Skills List?

Gray Lensman

Explorer
I have been looking for a consolidated list of skills on the net without much success except for Core and SRD.

What I am looking for is Interrogation. Perhaps there isn't one and I will have to make on up. Perhaps a combination of Intimidate and Gather Information? Or maybe Bluff thrown into the mix?

Or maybe a Feat requiring certain levels in the above skills?

Any thoughts?

Chalice

Explorer
The Realms Helps site has lists of rules from (nearly?) all 3rd edition sources. Here is the skills list: Skills Index

Interrogation could be seen as a combination of existing skill uses, perhaps? Interpretation is key.

Crothian

First Post
It would depend on how they want to go about the Interrogation. If you are doing good cop/ bad cop for instance then it would be diplomacy and intimidate.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
It would depend on how they want to go about the Interrogation. If you are doing good cop/ bad cop for instance then it would be diplomacy and intimidate.

Good Point.

So, I could just say that the PCs ability to interrogate someone is the average of his Intimidate and Gather Info Skill levels. Or Dip/GI.

Could also make it class skill with a simple write up.

I will have to ponder this one for a few days.

Chalice

Explorer
I might be a little wary of adding more skills, if only because some players will be forced to allocate up to twice as many skill points to achieve what might end up being more or less the same thing during play. And skill points are in short supply, for all too many PCs...

Crothian

First Post
Good Point.

So, I could just say that the PCs ability to interrogate someone is the average of his Intimidate and Gather Info Skill levels. Or Dip/GI.

I would not use Gather Information. It is more for going around town to multiple places and finding information. What you are doing is trying to get one person to tell you what you want. I am no interrogation expert but it seems that you either try to be nice to him to have him give up the info (diplomacy) or you threaten him and scare him (intimidation).

Greenfield

Adventurer
One mechanic I appreciate from 4e is the Skill Challenge.

4e Skill Challenges are a way to define a challenge in terms of using multiple skills to achieve it. You need to get a certain number of successes before you rack up too many failures, and there can be several skills involved.

So look at all the possible approaches to an interrogation and see what fits.

Obviously, Intimidate is going to be in there. So is Bluff and/or Diplomacy.

That is, you can scare/beat answers out of someone, you can trick them into giving you answers, or you can bargain for answers.

Is Gather Information applicable? Maybe. It's the art of collecting bits of information, gathered in casual conversations, and putting them together into a usable whole.

What about Sense Motive? You need to be able to tell when someone is lying to you, after all.

Knowledge Local? Knowing the right names to drop, or being able to invoke local traditions can be a deal maker or breaker.

Hell, being a good cook could help, if the right meal will induce a hungry man to talk. (Real world, an FBI interrogator got useful intel' from an Al Qaeda operative by offering him sugar-free cookies. The man was diabetic and hadn't been able to eat anything sweet in years. It was the perfect "I'm your friend" move for that prisoner and that situation.)

The point is that the list isn't fixed. Let the players decide what they're going to try based on what they know of the situation. You lay out the general challenge, then let the players suggest which skills might be applicable. As in, what they're going to try, and why they think it will work. Feel free to discourage ideas that are too far out, but if somebody steadfastly insists on making Craft: Pottery Making attempts, just ignore them or count them as failures.

The opponent's level should help set the DC for the skill checks (as per Intimidate), and the importance of the information needed or the time pressure involved would help decide how many successes are needed. If the group racks up half as many failures as the needed number of successes before they reach their goal, they failed. The prisoner has mislead them, refused them, or perhaps died from the brutality of the interrogation.

xigbar

Explorer
The only skills outside of Core that I know of are Lucid Dreaming, Iaijitsu Focus, Martial Lore, Knowledge Psionics and Use Psionic Device.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases