GENESIS I & II--Terra Nova #1 & 2/Season I 2011

Fast Learner

First Post
Wow, Braga does a perfect job of explaining why it's not very good:

“...Star Trek: The Next Generation,” Braga recalled, “...this show has a very similar appeal in that regard, because that was really about a family, or crew in that case. But it dealt with themes, it was very humanitarian, but it also had scary aliens and weird things happening. And this show is similar in that regard. There’s a little something for everybody in this show.”

Why would we need another pablum-filled Star Trek?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I guess I watched a different Star Trek: Enterprise; because I don't remember any "scary aliens" and the only "weird things happening" was with the Star Trek history and universe. :erm:

Crothian

First Post
I just watched it and I think it is pretty good. It has a few minor issues like if it is a different timeline how are they going to control the future since it is going to be a different future.

Richards

Legend
I also found it problematic believing that the main family had managed to conceal a pregnancy, a birth, and the raising of an illegal third daughter for three years before they got found out. How exactly did that work? Did the mother - an accomplished doctor - take a half-year sabbatical during the latter half of her pregnancy? Did nobody in this oppressive future society notice that they were suddenly buying diapers and baby formula?

And I groaned at the pissed-off teen son character. I hated that character type in the new V series, and I'm not liking him any better in this one.

Overall, I was underwhelmed.

Johnathan

Fast Learner

First Post
Braga points out exactly why I didn't find the show very interesting, despite the description of the show sounding exactly like something I'd love:
There’s a little something for everybody in this show.

Important message to producers of entertainment: there is no longer a market called "everybody".

That died at least 10 years ago, more probably 25. Appealing to everybody worked when there were 3-4 channels and no internet, no Netflix, etc., but those days are long gone. You absolutely must narrow your target market if you want your show to succeed.

You can have teen angst be important to the plot, for example, as long as your show is marketed to pre-teens, teens, and young adults; if your show has:
  • Teen angst

• Keeping the family together

• Political and philosophical divisions among the adults

• Sexy shirtless men

• Science fiction

• Important environmental message

• plus much more
your show/movie/book won't be sufficiently appealing to anybody and you won't be able to keep a large enough audience, especially not at $4 million per episode.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
your show/movie/book won't be sufficiently appealing to anybody and you won't be able to keep a large enough audience, especially not at $4 million per episode.

All very true, however one must look at the silver-lining here and applaud all those producers for creating $4 million dollars worth of jobs during an economic downturn once a week for... how many episodes?

Fast Learner

First Post
All very true, however one must look at the silver-lining here and applaud all those producers for creating $4 million dollars worth of jobs during an economic downturn once a week for... how many episodes?
Six, I'm thinking. Not a full season, anyway, with mediocre pilot ratings and mediocre reviews for a two-hour episode.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
how are they going to control the future since it is going to be a different future.

Metaphorically: they are the only sentient mammals on the planet (presumably), and they already know what humanity did in the original timeline- and they think they can do better.

Those who forget the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them. And they're doing it literally!

Remove ads