3.x Arcane Healing Spells

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The list no doubt exists someplace (although my google-fu keeps turning up bits and pieces instead of one compiled list) So I figured I'd pick your brains for the non-complicated (not exploiting loopholes or difficult character builds, etc) ways an arcane caster can heal.

*This list obviously is ignoring the Bard.
**Some of these options appear in more than one sourcebook.

And so:
-Arcane Disciple Feat, [Healing Domain] (Complete Divine p.79)
-Arcane Toughness feat (PHB II p.75)
-Light of Venya (level 3 spell, Planar Handbook p.100)
-Healing Touch (Level 3 spell, Spell Compendium p111)
-Synostodweomer (Level 7 spell, Spell Compendium p.218)
-Repair spells for Warforged/construct characters (Levels 0-3, SpC p.173)
-Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords (Level 5 sorc. only spell, Dragon Magic p.74)
-Horde Life (Level 4 Sorc. only spell, Races of the Dragon p.113)

Can anyone add to this list?

Trouvere

Explorer
Magic of the Land feat (Races of the Wild) adds 2 HP/spell level of healing to any unaligned non-Necromancy spell with a successful Knowledge (nature) check. Conditions may apply.

Recaster (Races of Eberron) and Wyrm Wizard (Dragon Magic) have class features which add a spell from any class list to that of whichever class they are used to advance. One classic is to grab Heal as a 5th level spell from the Adept list (this also ties in with War Weaver's eldritch tapestry).

In core/SRD:
Polymorph restores HP as from an overnight rest.
Shapechange, referencing Polymorph
Summon Monster VI, bralani, CSW at will
Summon Monster VII, avoral, lay on hands for 66 HP
Summon Monster VIII, lillend, CLW as bard
Summon Monster IX, couatl, CMW as 'sorcerer'
Summon Monster IX, leonal, CCW 3/day, Heal 1/day
Gate - what can't it solve?
Limited Wish
Wish
Vampiric Touch on an enemy, for self-healing only, or - fairly recklessly - Greater Heroism on an ally for temporary hit points, followed by Vampiric Touch
Dweomer of Transference or Mental Pinnacle, converting arcane power into psionic, which might be used for healing, conceivably.

Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) gains charnel touch at 1st level, which can be used to heal undead or those with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat (Libris Mortis) for 1 to 5 hp per round, at will.

Last edited:

Just checking, if you had the 'scribe scroll' feat and the arcane disciple feat, could you create scrolls of healing.

And I think you can learn a spell from reading the scroll, so through that method, transfer (a few) healing spells to your spell book, which would be interesting?

Same rout, just more uses of the method (If it works) Doesnt seem very RAI

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
In core/SRD:
Shapechange, referencing Polymorph

Summon Monster IX, leonal, CCW 3/day, Heal 1/day

Shapechange gives Su abilities, so you gain lay on hands of the avoral / leonal (common sense is to cap it per day by *your* max hp total...)

The Leonal also has lay on hands equal to its max hp per day, on top of the spell-like abilities for healing.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Just checking, if you had the 'scribe scroll' feat and the arcane disciple feat, could you create scrolls of healing.

And I think you can learn a spell from reading the scroll, so through that method, transfer (a few) healing spells to your spell book, which would be interesting?

Same rout, just more uses of the method (If it works) Doesnt seem very RAI
...I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work RAW. Huh.

Trouvere

Explorer
...I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work RAW. Huh.
I don't think it quite works. A caster with Arcane Disciple and Scribe Scroll can create many scrolls of these domain spells, and cast as many of them as he has to hand in one day. That works, certainly.

But the feat says that the domain spells are learned "as normal for your class", so for a wizard each must be scribed into the spellbook in the first place. The third clause of the feat, that you may prepare each domain spell only once in a day, still applies, and it cannot be bypassed by making another copy from a self-made scroll. That just gives two copies in a spellbook, and it would be a very soft-hearted DM who said "okay, so you want to prepare this copy once, and that copy once, fine."

But in any case, pity the Sorcerer who still has to spend a spell known on each domain spell he desires.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I don't think it quite works. A caster with Arcane Disciple and Scribe Scroll can create many scrolls of these domain spells, and cast as many of them as he has to hand in one day. That works, certainly.

But the feat says that the domain spells are learned "as normal for your class", so for a wizard each must be scribed into the spellbook in the first place. The third clause of the feat, that you may prepare each domain spell only once in a day, still applies, and it cannot be bypassed by making another copy from a self-made scroll. That just gives two copies in a spellbook, and it would be a very soft-hearted DM who said "okay, so you want to prepare this copy once, and that copy once, fine."

But in any case, pity the Sorcerer who still has to spend a spell known on each domain spell he desires.
I'd not argue with any DM that would rule as you did, or otherwise against a Wizard expanding upon his domain spell access.
And yes, again Sorcerers get no love.

If I was the DM, I would be reluctant to allow it.

It doesnt seem RAI, which I place more value in than mechanics. I think its almost certainly an abuse of it.

However, if the character was a thruge, already blurring the lines, there is a situation I would be tempted to let them slide using the idea.

Now, a wizard is ment to seek out spells from the four corners of the globe, so if they could cast such spells, it certainly fits the flavour of many wizards to try day and night to create and learn such spells. As it is possible, if I where to allow it, I would raise the DC by 1.5 times to learn the spell, and require their knowledge religion and spell craft check to be used, whichever was lower.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
One classic is to grab Heal as a 5th level spell from the Adept list (this also ties in with War Weaver's eldritch tapestry).

I'd missed Adepts getting heal at 5th, which was frustrating for me because I typically play Bards. You can get mass heal as an 8th level spell from either Healer or Shugenja, as well, if you're a full spellcaster.

Remove ads