The Healing Paradox

Arbanax

First Post
Without seeking to be ignorant, or downplay this discussion, personally I don't know what the problem is. If the DM makes the final ruling (esp in DnDNext) go ahead and have a more gritty game, with harder to come by healing. But for most people as Wexter and indeed others have said,

"Push on or rest up?" - That's the question every party and player will be facing and what I believe is the crux of the problem.

Id' rather not press the pause button every time the heroes retreat for healing for several months or finding ways of letting the story go on despite this. After all its is about the heroes - isn't that why we play? In addition because players get attached to their PC's and in a grittier harder to come by healing type game, I imagine most will stop at nothing to retreat from danger to stay healthy.

In my limited experience, most gamers I've known, would say, "we've come to play, lets get on with it." They don't have time for months of micro managing wounds and healing between dungeons. But there is nothing to stop people doing it there way?

Without wishing to be disparaging, I really don't understand the angst over this issue, do it you way and in addition lets have room for the people like me who'd also want something like the current system as well.

Peace

Ab

Li Shenron

Legend
If it doesn't happen very much, and when it does happen it is so severe as to immediately prompt dealing with it--it isn't really much of a threat. Thus, I'd put such a system more in the realm of that illusionism that I mentioned early--atmosphere, not reality. If the players are walking around with this feeling that, "what we are doing is risky, because we could get knocked down to zero and then take 1d6 to a key stat," but in practice it doesn't mean they spend much time adventuring with an actual penalty, then it seems to me like a lot of mechanical hoop jumping for mere atmosphere. But then, I'm not one that generally appreciates such mechanics--more dreaded in theory than practice. :D

That's a lot like an AD&D wizard spellbook that never gets stolen because the DM doesn't have the heart to mess with the wizard player that way. One of the keys to making such mechanics hurt is to make them not hurt so much that people will go to great lengths to avoid them.

Uhm... I don't understand if incomplete healing is wanted because of atmosphere/realism or because people actually like having the extra challenge. I was rather assuming the first, but I'm not sure...

The OP pointed out that the PCs normally can just cast all their remaining healing spells at the end of the day and then some on the next day, or in the worst case take a day off and heal everyone. This is for groups that clearly do not like continuining the adventure with a disadvantage. To such a group I just suggest to go ahead with the full-healing nightly rest.

But I think there are also many groups which would like damage to be somehow "lingering on" in the following days, but clearly they don't want to feel stupid by purposefully not using healing spells that they could - so this is the actualy problem even if you do not use the full-healing nightly rest.

I suggested ability damage because it is less easy to heal, however typically (at least in 3ed) it just means to delay the problem to later levels, at which point also all ability damage can be healed with one spell. But maybe it is also more acceptable to heal easily at high level.

Anyway, the idea is not really like the spellbook case: that is very DM's initiative-dependent, while this ability damage would just kick in automatically when meeting the trigger.

Stormonu

Legend
In all the games I've run that I can remember, when the party stops to rest they have enough spells, resources or whatnot to be back up to full the next morning - or since they've stopped to rest in the first place, if they can't heal in one night they have plenty of time to hole up that they can fast-forward until they are fully healed. Either case, regaining full hp for a single night's rest wouldn't negatively affect my game as that pretty much happens already.

However, as others have mentioned, hit points are poor measure of lasting wounds; a low-level PC whose taken 20 hp of damage is in far worse shape than a high level PC whose taken the same damage, but under slowed healing rules those minor nicks and scratches on the high level PC would take longer to heal than the "near-death" experience the low level PC had.

If folks are concerned with simulating long lasting wounds, they need to look at a non-hp solution to emulate it, probably by inflicting conditions or vulnerabilities to future wounds - both being systems that, on the surface, will seem very un-D&D.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
The basic issue isn't around healing. It's the simple fact that mechanically there is no downside to resting. Now DMs can create reasons, but at the core Players are encouraged to be at max hps.

The fix is mechanical penalties for resting. If you take for example the 4e action point idea but made it so you started with 5 at the start of the adventure and lost one with each extended rest. It's one simple example you could use a variety of ideas. The key is that resting has a penalty so it becomes an actual choice

Uhm... I don't understand if incomplete healing is wanted because of atmosphere/realism or because people actually like having the extra challenge. I was rather assuming the first, but I'm not sure ...

Anyway, the idea is not really like the spellbook case: that is very DM's initiative-dependent, while this ability damage would just kick in automatically when meeting the trigger.

This is part of that cross purposes I mentioned eariler. The spell book example is mechanically unlike what we are discussing, but it is another example of a drawback that often does not actually happen, and thus doesn't often apply.

What Stalker0 suggested is one of the few things that can bridge this gap, in that it has direct influence on both players and characters in the world.

If you really screw over the characters (in the game world)--lot of hit point damage, steal their spell books, do significant ability score damage, drain levels, break magic items, and so forth--then the players will have their characters react however they those characters are geared: anguish, determination, fear, irritation, etc. If what they are currently doing is important to them, they'll push on as long as they think they have a chance--and maybe beyond that point.

You do all that exact same stuff to the players (by monkeying with their characters), and it depends on how invested the players are in those characters, and in what way, how they will react.

For some players, you need to give the player a reason to push on. For some players, you need to give the character a reason to push on. Sometimes, you really need both. Sometimes you need a strong reason, and sometimes any old reason will do (more a thin rationale than a reason).

So I wasn't disagreeing with ability score damage, but noting that 1d6 ability score damage when you hit zero hit points is primarily aimed at motivating characters, not players. Because doing that kind of relatively rare, relatively strong hit on a character is like stealing a spellbook. It's apt to prompt the players to nullify the problem, rather than push on in spite of it.

There are exceptions, of course. That's why I mentioned that you need fine control. What motivates Joe to buckle down and have Mr. Fighter press on may be the exact same thing that motivates Jane to have Ms. Wizard go fix the current drawback before pressing on. :D

I'm primarily coming at this from the "player psychology" perspective. Consider this, even though it is blurring these lines, I think it does illustrate the different well enough. Let's say you want a dragon fight. You aren't going to force it, but you'd like for it to happen. (Nevermind the issue of whether you should or not. Hypothetically, you want it, and your players aren't completely opposed to such things.) You can go one of two ways, or blend them, depending on your group:
  • You rachet up the drama of the situation so that the characters are gonna fight that dragon if at all possible. You make them care to fight it, even if they "know" it is a TPK. The tougher you make the dragon, short of it being able to 1-round TPK, the higher the drama and tension.
  • You tempt the players to tangle with the dragon by making it tough, but not too tough, and likely to have a dragon's treasure, something else they want, etc. The tougher you make the dragon, the more you discourage the players from doing what you want.
Now with a guy like me, same as with a lot of people, who plays with the same group nearly all the time, and knows them well, I can hit a sweet spot in the middle, where I'm racheting drama but keeping an upper lid on the toughness, so that I get some of the benefits of both. The line is different with every player. But the point is that you can't just pursue one motivation full bore without eventually having a counter-productive motivation on the other side.

Too much focus on the "atmosphere of grit" at the expense of real drawbacks is all focus on character motivation, not player motivation. With most players, there is a point where continuing to pursue the atmosphere is counter-productive to the result you want.

Kraydak

First Post
Being deep in enemy territory, low on health, and needing multiple Cleric spell loads to heal up (do you dare cast all the heals before resting again?) is interesting times! Even minor wandering monster encounters can slow the recovery significantly, raising tension.

Uller

Adventurer
I can't believe how much of the playtest conversation this topic has taken. It's gotta be pushing 100 pages on all the various threads.

I don't think WotC is going to do anything complex. The focus of 5e seems to be on a game that keeps moving forward. Having long healing times, wound systems etc tend to act as a brake on the game. It's like basic macro-economics...if you make something more expensive, you'll have less of it. If adventuring exacts a toll on PCs (forcing them to rest for more than a few days to get back to full hp/spells) then they will delay adventuring.

For my part, the only thing I don't like about the current 5e rules is that you go from 1 hp to full instantly after 8 hours of rest. There needs to be a hp per unit time rate that can be easily changed. My plan is something like this: Same rules for when you can start a long rest (only one per 24 hours and you must have 1 hp to begin). For every 2 hours of complete rest you get back one quarter of your max HD that you can immediately spend or save for use in a future short rest. It is rounded down but you always get at least 1 HD. During periods of moderate activity (walking/riding), you gain 1/4 of your HD every 8 hours that can be used immediately or saved for short rests.

So let's say the 3rd level fighter (32 max hp, 3 HD) is at 2 hp and 0 HD. He rested 2 hours ago. So he cannot begin to rest until 14 hours have passed...however he gets HD back at the "moderate activity" rate during that time. So after 8 hours he gets 1d12. He uses it...after 6 more hours he starts his complete rest...So every 2 hours he can gain back 1d12 HP for a max of 8 hours (4d12)...then he goes back to the slower rate again through the day.

Something like that...maybe something simpler...But a rate of healing and a chance to roll for how many hp you get. If 5e does something like that people can easily make the time periods longer.

RigaMortus2

First Post
If hit points represent physical damage as well as exhaustion/luck, healing should do the same. So how about this.

Using mundane healing, including an extended rest, you can only heal up to half your max hit points. To top off, you'll need to use magical resources to go from full to max?

Remove ads