CERAMIC DM March 2012

Gregor

First Post
Gregor's Judgement
ROUND I: Match 3
Deuce Traveler's 'Acts of Murder' vs. Piratecat's 'Bullheaded'

[sblock="My disclaimer:"] I am humbled by the talent arrayed before me and I appreciate the opportunity to provide any kind of critique on your work. Having competed in Ceramic DM a couple of times myself, I know that it takes courage to put your thoughts down on paper and then hand that over for public scrutiny. Please keep in mind that my review and judgement of your work comes completely from my personal perpsective and opinions. I am in no way a professional random-picture-driven-short-story reviewer. I also realize that in criticizing your stories I set myself up for your own counter judgement and criqique (e.g. how can I judge your use of grammar when I make mistakes myself?). Please take my judgement with a grain of salt and know that I respect the creativity, hard work and imagination of everyone in this competition. And now, onto the judgements.[/sblock]

Writing Style & Skill

Well … I suppose saying that you’re both really great writers won’t suffice, so let us nit-pick in order to fill this section :)

Deuce Traveller gives us a relatively well-written piece which is told primarily in the past tense and includes good characterization. It serves well as a read from someone’s journal. There were a few awkward sentences, but nothing too glaring. Additionally, I picked up on one or two stunted transitions. Of particular note, for me, was the immediate aftermath of Gallindor’s magical onslaught. I anticipated some instant shock and awe from the troops, considering that they were spooked merely by his presence (let alone summoning angels and raining fire!). Instead, the scene moves to the next chapter. Some fleshing out of the transition would have improved the flow.

Piratecat similarly dishes up a well-written story dominated by quality dialogue and strong characterization. The first change in scene feels a tiny bit wand-waved in that we are immediately snatched away at the mention of a dragon catching up to Ant and Asterion, for we do not meet the character until later and there are no signs of its presence or the damage it may have wrought when we see our main characters in the next scene. Some reference to that altercation would have tied those scenes together a bit more tightly (e.g. When Ant looks over at the sleeping Asterion, perhaps we see a scratch or something from the chase or fight that takes place off camera?).

I’m definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things wrong with these pieces. They were both top notch in the writing department.

Use of the Photo Elements

Deuce Traveller, you used the pictures quite well and each was utilized as a central component of your tale. There was some overemphasis on restating the details in the images themselves (Gallindor’s tower), but you recovered very nicely by focusing on one of the statues in the first image and making it a dynamic piece on its own. I also liked that the waterfall and marsh was used a central set piece at a pivotal moment in your story.

Piratecat, I think you did a bang up job of using elements in the pictures to play key set and character roles in your story. I was particularly impressed by your choice to siphon your main characters out of our obviously wacky image of statues against a green wall. Additionally, the horse cup turns out to be a main plot element that is referenced multiple times long before you physically use it as an illustration in the tale. Lastly, I also appreciated how the waterfall image was spun around a bit and used as a jutting peak of rock leaking seawater – it hammered home the mythology that you played upon in the story (though more on that below).

Personal Enjoyment

Acts of Murder resonated with me instantly. Perhaps it is because it was our first traditional fantasy tale, because I appreciated the D&D concepts woven into fiction, or because I could see this as an entry in a retired commander’s memoirs. Regardless, I think you put something compelling together and I enjoyed the read. I particularly liked how it discusses interesting issues that we as players and GMs discuss on a regular basis (Wizards with 9th level spells can indeed rule kingdoms, but they could not balance the books, handle logistics, deal with diplomacy, etc.) and Gallindor himself as a character was masterful. Specifically I liked how you changed the way he behaved from someone perceived as a madman to a sagacious wizard once the burden of memorized spells was over. It was clever and something I think I would strive to copy when roleplaying a spell caster in the future. Lastly, I also enjoyed the ending discussion about the philosophy of magic. It was well written, interesting, believable and just generally very well done. In fact, it was the cherry on top for me in this piece.

Bullheaded was a really great story. The whole twist on mythology was fantastic and there were some genuine laughs made by this judge in his cubicle field whilst reading instead of working. The scene where Ant first converses with Jason from the window sill was particularly funny for me. The ongoing dialogue and repartee between Ant and Asterion is nothing short of genius. In fact, Ant and Asterion himself inspired a new NPC for my game (which I’ll stash in my brain for now): a drunken thieving minotaur and his mindful, wise and witty homunculus companion who tries to keep him out of trouble (hope you don’t mind if I poach that idea!). I also enjoyed some of the little details you wrote into this story: Poseidon’s poison/curse taking on aspects of the sea; the referencing of the sailors searching for Ant and Asterion in the conversation between Ant and Gull; the mention of Asterion’s horn still lodged in the dragon; etc. These details brought the tale to life and closed the loop on references you made earlier in the piece. There was a touch of sadness and forgiveness in this story that I didn’t see coming. It caught me by surprise in a story so filled with wit, but it was an excellent addition and I felt elated that Ant, Asterion and Gull all came together in the end for a common cause.

Final Verdict:

This was yet another case of two really great writers (which has been and will obviously continue to be the case for this Ceramic DM): one who spins a high fantasy story laced with philosophic questions and interesting thoughts on weaving D&D tropes into fiction; and, one who crafts a comedic yet poignant spin on classical mythology packed with strong dialogue and characterizations.

Yet another case of judge’s anxiety and internal debate! :)

In the end, I chose the writer who I thought edged the other out in picture use and in my own personal enjoyment.

Through nail bitten fingers, I type in my vote for Piratecat.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'll wait until the final judge has weighed in before commenting, but Gregor, thank you for the detailed, incredibly useful analysis. I'm honored. And your point about expecting Asterion to have wounds in the inn room is so very obvious in retrospect that I can't believe I missed it!

More later.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, and I am glad that Gallindor is going to have influence in your game too. As it looks like the hook-handed seaman has the edge here, I can at least be happy that the tale had some lasting influence on the reviewers thus far.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Wild Gazebo vs. SteelDraco:
[sblock]**Wild Gazebo - Summer Spark O Magic**
*Grammar, etc.* - great - 9/10 (While the general tone allowed for technically incorrect grammar, there were a couple actual mistakes I believe).
*Creativity* - Great mix of different aspects - old timer and magic and fairies and structured society. There were a couple places where their cohabitation seemed a little strained, but only a little. Very nice! - 9/10
* Picture Use* - The house was the beginning location and a main plot device. The chess piece drove the story a bit, though the floating in blackness part seemed like it was forced to exactly match the picture. The ant as a fairy was a wonderful tough. The underwater-ish aspect of the under-house world was a way to use the underwater picture without actually being in the water, and I think fairly well done....7/10
*All around* - Mostly great flow, though there was a part in the middle where the first person voice seemed like it was suddenly more...eloquent. Lost some of the drawl and used a lot more grammar and vocabulary. The general tone and the transition to the fairy under-house world was great. I really liked that the fairies had a structured society when compared to the human old-timer. Very fun read! - 7/10
*Final Analysis* - I think you did a great job putting a lot of disparate ideas together into one, and I really enjoyed the different slants and ways in which the elements contrasted. Really great ideas! Unfortunately there were some points that the suspended disbelief was strained.
**SCORE: 8/10**

**SteelDraco - No Title**
*Grammar, etc.* - great - 9/10 (Tim instead of Time, and not sure what You're never 40 means).
*Creativity* - The mystical world of alchemy mixed with mental projection - exciting stuff! And mixed with the supernatural was the normalcy of a cleaning woman. The fountain of youth, stolen from people through the mouth of ants...excellent! - 9/10
* Picture Use* - The ants were vitally important throughout the story, excellent job there. The house was the setting and well described at one place. It's hard to say it was not well used because it was the location for most of the story. Maybe it was the least-good used one. The chess piece as the game mixed with the queen ant was inspirational! The heads of the victims at the bottom of the sea was also great...8/10
*All around* - Gripping to read. Character development and story progression and plot thickening. Very well written story with a logical ending. Not gripping surprise, but great ideas and did not see most of it coming (though some was a bit obvious). Wonderful job! - 8/10
*Final Analysis* - I thoroughly enjoyed the reading of the story. I felt close to the characters, The end line 'he'd never have the strength to die' was profound. A couple bits seemed jumpy, but that's only a minor criticism. Great job!
**SCORE: 8.5/10**

My Pick: **SteelDraco** by a nose, for slightly better picture use and because the flow of the story was a bit more even.
[/sblock]

Thanks for the critique!!

[sblock]

You seem to be doing some very fair reviews.

I would be curious to know how you grade your picture use though. Your highest grade for a contestant so far was indecipherable to me compared to others. I mean if it is a key plot point, integrates well, isn't just a description of something in the story, and furthers the tale...I would grade it quite well. Is there something else...or are you using a half technical/half preference type of yardstick?

I bring this up because I thought it was by far my strongest attribute to my story. Unfortunately this was my unedited first draft...due to an unforeseen trip for family reasons. There is a ton of typos and grammatical errors (that are kinda hidden because of the dialect) the story doesn't really have any conflict...it is more of a Virgil through the Lookinglass type of thing, and I was unable to go back and finish the ending like I wanted to.

There was a significant problem when I came to some words like 'ambient' that should have been 'amb'nt'; but, I hadn't decided where clarity meets dialect (Something I was going to resolve in an edit). Because the narrator has a very large vocabulary with a very strong dialect.

So, I was really surprised to see my Grammar and Creativity at 9 and my Picture Use at 7. That confused me. The rushed disjointedness would obviously affect my All Around...I understood that. I thought for sure I would get a 5 or lower on grammar.

I pretty much gave up on passing the round by the time I got home...and just barely managed to get it posted on time. But I would be curious as to your method. Or perhaps some thoughts on accessibly...did you have to go back and start reading again when you realized it wasn't poor grammar but a written dialect?

Thanks for your review! I really appreciate the time you took.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hellefire

First Post
Thanks for the critique!!

[sblock]

You seem to be doing some very fair reviews.

I would be curious to know how you grade your picture use though. Your highest grade for a contestant so far was indecipherable to me compared to others. I mean if it is a key plot point, integrates well, isn't just a description of something in the story, and furthers the tale...I would grade it quite well. Is there something else...or are you using a half technical/half preference type of yardstick?

I bring this up because I thought it was by far my strongest attribute to my story. Unfortunately this was my unedited first draft...due to an unforeseen trip for family reasons. There is a ton of typos and grammatical errors (that are kinda hidden because of the dialect) the story doesn't really have any conflict...it is more of a Virgil through the Lookinglass type of thing, and I was unable to go back and finish the ending like I wanted to.

There was a significant problem when I came to some words like 'ambient' that should have been 'amb'nt'; but, I hadn't decided where clarity meets dialect (Something I was going to resolve in an edit). Because the narrator has a very large vocabulary with a very strong dialect.

So, I was really surprised to see my Grammar and Creativity at 9 and my Picture Use at 7. That confused me. The rushed disjointedness would obviously affect my All Around...I understood that. I thought for sure I would get a 5 or lower on grammar.

I pretty much gave up on passing the round by the time I got home...and just barely managed to get it posted on time. But I would be curious as to your method. Or perhaps some thoughts on accessibly...did you have to go back and start reading again when you realized it wasn't poor grammar but a written dialect?

Thanks for your review! I really appreciate the time you took.
[/sblock]

[sblock]
I put grammar use at 9 because I saw that it was the character...accent...that required the use of drawl spelling and grammar, and I dug that...I considered putting it lower because there were a couple places that looked like mistakes as opposed to the character, but I wasn't sure on those areas, in some others I was fairly sure there were a couple mistakes. I put creativity at 9 because the story used a number of different elements (modern-ish life, fairy world, elder point of view and speech and structured society points of view all mixed together). Not extremely high wow factor, but impressive. I put picture use are 7 because I felt the use of everything looking underwater-ish as being a clever way to work around an underwater picture, but also a bit of cheating, the house was a main element but described more on the inside than from the picture, yet the chess piece you described including the background (the blackness around it) as you did the heads picture (couldn't see the edges of the room). Because of this I deducted a couple points. 9 is almost always the most I will give (if all of the pictures are used in an integral way to the story, in an important fashion, and there aren't any other main images I think I would want to see for that story). I may give a 10, but very rarely. Does that make more sense?
[/sblock]

Mirth

Explorer
I'm not trying to do a fake out here, but my judgment will be at least a couple more hours in the making. RL threw me a curveball the last two days and then when I had free time this afternoon, the power went out. Working feverishly to get it done and my apologies for the delay. I will be posting forthwith!

Remove ads