BDKR1 The Unofficial Living Greyhawk Bandit Kingdoms Summary

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm somewhat shocked that this doesn't seem to have been reported here, so I'm starting a thread on it.

Very recently, one of the region coordinators in the RPGA's now-defunct Living Greyhawk campaign released the first of a three-volume set summarizing and discussing his what happened in his region, the Bandit Kingdoms, during the eight years of the campaign.

The book presents an overview of how Living Greyhawk worked, gives a brief overview of every Living Greyhawk adventure that took place in the Bandit Kingdoms regions (including specials, convention-only modules, cross-region modules, and others, but not Core modules) along with commentary, and cross-indexes them by adventure path (e.g. the often-brief series of adventures that various modules belonged to), by location, and by campaign timeline, along with a few other things thrown in for good measure.

The book can be purchased at Amazon in physical format as well as for Kindle. I got my copy yesterday, and highly recommend it to all Greyhawk fans!

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's only about 80 pages long. Is it all summary text?

Is there detail of what certain playgroups did and how that impacted things? Or is it more of a general overview?

Bought it. My Greyhawk campaign isn't in the Bandit Kingdoms, but more GH 3e stuff is worth a look for $10.

I'm thinking it may be in trouble with WOTC since it's "unofficial", so I decided to buy now rather than wait and see!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's only about 80 pages long.

"Only"? :p

Is it all summary text? Is there detail of what certain playgroups did and how that impacted things? Or is it more of a general overview?

The vast majority of the book is summary text of the adventures set in the Bandit Kingdoms region. That said, between the footnotes and the commentaries on various adventures, the author does talk about places where the players impacted the campaign, such as Ulfar the dwarf's last stand, a time when the groups failed to liberate a city from Iuzian control, and the infamous "Sage of Rookroost" (whose mocking letter to Jumper is reprinted in full).

haakon1 said:
I'm thinking it may be in trouble with WOTC since it's "unofficial", so I decided to buy now rather than wait and see!

I thought that too, but I saw on another forum that one of the contributors said that the author had done his homework on the legalities of the book, and that it shouldn't attract any trouble from WotC. I hope he's right.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Just a quick update to say that Amazon is now listing the book's physical format as being out of print, and its CreateSpace page says the title is no longer for sale.

The Amazon Kindle version, however, is still available.

Big Mac

Explorer
I saw on another forum that one of the contributors said that the author had done his homework on the legalities of the book, and that it shouldn't attract any trouble from WotC. I hope he's right.

Being "totally legal" might not help if WotC sent a Cease and Desist letter to CreateSpace (who have also been supplying physical copies to Amazon.com) and they lost their bottle and decided not to print any more.

Just a quick update to say that Amazon is now listing the book's physical format as being out of print, and its CreateSpace page says the title is no longer for sale.

The Amazon Kindle version, however, is still available.

This is the second time it went out of print. It also went out of print on the 25th of April. But that time the message from CreateSpace was different.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is the second time it went out of print. It also went out of print on the 25th of April. But that time the message from CreateSpace was different.

Thanks for the link. A quick perusal shows (in a post from you, in fact) that a C&D was issued. :(

One of the posters there makes a (rather self-righteous) claim that he was the one who alerted WotC to this and got the C&D issued, and further threatens that "knowingly purchasing an illegal product is potentially actionable under US copyright law as well." (He then follows this up with an ominous statement, "The comments here show very clearly that everyone purchasing this product before it was killed knew, or had a strong suspicion that the book was not on the up and up.")

Of course, a C&D is not the same thing as finding something to be a criminal act, and as I posted above there were some (vague) assurances that the book was indeed on the up-and-up.

But even so, if I vanish in the near future, please rescue me from Guantanamo Bay! ;)

qstor

Adventurer
One of the posters there makes a (rather self-righteous) claim that he was the one who alerted WotC to this and got the C&D issued, and further threatens that "knowingly purchasing an illegal product is potentially actionable under US copyright law as well." (He then follows this up with an ominous statement, "The comments here show very clearly that everyone purchasing this product before it was killed knew, or had a strong suspicion that the book was not on the up and up.")

Where on Facebook? I don't know that much about copy right but I doubt the copyright expired for the WOTC/TSR IP property. And the author's claim that its an academic work probably doesn't hold much water. Never the less I wish him all the best.

Mike

Remove ads