Save or suck Medusa petrification

Stalker0

Legend
For those who hate the depetrify potion, just change it that the blood of a medusa can undo the stoning effect (common knowledge in Dnd world). That way you get your potions effect without the weird flavor.

I'm personally fine with the scary stoning effect with the ability to avert your eyes. I think the surprise factor might be too strong though.

Mircoles

Explorer
I definitely prefer the 4e method. It's more of a nail biter and won't cause a one round tpk.

The medusa in the Caves of Chaos encounter definitely has great potential for a one round tpk.

As for the vial of depetrification, the medusa is female and does have a place to hide a small vial. A place hard to check with a bunch of irritated snakes trying to bite your eyeballs out.

vagabundo

Adventurer
For those who hate the depetrify potion, just change it that the blood of a medusa can undo the stoning effect (common knowledge in Dnd world). That way you get your potions effect without the weird flavor.

In myth the blood from the left side was said to be able to bring back the dead and the blood from the right side was said to be a deadly poison.

Or maybe that was the other way around. lol that's a deadly mistake.

I'm personally fine with the scary stoning effect with the ability to avert your eyes. I think the surprise factor might be too strong though.

And medusas should be able to get surprise most of the time. Unless the PC's are going to pepper every lone female with arrows at one hundred paces.

But in 4e there you can´t just avert the eyes.

Clever play should be rewarded. And stupid play should be punished. I could live with a "warning round"

like first safe: paralyzed
second round: petrified

and then someone disrupting your eaye contact allowing for a new save...

vagabundo

Adventurer

Clever play should be rewarded. And stupid play should be punished. I could live with a "warning round"

I could live with that. It would make for a nice encounter, especially if she had some Grimlock buddies to add to the mix.

Walking Dad

First Post

What clever play? Averting your eyes is the no-brainer. If there is only one reasonable reaction, it hasn't anything to do with cleverness.

Yeah, but not beeing able to do anything is bad game design.

Also players who never played could figure out that it has something to do with looking in their eyes and avert them.

I especially like the 3 possibilities against medusa in 3.x:

look, avert, close eyes.

With different risks and penalties.

Hussar

Legend

Now this is a very cool idea. Loads of flavour. Yoink.

What clever play? Averting your eyes is the no-brainer. If there is only one reasonable reaction, it hasn't anything to do with cleverness.
Agreed. Using a mirror is similarly not clever, it's de rigueur.

Knowing the trick to defeat a particular monster is not "clever", a I understand the word.

Remove ads