GENESIS I & II--Terra Nova #1 & 2/Season I 2011

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
GENESIS 1
In the first part of the two-part series premiere, the police raid the Shannon home and arrest the father, Jim Shannon. Shannon realizes he must take drastic measures to keep his family together after his wife, Elisabeth, is selected to travel back to prehistoric times to create a new civilization and, hopefully, help change the future.

GENESIS 2
In the second part of the two-part series premiere, the police raid the Shannon home and arrest the father, Jim Shannon. Shannon realizes he must take drastic measures to keep his family together after his wife, Elisabeth, is selected to travel back to prehistoric times to create a new civilization and, hopefully, help change the future.

Last edited:

Part 1 was mildly interesting for the back story, but didn't really seem relevant to the narrative of the rest of the show. They probably could have cut 75% of the scenes that occurred in the future if they wanted to. My biggest complaint is that the time travelers didn't show enough wonder at Terra Nova. After spending as much time as Part 1 did showing the dirty, mechanical, closed space of the city, the visual amazement of seeing Terra Nova for the first time should have been played up a lot more. There was one scene where they made a big deal about seeing the moon (which is clouded by pollution in the future), but they needed to go much further than that. Heck, just seeing the open space should have been a vertigo-inspiring culture shock to the time travelers, not to mention to flora and fauna.

Part 2 showed much more promise. Some interesting story lines were introduced, and the characters developed more than two dimensions. Its not a slam dunk yet, but there's a lot of potential. I remain optimistic.

Overall, the production values/special effects were bad compared to what you see in high-budget movies, but much better than the made-for-TV movies on SyFy. I think they're doing about as good as they can with a TV show budget.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
"Don't worry, the slashers aren't gonna want to eat your skinny ass," BOOM CRASH DINOSAUR SCREECH kid who just got told he wasn't going to get eaten gets dragged out of the car and eaten.

That's just one example of the poor writing of this show; there are gazillions more. Given that Brannon Braga is both a writer and executive producer of the show, this does not surprise me.

The sole redeeming factor of the series is Stephen Lang who plays Nathaniel Taylor, the leader of the Terra Nova colony. Both the character and the actor kick ass. Shame it's not enough for me to want to watch the second episode.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
That's just one example of the poor writing of this show; there are gazillions more. Given that Brannon Braga is both a writer and executive producer of the show, this does not surprise me.

Yep, going to be dealing with "timelines" way too much, I think. Braga seems to love those 'what if time stories' and as I said in another thread, will not be surprised to find out that the humans that come back are not E.T.s in the future.

rgard

Adventurer
I found it ok. The acting was off a bit for everyone, but Lang. That said, many successful shows take time for the actors to hit their stride.

Spoilers...

Not sure I'm going to like the whole 'Lang's son is mad in the jungle' thing and likes to leave clues (marks on rocks) as to what he thinks he discovered.

Would have been better if the markings were put there by a different species, but then folks really would call it a reimaging of Land of the Lost.

I'll continue to watch this for now, except when the Steelers are on MNF.

Remove ads