• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Gamism," The Forge, and the Elephant in the Room

innerdude

Legend
Having heard oodles about it from various ENWorld-ers, I finally ventured over to The Forge (The Forge Forums - Index) for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

My first impressions of the site were generally positive, though anyone who's complained about the pretentiousness of Ron Edwards' writing style certainly has a point. That said, I found that I actually agreed with most of his explication of Gamist/Narrativist/Simulationist theory, and the theory's general taxonomy. I enjoy exploring basic human motivation (one of the reasons I've always loved RPGs to begin with), and GNS theory is nothing if not a short-hand for looking at how RPG group dynamics develop.

That said, there was something that I simply couldn't shake while reading through Ron's five or six different treatises on GNS, and after further re-readings, it has still stuck with me. To me it's a huge "elephant in the room" surrounding GNS, and it is this:

Gamism in its purest form, as defined by Ron Edwards, is largely antithetical to the social contract of roleplaying.

Now, before everyone goes off on a massive "Who are you to decide what isn't roleplaying!!!" rant, or rails against me for "One True Way-ism," at least hear me out.

What I'm not saying is that those who enjoy Gamism are doing anything "wrong." I personally have a near-infinite appetite for gamism. I LOVE board games, and an evening of hard-core Cities and Knights of Catan, followed up by some Dominion is one of life's true joys. I love the "Step on Up!" challenge of digging into rules and figuring out how they tick, all to create a strategic advantage, and win the admiration of peers for a game well played.

What I am saying, however, is that RPGs are a vastly inferior source of fulfilling Gamist tendencies compared to numerous other venues, and as such, Gamism should, as it has since RPGs have evolved beyond their war gaming roots, play third-fiddle to Narrativism and Simulationism. Ron Edwards is all for having more "Gamist" RPGs. I happen to think they're the last place I would want to push Gamism.

In Ron Edwards mind, Gamism is "easy, diverse, and unpretentious." Yet pure powergaming, and "munchkin-ing" have long been derided in our hobby. So if Gamism isn't "bad," why is it so difficult to incorporate into many RPGs, and why do the majority of RPGs implicitly or explicitly push back against Gamist tendencies?

Ron seems to think it's mostly misguided GMs and game designers trying to "enforce their will":

"Some groups and game designers treat Gamism's easy 'in' as a necessary evil and to take an appeasement approach. The 'Id' can be controlled, they say, as long as the Superego (the GM) stays firmly in charge and gives it occasional fights and a reward system based on improving effectiveness. This approach may rank among the most-commonly attempted yet least-successful tactic in all of game design. It will never actually work: the Lumpley Principle correctly places the rules and procedures of play at the mercy of the Social Contract, not the other way around. Therefore, even if such a game continues, it has this limping-along, gotta-put-up-with-Bob feel to it."

But here's the thing: I don't think the problem is the groups, the GM, or the rules systems. If Bob is the problem, then Bob is the problem. And the problem is that most Narrativist and Simulationist players rightfully feel that Gamism in RPGs unnecessarily encroaches on territory considered to be fundamental to the genre.

Board games are one type of social experience, and RPGs are another, but to a Gamist, the ultimate purpose of them is the same--to "win" the "game." A Gamist can have similar senses of satisfaction playing WoW, Risk, Pinochle, or RPGs. Narrativists and Simulationists, however, are pretty much limited to RPGs.

Nobody cares about sharing a "narrative," or "interacting with the game world" of Risk--but in RPGs, they are fundamental to the entire experience.

If Gamism in RPGs has evolved away from its earliest war gaming roots, it's because most RPG players have found that Gamism is a poor fit, or more appropriately, a poorer fit for the genre than Narrativism and Simulationism. Why on earth would a Gamist prefer roleplaying games to one of the numerous, vastly superior outlets for their desire--video games, board games, card games, and the like? RPGs are different from other Gamist venues precisely because they're not wholly Gamist.

So if you're a pure Gamist, why hang out with all of us "Narrativists" and "Simulationists," when we're mostly going to tell you to stop being "Gamist" in the first place? Why not spend your time on something that fills your Gamist desires much more readily and fully than RPGs generally manage? Having said that, I recognize that many of us don't always get to choose our group's makeup. And sometimes, we have a friend we just want to be involved in the hobby at all, regardless of motivation.

But if Gamists consistently feel dissatisfied with their RPG experiences, it's probably because generally speaking, the genre is already making them swim upstream. RPGs are one of the few, singular outlets that Narrativists and Simulationists have, whereas RPGs are just one of dozens, if not hundreds of outlets for Gamists. As a result, Narrativists and Simulationists are rightfully protective of our turf. Our opportunities for exploration are vastly more limited compared to Gamists. We need our RPGs to be Narrativist and Simulationist, in ways that Gamists don't need their RPGs to be "Gamist." In other words, when it comes to RPGs, it's the Gamist's job to adjust their viewpoint to the Narrativists and Simulationists, not the other way around. And frankly, if the Gamists don't like it, they're almost assuredly going to go back to something that better "scratches their itch."

Does this mean that Gamists can't, or shouldn't be accommodated at all? No, but it does mean that the primary focus of RPGs should never primarily be the "G." After having read Edwards' GNS theory, I am even more convinced that while it doesn't need to be wholly ignored, Gamism is and should be subservient to Narrativism and Simulationism in RPG design and play.

Last edited:

Squire James

First Post
Bottom line: After having read Edwards' GNS theory, I am even more convinced that while it doesn't need to be wholly ignored, Gamism is and should be subservient to Narrativism and Simulationism in RPG design and play.

In your gam... um... narrated simulation, maybe. Keep in mind that the G in RPG is the noun, and the RP is but an adjective! A rather important adjective, yes, but not (much) more important than the noun!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would xp you for reading Ron Edwards essays more than once but the site won't let me. It is more than I achieved.

It is a long time since I read the relevant material but I did have the impression that no one was a pure anything in actual play. One tends to be more of one than another but never complely one thing.

I have the impression that gamism as view from the Forge is about beating hte challange presented in the game and a willingsness to use meta-game knowledge to achieve this end.

Crothian

First Post
Does this mean that Gamists can't, or shouldn't be accommodated at all? No, but it does mean that the primary focus of RPGs should never primarily be the "G." After having read Edwards' GNS theory, I am even more convinced that while it doesn't need to be wholly ignored, Gamism is and should be subservient to Narrativism and Simulationism in RPG design and play.

To move this to something more easily discussed what RPGs do you feel are too gamist and should become something else? What writers and designers out there do you feel should alter their approach to game design?

I think The Forge, Ron's essays and some of the old archived threads over there make for some interesting reading.

It's a while since I read them. but I don't think 'winning' is called out as central to Gamism - it's about the 'Step on Up'.

I think the best 'Step on Up' illustration is Paranoia. It's a black, bureaucratic comedy of errors, designed to allow players to churn through characters (because they have six identical clones) and get them all hosed in farcical, idiotic and hilarious ways. I'm sure the rules say 'The more stupid and dangerous the thing a character tries to do, the better chance it should have of succeeding'. That's pure Step on Up - do something stupid and dangerous, do it now.

In Ron Edwards mind, Gamism is "easy, diverse, and unpretentious." Yet pure powergaming, and "munchkin-ing" have long been derided in our hobby. So if Gamism isn't "bad," why is it so difficult to incorporate into many RPGs, and why do the majority of RPGs implicitly or explicitly push back against Gamist tendencies?

IIRC, somewhere on The Forge is quite a detailed section on why Sim and Gamism don't mix. Whether that explanation is meaningful or satisfactory is another topic. But if you accept that there was a pretty heavy weighting to sim design through, say, the 80s, it isn't hard to imagine why gamist tendencies have had perjoratives attached to them.

pemerton

Legend
I don't think 'winning' is called out as central to Gamism - it's about the 'Step on Up'.
I think winning, or something like it, is pretty central to Edwards' conception of gamist play:

Competition is best understood as a productive add-on to Gamist play. Such play is fundamentally cooperative, but may include competition. That's not a contradiction: I'm using exactly the same logic as might be found at the poker and basketball games. You can't compete, socially, without an agreed-upon venue. If the cooperation's details are acceptable to everyone, then the competition within it can be quite fierce.

Role-playing texts never get this straight. For them, it's always either competition or cooperation, one-other, push-pull, and often nonsensical. . .

So what is all this competition business about? It concerns conflict of interest. If person A's performance is only maximized by driving down another's performance, then competition is present. In Gamist play, this is not required - but it is very often part of the picture. Competition gives both Step On Up and Challenge a whole new feel - a bite. . .

I might as well get this over with now: the phrase "Role-playing games are not about winning" is the most widespread example of synecdoche in the hobby. Potential Gamist responses, and I think appropriately, include:

"Eat me,"
(upon winning) "I win," and
"C'mon, let's play without these morons."​

I'm defining "winning" as positive assessment at the Step On Up level. It even applies when little or no competition is going on. It applies even when the win-condition is fleeting. Even if it's unstated. Even if it's no big deal. Without it, and if it's not the priority of play, then no Gamism.​

He does make room for "everyone being a winner" - if there is Step On Up without competition - but suggests that a lot of satisfying gamism will involve competition, and hence losers as well as winners.

I can't reallly agree with this at all. It's hard to judge some one's priorities for play when you're reading a few lines they wrote on a messageboard, but a version of exploration-heavy gamism seems to me the default assumption for play here at ENworld. Every time someone posts, for example, that D&D play without the risk of PC death isn't satisfying, or isn't meaningful, and everyone posts about the importance of scenario design that creates options for "meaningful choice" - where by meaningful choice that mean choices that increase or decrease the risk of PC death, and the likelihood of PC enrichment - they are advocating gamist play.

Gygax himself, in the AD&D PHB, presents a version of gamism - he calls it the ideal of "skillful play" - as the point of playing D&D.

Somewhere in the 80s and 90s simulationism emerged as the dominant priority in (at least mainstream) RPGing, and this Gygaxian stuff got downplayed in D&D rulebooks. But I can't agree gamism in the hobby is somehow less deserving of accommodation.

To finish this post, here is another passage from Edwards' essay, under the heading "The bitterest role-player in the world":

Meet the low-Step On Up, high-Challenge Gamist, with both "little red competition" dials spun down to their lowest settings.

This person prefers a role-playing game that combines Gamist potential with Simulationist hybrid support, such that a highly Explorative Situation can evolve, in-game and without effort, into a Challenge Situation. In other words, the social-level Step On Up "emerges" from the events in-play. This view, and its problematic qualities, are extremely similar to that of the person who wants to see full-blown Narrativist values "just appear" from a Simulationist-play foundation. It's possible, but not as easy and intuitive as it would seem.

His preferred venue for the Gamist moments of play is a small-scale scene or crisis embedded in a larger-scale Exploration that focuses on Setting and Character. In these scenes, he's all about the Crunch: Fortune systems should be easy to estimate, such that each instance of its use may be chosen and embedded in a matrix of strategizing. Point-character construction and menus of independent feats or powers built to resist Powergaming are ideal.

As for playing the character, it's Author Stance all the way. He likes to imagine what "his guy" thinks, but to direct "his guy" actions from a cool and clear Step On Up perspective. The degree of Author Stance is confined to in-game imaginative events alone and doesn't bleed over into Balance of Power issues regarding resolution at all.

Related to the Stance issue, he is vehemently opposed to the Hard Core, even to any hints of it or any exploitable concepts that it seizes upon most easily. For instance, reward system that functions at the metagame level is anathema: not only should solid aesthetics should be primary, but he is rightly leery of the Hard Core eye for such reward systems. "Balance" for him consists of the purity of the Resource system and unbroken Currency. It's consistent with the Simulationist Purist for System values and represents further defenses against the Hard Core.

He probably developed his role-playing preferences in highly-Drifted AD&D2 or in an easily-Drifted version of early Champions, both of which he probably describes as playing "correctly" relative to other groups committed to these games.

This man (I've met no women who fit this description) is cursed. He's cursed because the only people who can enjoy playing with him, and vice versa, are those who share precisely his goals, and these goals are very easily upset by just about any others.

*His heavy Sim focus keeps away the "lite" Gamists who like Exploration but not Simulationism.
*The lack of metagame reward system keeps away most Gamists in general.
*Hard Core Gamists will kick him in the nuts every time, just as they do to Simulationist play.
*Most Simulationist-oriented players won't Step Up - they get no gleam in their eye when the Challenge hits, and some are even happy just to piddle about and "be."
*Just about anyone who's not Gamist-inclined lumps him with "those Gamists" and writes him off.​

I've known several of these guys. They are bitter, I say. Imagine years of just knowing that your "perfect game" is possible, seeing it in your mind, knowing that if only a few other people could just play their characters exactly according to the values that you yourself would play, that your GM-preparation would pay off beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Now imagine years of encountering all the bulleted points above, over and over.​

I agree with Edwards that this is a genuine type. I would add that it is, to some extent, one logical extension of Gygaxian play (but adopting a less metagamey XP system than XP for treasure). While Edwards exaggerates the bitterness for rhetorical effect, if you go to (for example) the ICE boards you will see this sort of approach to play articulated by many posters. And I think it is an approach to play that any design of D&D should at least have in mind as a mode that should be viable.

1Mac

First Post
As I recall, Gamism isn't about the player winning; it's about the character winning. A subtle but crucial distinction!

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I think winning, or something like it, is pretty central to Edwards' conception of gamist play:

So what is all this competition business about? It concerns conflict of interest. If person A's performance is only maximized by driving down another's performance, then competition is present.

Enjoying the read, up until that sentence. This is, in my view, a rather terrible outlook: Competition means doing better than the adversary, not driving it down. Quality competition tends to have the opposite effect: Of driving up the adversary's performance. That is one of the strong benefits of competition.

Anyways, completely derailed my reading.

TomB

The Shaman

First Post
It's hard to judge some one's priorities for play when you're reading a few lines they wrote on a messageboard, but a version of exploration-heavy gamism seems to me the default assumption for play here at ENworld. Every time someone posts, for example, that D&D play without the risk of PC death isn't satisfying, or isn't meaningful, and everyone posts about the importance of scenario design that creates options for "meaningful choice" - where by meaningful choice that mean choices that increase or decrease the risk of PC death, and the likelihood of PC enrichment - they are advocating gamist play.

Gygax himself, in the AD&D PHB, presents a version of gamism - he calls it the ideal of "skillful play" - as the point of playing D&D.

Somewhere in the 80s and 90s simulationism emerged as the dominant priority in (at least mainstream) RPGing, and this Gygaxian stuff got downplayed in D&D rulebooks. But I can't agree gamism in the hobby is somehow less deserving of accommodation.
Thank you for saving me the trouble of crafting a reply. :)

pemerton

Legend
Thank you for saving me the trouble of crafting a reply.
Do you have a view about Edwards' "bitterest roleplayer"? Stripped of Edwards's rhetorical flourishes, I've played with, and GMed for, quite a few of these guys (and they don't have to be bitter!). Heck, in some moods (as a player, not normally a GM) I'm one of them.

I think Rolemaster can suit this sort of play if handled in the right way. I would have thought that 3E could, too, at least in some sort of E6 or similar variant that has ways of handling the "build divergence" at higher levels.

I get the impression that your Flashing Blades game involves a lot of setting exploration, but does it have a gamist edge too?

Remove ads