D&D (2024) (+) Hopes for The Monk

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
As for the laser blasts and cloud flying all that - these are all different concepts, some from very different places.
Just on this, not really. Except for the 'killing with one strike' thing, the rest is just.... Sun Wukong. The Monkey King. Great Sage Equal to Heaven. Those are just, things he could do, not even due to him being the Stone Monkey and all. And this is before we even get to the 72 transformations, or the cloning, or the obtaining immortality multiple times. I mean, yeah, doesn't use the eye lasers pretty much past his birth, but that ended up getting mixed with other stuff and leading to Goku, who's just a take on Sun Wukong.

'How well can I simulate the idea of just going full sun wukong' is probably a drive to how people would go for when it comes to monk stuff.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just on this, not really. Except for the 'killing with one strike' thing, the rest is just.... Sun Wukong. The Monkey King. Great Sage Equal to Heaven. Those are just, things he could do, not even due to him being the Stone Monkey and all. And this is before we even get to the 72 transformations, or the cloning, or the obtaining immortality multiple times. I mean, yeah, doesn't use the eye lasers pretty much past his birth, but that ended up getting mixed with other stuff and leading to Goku, who's just a take on Sun Wukong.

'How well can I simulate the idea of just going full sun wukong' is probably a drive to how people would go for when it comes to monk stuff.
And a great way to take one or two subclasses that focus on going wild with magic powers from within.

For the most part, the class can just as well model a Spanish diestro duelist of the school of the magic circle or the “True Art”, La Verdadera Destreza.

I considered diestro as a class name for my variant monk, but I think I’ve oddly enough come around to kensei, because a satisfying single word name for the concept is really hard to find in a European language. Multi-word terms suck As names.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really wish we had got a monk playtest this time, at least a peak at what they’re considering.

They’ve talked about making it more global, and bringing more global influence to all the classes, but so far I don’t think we have seen anything on that.

Lojaan

Hero

The Monkey King is a god tho. And before that he was a powerful supernatural creature. And as well as being a great fighter he is a powerful sorcerer. It's kind of his thing is that he is better than everybody at everything. Plus, there is that tricky thing about his fancy golden armor... He's like the god of multiclassing lol.

Last edited:

Remove ads