D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] help with mobile healer build please..

animewatcha

First Post
Homebrew rolls for ability scores. No ToB and havn't 'proved' can be of evil alignment or goody-enough for exalted-things ( so no evil classes, vile feats, etc. ). Planned on half-ogre template ( drag 313 ) on a human with primordial tacked on the half-ogre. If not that then, primordial on half-giant race. Class choice being cloistered cleric of LG deity. Monk ( with holy variant from 310 or so ). If permitted, 2 class levels of paladin ( for cha bonus to saves ). Hoping for 3rd monk sub level for lay on hands instead of still mind. The complete divine turning variant of 1d6/cleric level is not done. Only those 2/3 classes and no else unless variants/subs. If no paladin class, then 1 level in cleric and rest levels in holy monk.

Feats being additional favored class ( if need be ), but mainly sacred healing ( fast healing ), and sacred purification ( burning cleric side turn attempts to fuel). and maybe kung fu genius.

Ilmator was the idea behind the character's deity ( and is requirement for monk lay hands sub level ). However, DMs that I play with accept different deities on a case by case basis ( with a no pelor it seems ). So what non-faerun deities could possibly substitute for ilmater or come close to?

Main idea assuming no party cleric. Often the sessions only on occasion had wizard or pseudo boomstick ( duskblade ). The players generally being the characters they wanna be ( we even had an all melee party once or twice ). I wanna be able to party tactics as needed by making use monk's mobility and added extras ( heal if need by via sacred purification or equipment ). Flanking, trying to trip/disarm ( use up opponent's attack of opportunity since they likely don't have combat reflex on most monsters in my experience ). Possibly even reserving move action for stepping in path of charging mob ( to stop the charge mid-charge ). I do not seek to be main damage dealer, main tank, main anything. Just support/bit of troubleshooter.

So what feat or two and items / domains would supplement turn undead ( not rebuke, Turn. Not seeking to gain more different pools ) and healing. I know multiple healing belts. Night sticks for more turn attempts. Inquis bracers and the cadu bracers. Unicorn pendant / relinquary symbol. Item familiar? Yes? No?

What else would help? What could be a suitable substitute for human but still qualify for half-ogre/prim. Wanting to keep at max LA 1 ( half-ogre ).

Wyvernhand

First Post
First, you would be best with more spells. Healing Hands just isn't gonna cut it past the level you get it. Spells give you more healing, especially with Metamagic.

You don't have to be THAT mobile if you built right. The Divine Ward feat from PHBII will let you cast healing spells at a range of 30' by expending a few turn attempts. That means you can stay close, but not that close.

I'd look into doing more than just healing. More spells will let you buff others. You can also use Dispel Magic to counterspell enemy spells, effectively healing your party by preventing bad spells.

Cleric with Travel Devotion. Use a swift action to move up to your normal speed, and spend turn attempts to use more often. If you're going past 13th level then a single level in Hierophant will get you Divine Reach. The metamagic Reach Spell could also be used if you really needed.

If you really want Divine Grace, look into the Prestige Paladin.

Since you have Dragon Mag available, you might be interested in the Benevolent in 311, page 50. Lots of spontaneous spells will make your job easier. Get a level of Sacred Exorcist and you'll get back Turn Undead. Of note is Heal can be spontaneously cast, which essentially tramples anything Lay on Hands.

How is your Charisma? If it's higher than your Wisdom, I might suggest the Dynamic Priest feat from Dragonlance: Legends of the Twins page 12. It's a great option if you won't be using spells with saves.

As odd as it sounds, Flyby Attack might be useful for you. It'll allow you to cast a spell during a move action. Why taking a standard action during a move isn't possible without a feat is beyond me, but there it is.

The above of course requires getting a fly speed, which can be accomplished in several ways. Magic items like the Wings of Flying will get you a fly speed. Note that there are cheaper and better versions like the Phoenix Cloak on page 210 in the MIC. Other items in there might be useful to you.

You might be able to get some use from the Warlock class. Combine with the Eldritch Disciple and get Healing Blast from it, which will give you a ranged way to heal without even using a spell, though it does require using a Turn attempt. You'll have to be chaotic, but it's a fun option.

If you're going to be Charisma-based, I'd suggest using Half-Giant. It doesn't have a penalty to Charisma.

Lay On Hands is a very poor ability. Since you'll be going Primordial Giant, under normal rules you could start with a 22 Charisma. This is a +6, which means your first level of an LoH class will only get you 6 points. 20 levels at that rate would get you 120 total, while a 15th level caster using Heal will cure 150 HP damage plus a host of other maladies per cast.

It's possible to break past the 150 HP max on Heal with the Reserves of Strength feat from Dragonlance Campaign Setting. The tame interpretation of it is it'd let you go to CL 18, which means 180 HP. The possibly game-breaking interpretation is it allows you to toss any caster level limits on the spell, which means CL builds going into the 40's would get it as high as you'd expect. Becoming immune to stunning is pretty much necessary of course due to the drawback.

Last edited:

Remove ads