth

First Post
Most of what's been published in Dragon since going online, the H-P-E series, Revenge of the Giants?

Definitely linear (for the most part), but I wouldn't say lacking in player choice, at least among the one's I've run/played in. Especially not the more recent stuff.

Tomb of Horrors?

I think there is a difference between a murderous adventure and a murderous game. You know, going into the thing, that entering the Tomb of Horrors will be a bloodbath. That's different from the game where no matter what your characters do, demons will pop up from out of the street and slaughter you on your way to the market.

Anselyn

Explorer
The Fine Art of Dungeon Mastering vs The Art of Fine Dungeon Mastering.

The fine arts encompass art forms developed primarily for aesthetics and/or concept rather than practical application (Wikipedia).

DMing is a very pragmatic skill based on, as said above, knowing how to have fun with your players and their expectations given the game you've agreed to play.

Greg Stafford was making the point years ago that DMs were the most important asset to the gaming community - but I feel that game releases are still pitched to the players. e.g. PHB scheduled for a first release, then changed to simultaneous release. Have we ever had a game sold as: look how much fun you (the DM) could be giving a group of friends.

Finally, can DMs learn from books or is the real induction always via a gaming group and then learning by experience.

Remove ads