• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk's Ki Ability - Ki Strike

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
This may have been discussed already, but I wanted to revisit it, if that is the case, so it's fresh in my brain.

Audra Frost is level 4, and as such has a decent Ki Pool (yay, Ki Mystic!). The Monk class description of the Ki Strike doesn't mention that using it (so that a Monk's attacks are considered magical for purpose of defeating DR) requires a Ki Point to be expended. Other uses of Ki Power do specify, however I wanted to seek clarification before the situation arises for her to make attacks again to see if it is as stated:

As long as the Monk has 1 ki point in their Ki Pool they can make Ki Strikes with their Unarmed Attacks (reads as if it doesn't require a Ki Point to be spent to use the ability)

Qik

First Post
Basically, as long as a monk has 1 Ki point left, their attacks automatically Ki Strike. So at level 4, all IUSs made by a monk with at least 1 Ki point count as magic weapons for overcoming damage resistance. So yes, no expenditure of Ki is required.

At least, that's how I read it.

Remove ads