D&D 4th Edition Suggest Your "Rule of Three" Questions for Next Week (4/17)

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Suggest Your "Rule of Three" Questions for Next Week (4/17)

A quick message from WotC, which is reaching out to the EN World community this week for its pool of "Rule of Three" questions. Rule of Three is a weekly article on D&D Insider where Rodney Thompson answers three questions - usually about D&D Next, occasionally about 4th Edition.
    Hey all. Usually we grab questions for the Rule of Three articles from ongoing conversations in the various D&D and RPG communities, but I wanted to try something different. This week I wanted to reach out directly and see if you guys had any questions about design or development for 4E or D&D Next.

We can't really tackle questions about the business side of things (ex: Are you going to do something like the OGL for Next?) the future of digital tools or organized play, or specifics about future product releases. So we're sticking to design and development questions.

With that in mind, please reply with whatever design and development questions you may have for 4E or D&D Next. It's unlikely I'll be answering any of them here, but I will be adding those that fit into the above criteria into the pool of questions Rodney takes a stab at for the weekly article.
    To make it easier for the WotC folks to sift through, please be aware that this is not a discussion thread. You are welcome to post questions in this thread, but we'll be deleting anything that's not a question. That way, WotC can simply look at an easy-to-read list.
    Last edited by Morrus; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I Defended The Walls! Pathfinder D&D

Ignore weem
    Let's see if I can condense my question a bit...

Q: What will the difference be between "modularized" campaign specific rules/info, and a proper "Campaign Setting" (book)?

Thoughts behind the question...

Essentially, it sounds like there probably won't be new campaign setting books put out (Ravenloft, Dragonlance, etc) but rather that some of the rules etc behind a few of them will be available as separate "modules" (or, "options").

The first thing I think is, "Well, isn't that what a Campaign Setting book is? A seperate book of information specific to a world that is not necessarily part of the core rules?" - but since that seems a bit obvious, I get the feeling that it will likely appear as rule bits released digitally only. So anyway, I guess I'm wondering if that's the case.

Thanks Trevor

In 3.x and 4e, PCs could end up with a large number of temporary buff spells and effects that could be difficult to track. What are the designers considering to prevent buffs from becoming a major tracking headache?

-KS

Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls! Columnist

Ignore Radiating Gnome
    For players who love the 4e style of AEDU powers and very tactically complex combat, how will the new edition support their style of play? What variations have you explored? What did you discover?

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Boarstorm
    How much (if at all) do the poll results influence design?
    If my post comes off as unnecessarily snarky, it's because I have a disability.

I'm a chronic smart@$$.

Sent this as an e-mail earlier, but I'll retype it here to maximize my chances of being picked.

As a player of 3rd edition, for me and my group one of the annoyances of mid and high levels are buff spells. Preparing for combat often takes almost as long as the combat itself ("which buff spells do we cast on whom? how long do they last? In which round of preparation do we cast what spell? What is my new attack bonus now?..."). So my question is: Have you had any thoughts on what the future of buff spells in dndnext might look like?

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries
    OSRIC I Defended The Walls! Gygax Memorial Fund

Ignore Leif
    Deleted as indicated in the initial post. Please stick to questions. Thanks. - Morrus
    Last edited by Leif; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

At PAX Mearls stated that the best way to have our voices heard in the development process would be participating in the playtest. Until now this has been a very limited experience and virtually inaccessible to everybody not in the USA. Is there a plan to include international players in this process?

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Thalionalfirin
    It's been said that multiclassing is going to resemble 3rd edition.

Will there be options for a 1e/2e type of hybrid/gestalt multiclass system?

Defender (Lvl 8)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Bagpuss
    Will it be possible to play without feats and/or skills? IE: Are they going to be an optional module or are they core?

My RPG Stuff - Free D20 Modern GM's Screen available.
    Wolfgang Baur I cheated your room.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast