CERAMIC DM March 2012

Mirth

Explorer
Mirth - Judgment

Round 1, Match 3

Deuce vs. Piratecat

Very well done and very long pieces for this tired judge ;) But all's well that's written well...

Style -- Deuce Traveler gives us the story of a clash between a career military officer and a seemingly crackpot wizard. The tensions run high, the action is brisk and fierce and the soft moments are nice and poignant. Against this mostly serious tale, Piratecat gives us the epic farce of a flatulent, drunk bull-man with daddy issues. As much as I understand and appreciate the craft of Deuce Traveler's tale, I found it stilted at times, becoming almost textbook-like when Gallindor gives his lecture on the nature of magic. It's interesting as a world-building gamer handbook, but not so much as a story. Piratecat's more irreverent tone served the story better by making the words fly by and keeping the chuckles coming. Very witty yet very broad humor at the same time.

Picture use -- Sadly, I felt that many of the pictures in Deuce Traveler's story were tacked on, or at the very least incidental to the plot. Gallindor's tower is described in passing, the horse-head cup is mostly a throwaway (although it is used nicely but briefly at the end), the angel woman could easily have been anything else, and only the watery swamp came close to being an integral part of the tale. Piratecat, on the other hand, used the pictures in very ingenious ways. Making the one-horned minotaur and the small imp statues into the focal characters of the story was a brilliant move. The horse-head cup drove the main part of the plot, the angel woman was a major foil, and the watery swamp as the entrance to Poseidon's realm was very well handled.

Personal connection -- I love me some bizarro wizards and grumpy legionnaires on a goblin hunt, but I guess a puking, farting minotaur speaks to the inner me.

Final judgment - The Traveler's travels have ended :(

My nod for Round 1, Match 3 goes to … PIRATECAT!

(Now I'm headed for the pillow, but I will be around tomorrow to hand out some more punishme … err … judgments, so hopefully the wait won't be so long for the rest of you.)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Darn! I even had my next story's first chapter outlined:

"The older, whiskered pirate groaned in his bed as the ship rocked. He had spent the last few hours with his rigging, but could only get it up to half-mast despite his struggles. Because it was a solo effort, he had thrown out his hip; a situation not uncommon amongst older seamen..."

In all seriousness I wanted to say congrats to Pirate Cat. I jumped at an opportunity to be paired against him as he often makes it to the final round in these contests. I felt that if I could beat him in round 1 it would have been a great accomplishment, and if not I would have at least learned a thing or two. He is an excellent writer, and I advise readers to peruse his very well done detective short stories. In this recent piece of his, the decision to use the imp and leaning bull as main characters in that locale picture was brilliant and an opportunity that my own imagination did not pick up upon. I've taken the critiques to heart and hope to compete stronger next time. I have no regrets, thoroughly enjoyed myself, and am thankful for the opportunity the judges and Pirate Cat have given me.

Congratulations to the feline shipmate. Your unanimous victory was well earned and I look forward to reading your next whimsical tale.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wow. Deuce Traveler, I'm really honored to have gone up against you. This is one where I think picture use made the difference, not quality of writing. Your gritty style is really fun to read, and you wrote a gripping and interesting story.

When I got the photos I considered, and rejected, using the minotaur as a protagonist. Then I noticed he sort of looked like he was peeing, and then I noticed that he was painted with a gold dress. "Dress?" I thought. "Or FLEECE?" After that, everything fell into place. I had a lot of trouble with the waterfall until I realized it could be rising up, and that brought me back to Poseidon as "earth-shaker." Suddenly, reading all those Robert Graves books about bull-dancing paid off.

Anyways, thank you everyone. The suggestions and feedback have been really useful.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
Congratulations, P-Kitty! I love your imagination...and your accents...but mostly your imagination. I preferred Deuce's story, but you are right, picture use seemed to be the component that pushed you through. Well done. :)

Remove ads