Your Turing Test: Big "F"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So I've been getting robo-phone calls from (253) 246-8553, asking me if I wanted to be a test house for a home security system.

Now, I know it's not a real AI, just a fairly sophisticated recorded message of some kind, but it's creepy good. When I first suspected I was talking to a machine, I interrupted it and asked "Is this a recording?"

It replied, "Do I sound like a recording?"

I said, "Yes, because it seems as if you're not listening to my answers to your questions."

"Ha, ha, ha! Sorry about that!"

...and it continued with its sales pitch until I hung up on it.

But it's called me back several times. I wondered, though...does anyone listen to the responses is getting to improve it? So instead of hanging up on it, I've been responding to it's queries with non-sequiturs.

When asked if I wanted to be a test home this time, I said "I have cats."

It responded with something like, "Well, that's nice, but have you considered having additional layers of security?"

I responded with another cat-related non-sequitur, and completely fried it!

It responded "Ha, ha, ha, weh-weh-weh...*blip* Ha, ha, ha, weh-weh-weh...*blip* Ha, ha, ha, weh-weh-weh...*blip*" dialtone

I may have killed it.

If it calls back, I'm going to try some other non-sequiturs...possibly some other languages.

pathfinderq1

First Post
My wife keeps the Blade Runner quotes page bookmarked on the computer just for such occasions- if she suspects a robo-call, she starts giving he replicant test questions. Best response so far: "I can see that you're busy. I'll try back later." We keep hoping that even if it doesn't stop the calls, at least whoever is checking the call responses will get a laugh.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
S
When asked if I wanted to be a test home this time, I said "I have cats."

It responded with something like, "Well, that's nice, but have you considered having additional layers of security?"

Hm. It considers household cats a layer of security? It must model home invaders as 1st level Commoners.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder what it will "think" if I break out with "I have Hippos."

My Mom's suggestion...

At first, she was incredulous that I'd do this since it uses my minutes (it's always on my cell)- but I pointed out I never use all my minutes, and this is cheap, randomized fun.

Especially if you look at it as essentially doing what Captain Kirk does to so many machine intelligences in his career.

It may also be fun to try hitting numbers on your keypad. I imagine most systems are programmed to respond to certain numbers: 0 for the operator, different numbers bring you to extensions in the phone system, etc. But if you want to break it again, you could try hitting the pound or star buttons repeatedly. This will cause an error response on many systems. As a side note, you can also try mashing pound or star to get around some of the more annoying computer-based answering systems if you have trouble getting a live person.

I have also read that some computer based phone systems are programmed to recognize angry customers, so swearing into them can lead to a faster response. You might try cursing at it to see what it says back. From there, try more esoteric insults to see how good it's range is; will it recognize cursing in Spanish? How about Shakespearean insults? What will it say if you threaten legal action?

LightPhoenix

First Post
I have also read that some computer based phone systems are programmed to recognize angry customers, so swearing into them can lead to a faster response.

I don't know if this is true or not, but since I heard it I always make an effort to curse while on hold. I doubt it really works, but it's fun to do.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know if this is true or not, but since I heard it I always make an effort to curse while on hold. I doubt it really works, but it's fun to do.

LOL! If I had only thought of that a few years ago!

My ISP was a company called Earthlink. I had a serious technical problem, and they put me on hold. At that point, their hold music was some famous classical instrumental which, if I could remember its name and find it on youtube, you'd recognize it. It was only about 3 minutes long. And when it finished, there'd be a 2 second pause and it would restart.

In the process of getting my issue handled, I spent more than an hour and a half on hold.

I hate that song now.

Javol! Dieses ist Herr Stearns. Nicht habe ich die Polizei auf Geschwindigkeitsvorwahlknopf . Ya ist es unter 911.
Meine Katze hat Kätzchen. Nein, Nein Im Augenblick! Guten Abend!
:D

Remove ads